BibLaTeX: biber crashes with SEGV

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Aug 11, 2017, 11:41:54 AM8/11/17

in my book project with an 1100 references bib-file biber crashes with
"signal: SEGV". It claims the bib-file has a "very bad entry which
causes libbtparse to crash: Inappropriate I/O control operation", but
without telling me which entry is at fault.

biber --tool -V produces only a few warnings (no errors), bibTeX can use
the file and Jabref can open it with no problem.

OS: Win10-64

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Engelbert

--
DIN EN ISO 9241-13: 9.5.3 Error messages should convey what is wrong,
what corrective actions can be taken, and the cause of the error.

Axel Berger

Aug 11, 2017, 12:50:58 PM8/11/17
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
> Any ideas?

Brute force. With 1100 entries it will take 10 halvings and about 15
runs and you're there.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Aug 15, 2017, 6:22:24 AM8/15/17
In article <598DE051...@Berger-Odenthal.De>, Spam@Berger-
Odenthal.De says...

> Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
> > Any ideas?
>
> Brute force. With 1100 entries it will take 10 halvings and about 15
> runs and you're there.

One should never ask a question if one is not sure that one will like
the answer ;-(

The problem occurs with a bib-file with a single entry:

@ARTICLE{Abb-73,
title = {Beiträge zur {T}heorie des {M}ikroskops und der
mikroskopischen {W}ahrnehmung},
author = {Abbe, E.},
journal = {Arch. Mikr. Anat.},
year = {1873},
pages = {413-420},
volume = {9},
abstract = {beugungsbedingte Auflösungsgrenze des Mikroskops},
doi = {10.1007/BF02956173},
language = {ger},
}

Now, what is so bad about this?

Heiner Richter

Aug 15, 2017, 8:21:59 AM8/15/17
Am 15.Aug.2017 um 12:22 schrieb Dr Engelbert Buxbaum:
> In article <598DE051...@Berger-Odenthal.De>, Spam@Berger-
> Odenthal.De says...
>>
>> Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Brute force. With 1100 entries it will take 10 halvings and about 15
>> runs and you're there.
>
> One should never ask a question if one is not sure that one will like
> the answer ;-(
>
> The problem occurs with a bib-file with a single entry:
>
> @ARTICLE{Abb-73,
> title = {Beiträge zur {T}heorie des {M}ikroskops und der
> mikroskopischen {W}ahrnehmung},
> author = {Abbe, E.},
> journal = {Arch. Mikr. Anat.},
> year = {1873},
> pages = {413-420},
> volume = {9},
> abstract = {beugungsbedingte Auflösungsgrenze des Mikroskops},
> doi = {10.1007/BF02956173},
> language = {ger},
> }
>
> Now, what is so bad about this?

Nothing, no crash with this:

\begin{filecontents}{\jobname.bib}
@ARTICLE{Abb-73, title = {Beiträge zur {T}heorie des {M}ikroskops und
der mikroskopischen {W}ahrnehmung}, author = {Abbe, E.}, journal =
{Arch. Mikr. Anat.}, year = {1873}, pages = {413-420}, volume = {9},
abstract = {beugungsbedingte Auflösungsgrenze des Mikroskops}, doi =
{10.1007/BF02956173}, language = {ger}, }
\end{filecontents}
\documentclass{scrbook}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[french,ngerman]{babel}
\usepackage[backend=biber]{biblatex}
\addbibresource{\jobname.bib}
\nocite{*}
\begin{document}
\printbibliography
\end{document}
--
Heiner Richter

Herbert Voss

Aug 15, 2017, 2:28:47 PM8/15/17
Am 15.08.2017 um 12:22 schrieb Dr Engelbert Buxbaum:

> The problem occurs with a bib-file with a single entry:
>
> @ARTICLE{Abb-73,
> title = {Beiträge zur {T}heorie des {M}ikroskops und der
> mikroskopischen {W}ahrnehmung},
> author = {Abbe, E.},
> journal = {Arch. Mikr. Anat.},
> year = {1873},
> pages = {413-420},
> volume = {9},
> abstract = {beugungsbedingte Auflösungsgrenze des Mikroskops},
> doi = {10.1007/BF02956173},
> language = {ger},

shouldn't that be

language = {german},

> }

However, it doesn't crash with TL2017 and Linux

Herbert

Peter Flynn

Aug 15, 2017, 5:05:53 PM8/15/17
On 15/08/17 11:22, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
> In article <598DE051...@Berger-Odenthal.De>, Spam@Berger-
> Odenthal.De says...
>>
>> Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Brute force. With 1100 entries it will take 10 halvings and about 15
>> runs and you're there.
>
> One should never ask a question if one is not sure that one will like
> the answer ;-(
>
> The problem occurs with a bib-file with a single entry:
>
> @ARTICLE{Abb-73,
> title = {Beiträge zur {T}heorie des {M}ikroskops und der
> mikroskopischen {W}ahrnehmung},
> author = {Abbe, E.},
> journal = {Arch. Mikr. Anat.},
> year = {1873},
> pages = {413-420},
> volume = {9},
> abstract = {beugungsbedingte Auflösungsgrenze des Mikroskops},
> doi = {10.1007/BF02956173},
> language = {ger},
> }
>
> Now, what is so bad about this?

Comma after {ger}, not needed because it's the last field?

///Peter