problem with harvard and pdftex problem

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Oct 25, 2001, 3:41:22 PM10/25/01
Today I upgraded to miktex 2.1 and so far the file with the following
preamble worked fine, now it only works with Latex, not pdftex anymore:

\documentclass[12pt,BCOR8mm,a4paper,oneside,nochapterprefix,noappendixprefix,bibtotoc,idxtotoc,openbib]{scrartcl}%{scrreprt}

\usepackage [german] {babel}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{harvard}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage[flushmargin]{footmisc}
\newcommand{\remr}{\textcolor{red}}
\newcommand{\remg}{\textcolor{green}}
\newcommand{\remb}{\textcolor{blue}}
\newcommand{\reff}[1]{(\ref{#1})}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{0.25cm}
\ifpdf
\usepackage[pdfsubject={Subjekt},pdftitle={Titel},pdfauthor={me},linkcolor=blue,citecolor=blue,urlcolor=blue,colorlinks=true,pdfproducer={PDFLaTeX},pdfcreator={LaTeX
2e},pdftex]{hyperref}
\else
\newcommand{\href}[2]{#2}
\fi

The error message says something about: ! LaTeX Error: command
\harvarditem already defined.
or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual

I think there might be a problem with the hyperref command, can anyone
help me?

Uwe

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Oct 25, 2001, 4:05:02 PM10/25/01
I thing harvard is to be blamed, if i delete \usepackage{harvard},
everything is fine. This morning with old Miktex it wa fine.

Heiko Oberdiek

Nov 4, 2001, 5:25:23 PM11/4/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:41:22 +0200, Uwe Ziegenhagen
<mmed...@wiwi.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> [...] now it only works with Latex, not pdftex anymore:
>
> \usepackage{harvard}

> \usepackage[pdfsubject={Subjekt},pdftitle={Titel},pdfauthor={me},linkcolor=blue,citecolor=blue,urlcolor=blue,colorlinks=true,pdfproducer={PDFLaTeX},pdfcreator={LaTeX
> 2e},pdftex]{hyperref}

hyperref is already loaded by html.sty (harvard.sty), so use:
\hypersetup{pdfsubject={}, ...}

> The error message says something about: ! LaTeX Error: command
> \harvarditem already defined.
> or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual

1. harvard should be loaded before hyperref, because hyperref has
to detect it and redefined some commands.
2. At the begin harvard loads html.sty if present.
3. html.sty loads hyperref if pdfTeX is detected.
4. hyperref overwrites some commands of harvard.
5. hyperref defines its commands and \newcommand
sees already defined commands.

To solve this, I have updated hyperref. It now redefines the
commands at time \begin{document}.

http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/hyperref.zip
2001/11/04 v6.71t

Yours sincerely
Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>

Peter Flynn

Nov 6, 2001, 5:18:47 PM11/6/01
Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> 1. harvard should be loaded

Certainly should be, all that research funding they take in...

///Peter

srinat...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 8:59:26 AM8/16/17