author affiliations, superscript (in iopart.cls)

ASchrauwen

Aug 29, 2016, 3:35:59 PM8/29/16
Hi all,

When editing my manuscript for submission to an IOP journal using iopart.cls, I encounter a problem in the author affiliations. These author affiliations should be added simply by using the superscript command $^1$:

\author{author1$ˆ1$, author2$ˆ2$}
\address{$ˆ1$ address1}
\address{$ˆ2$ address2}

However, in neither the author list, nor the address list the number is displayed as a superscript number in the pdf. In the title and the text it works all fine and I don't have any issues, only in \author and \address.

Anyone an idea what could be the reason and how to solve this?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Annelore

Alain Ketterlin

Aug 29, 2016, 4:47:29 PM8/29/16
ASchrauwen <annelore....@gmail.com> writes:

> When editing my manuscript for submission to an IOP journal using
> iopart.cls, I encounter a problem in the author affiliations. These
> author affiliations should be added simply by using the superscript
> command $^1$:

(Side note: oipart.cls looks rather odd. It is full of old-style \tt,
\bf and so on. Anyway...)

> \author{author1$ˆ1$, author2$ˆ2$}
> \address{$ˆ1$ address1}
> \address{$ˆ2$ address2}
>
> However, in neither the author list, nor the address list the number
> is displayed as a superscript number in the pdf. In the title and the
> text it works all fine and I don't have any issues, only in \author
> and \address.

I don't know if the snippet above is an extract of your file, but the
characters before the digits are not regular ^ (CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT,
codepoint 94). Emacs tells me yours are "MODIFIER LETTER CIRCUMFLEX
ACCENT", codepoint 710). I guess the log file should mention some kind
of problem.

Check your file and see what kind of ^ you have there, and check the
manual of your editor to get the right ones.

-- Alain.

ASchrauwen

Aug 30, 2016, 1:01:57 PM8/30/16
OMG, that was it, thank you so much! It was really a mystery to me!

Thanks again,
Annelore