BibTex Error "no \citation command"

Evan

May 10, 2009, 5:14:26 PM5/10/09

I am having trouble getting my bibliography to appear in my document.
I'm using TeXShop for mac and this is my first time using LaTeX and
while there have been some hiccups, this one has really stumped me.

Here's what I've done so far:

.bib and .tex files are in the same folder.

Checked formatting issues within the .bib file by downloading
sample .bib files from help sites. (they don't work either).

\usepackage {apacite} at the top of the document.

and

\bibliographystyle{apacite}
\bibliography{thesis}

at the end of the file.

I run LaTeX typeset, then bibtex typeset at which point I get this
error:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.7)
The top-level auxiliary file: test.aux
The style file: apacite.bst
I found no \citation commands---while reading file test.aux
Database file #1: thesis.bib
apacite.bst [2009/03/01 v4.05 APA bibliography style]
(There was 1 error message)

Then I run LaTex typset again and again.

The references heading appears, but no actual sources.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help!

Dirk

May 10, 2009, 5:56:37 PM5/10/09
On May 10, 5:14 pm, Evan <EvanGilles...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What am I doing wrong?

You need to say which references you want to appear!

Either by choosing them in your .tex file using \cite{key}, or with
\nocite{key} if nothing should appear in the text.

If you want all entries from your bib file to appear, use \nocite{*}

You can think of the .bib file as your database, and with \cite you
pick the entries you want.

- Dirk

Evan

May 10, 2009, 6:26:28 PM5/10/09
Wow...

I knew it was something that simple. You won't believe how long I
looked for the solution.

Thanks so much!