Separating footnote markers with an en dash.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Oct 13, 2017, 1:17:51 PM10/13/17
I am using the memoir class, and in places I want a lot of footnotes
one after another. I have studied Chapter 12 of the manual without
finding a way of doing what I want, which is to have the footmarkers
like this:

1-6

and not like this

1,2,3,4,5,6

Here is a minimal example:

\documentclass{memoir}
\begin{document}
\noindent Smith wrote a long series of papers about this.\footnote{A
footnote}\footnote{Another footnote}\footnote{Yet another}\footnote{And
another}\footnote{A fifth}\footnote{A sixth}\\[0.2cm]
That gives all the footnote markers separated with commas, but I'd like
the text to look like this:\\[0.2cm]
Smith wrote a long series of papers about this.$^{1-6}$
\end{document}

--
athel

Peter Flynn

Oct 13, 2017, 2:08:09 PM10/13/17
On 13/10/17 18:17, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> I am using the memoir class, and in places I want a lot of footnotes one
> after another. I have studied Chapter 12 of the manual without finding a
> way of doing what I want, which is to have the footmarkers like this:
>
> 1-6
>
> and not like this
>
> 1,2,3,4,5,6

Like this?

\documentclass{memoir}
\parskip2mm
\parindent0pt
\begin{document}
Smith wrote a long series of papers about this.\footnote{A
footnote\label{foo}}\footnote{Another footnote}\footnote{Yet
another}\footnote{And another}\footnote{A fifth}\footnote{A
sixth\label{bar}}

That gives all the footnote markers separated with commas, but I'd
like the text to look like this:

Smith wrote a long series of papers about
this.\textsuperscript{\ref{foo}--\ref{bar}}
\end{document}

It could be automated, eg \footnoterange{foo}{bar} but whichever way,
you should do it with labels and refs so that you don't have to worry
about later editing upsetting the numbering scheme.

(BTW don't use \\[.2cm] it you actually mean a new paragraph. \\ is for
*premature* line-breaks, not normal ones.)

///Peter

Clemens Niederberger

Oct 14, 2017, 4:53:22 AM10/14/17
Am 13.10.2017 um 19:17 schrieb Athel Cornish-Bowden:
> I am using the memoir class, and in places I want a lot of footnotes one
> after another. I have studied Chapter 12 of the manual without finding a
> way of doing what I want, which is to have the footmarkers like this:
>
> 1-6
>
> and not like this
>
> 1,2,3,4,5,6

There is the footnoterange package:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/44165/5049

Clemens Niederberger

Oct 14, 2017, 5:12:24 AM10/14/17
Am 13.10.2017 um 20:08 schrieb Peter Flynn:
> \documentclass{memoir} \parskip2mm \parindent0pt \begin{document}

One shouldn't set \parskip directly. The memoir manual recommends to use

\documentclass{memoir}
\nonzeroparskip
% or \abnormalparskip{2mm}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\begin{document}

Quoting the memoir manual v3.7f, 2016/05/16, p49:

> The length \parskip is the inter-paragraph spacing, and is normally
> 0pt. You can change this by saying, for example:
> \setlength{\parskip}{2\baselineskip}> but you are likely to find that many things have changed that you did
> not expect, because LaTeX uses the \par command in many places that are
> not obvious.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Oct 14, 2017, 9:57:29 AM10/14/17
Thanks (to Clemens as well). \footnoterange seems it should be like
just what I want. Unfortunaely I can't get it to work. Even the
following example, which is reproduced (apart from lines beinning %)
from
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/44165/compressing-consecutive-footnote-marks,

======

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{footnoterange}
\begin{document}
This text bears a multiplicity of footnotes%
\begin{footnoterange}%
\footnote{Lorum}\footnote{ipsum}\footnote{dolor}%
\footnote{sit}\footnote{amet,}\footnote{consectetur}%
\footnote{adipisicing}\footnote{elit}%
\end{footnoterange}%
which are referenced as one footnoterange.
\end{document}

======

gives an error on the penultimate line: extra }, or forgotten endgroup.
It's quite happy with \begin{footnoterange}, but doesn't like
\end{footnoterange}.

Your own example works as intended for the second reference to the set
of footnotes, but not for the first, which still come out separated by
commas. Is there a way to define and label footnotes without actually
implementing them?

Incidentally, I knew I was being naughty with \\[.2cm], and I wouldn't
do that in a real document.

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Oct 14, 2017, 12:57:14 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14 13:57:24 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:

> On 2017-10-13 18:08:01 +0000, Peter Flynn said:
>
>> [ ... ]

> Thanks (to Clemens as well). \footnoterange seems it should be like
> just what I want. Unfortunately I can't get it to work.

> [ ... ]

Just a quick note to say that I've got it to do what I want in a real
document (using footnotetext[4]{fnote}), albeit in a clunky way,
manually numbering the footnotes and resetting the footnote counter.
It's not ideal, but it works, and there will only be one or places in
the document where I need a lot of footnotes together.

--
athel

Peter Wilson

Oct 14, 2017, 2:59:06 PM10/14/17
On 13/10/17 18:17, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
I was, reluctantly, going to suggest you might have a better chance
of answers if you asked on TeX Stack Exchange (tex.stackexchange.com) as
that seems to be the place where everyone goes now. However you do have
some answers.

I was not aware of the footnoterange package. However I tried it
with both the memoir and book classes and it failed with an error
report. Here's an MWE.

\documentclass{memoir}% or book
\usepackage{footnoterange}
\begin{document}
Some text.\footnote{A}\footnote{B}

Another paragraph.%
\begin{footnoterange}
\footnote{C}\footnote{D}\footnote{E}
\end{footnoterange}

Third paragraph.
\end{document}

I know that typographically one is meant to put footnotes at the
end of the relevant sentence but then if there are multiple footnotes to
which part of the sentence does each refer to? How about footnoting
internally adjacent to the relevant words or having one big footnote at
the end incorporating all the individual ones (as in:
Smith wrote a long series of papers.\footnote{paper1, paper2, paper3.})?

Peter W.

Peter Flynn

Oct 14, 2017, 3:00:12 PM10/14/17
On 14/10/17 10:11, Clemens Niederberger wrote:
> Am 13.10.2017 um 20:08 schrieb Peter Flynn:
>> \documentclass{memoir} \parskip2mm \parindent0pt \begin{document}
>
> One shouldn't set \parskip directly. The memoir manual recommends to use

I'm not a memoir user so I was unfamiliar with their recommendations.
But yes, abiding by their way of doing things would be a good idea.

On 14/10/17 14:57, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2017-10-13 18:08:01 +0000, Peter Flynn said:

>> It could be automated, eg \footnoterange{foo}{bar}
>> [...]
> Thanks (to Clemens as well). \footnoterange seems it should be like
> just what I want. Unfortunaely I can't get it to work.

I must apologise. I had no idea there actually was a package called
footnoterange.

I was actually just suggesting a macro to tidy up the way I had
expressed it...not suggesting to use the footnoterange package that I
was unaware of :-)

> Even the following example, which is reproduced (apart from lines
> beinning %) from
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/44165/compressing-consecutive-footnote-marks,[snip]

Looks broken to me. It complains about
LaTeX Warning: Reference `*' on page 1 undefined on input line 9.

and then complains about some of its own code:

! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
\endfootnoterange ...ref *{fnr:\fnr@first }}}\fi }

> Your own example works as intended for the second reference to the set
> of footnotes, but not for the first, which still come out separated by
> commas.

Ah. You want the *points of reference* to be a range? Sorry, I had
misunderstood your original (about this.$^{1-6}$) to mean you only
wanted references to the footnotes as a range.

> Is there a way to define and label footnotes without actually
> implementing them?

That does appear to be what the footnoterange package intends.
But like you, I can't see why it's broken.

> Incidentally, I knew I was being naughty with \\[.2cm], and I wouldn't
> do that in a real document.

:-) All documents are real :-)

///Peter