Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

cyrus A. Ramezani

Nov 4, 1994, 4:31:20 PM11/4/94

Dear Tex/LaTex experts,

I have a simple question: I use latex \eqno{} to number equations. This places numbers
on the far right side of the paper. I am preparing a manuscript for a journal that requries
the numbers to be on the far left side. Any ideas how to achieve this?

I would be greatful if you would reply directly to my email

rame...@cyrus.famres.wisc.edu

Thank you.

Donald Arseneau

Nov 5, 1994, 7:50:00 AM11/5/94
In article <39e978$7...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, rame...@cyrus.famres.wisc.edu writes...

> I have a simple question: I use latex \eqno{} to number equations.

That's hard. There is no LaTeX \eqno! There is the raw TeX command \eqno
that you should not use in LaTeX, but you may use in plain TeX.

> This places numbers on the far right side of the paper.

>how to achieve numbers on the far left side. ?

If you are actually using plain TeX, use \leqno (and \leqalignno).

For LaTeX... I don't see an appropriate sub-style, so you should
probably use ams-LaTeX.

If that is impossible, give this a try...

\makeatletter
\def\@eqnnum{{\reset@font\rm \kern-\displaywidth\rlap{(\theequation)}%
\kern\displaywidth}}

Donald Arseneau as...@reg.triumf.ca

Robin Fairbairns

Nov 5, 1994, 9:44:56 AM11/5/94
In article <5NOV1994...@reg.triumf.ca>,

Ho hum... The leqno option (either to \documentstyle in 2.09 or to
\documentclass in 2e) does this for LaTeX.
--
Robin (Campaign for the Third Programme) Fairbairns r...@cl.cam.ac.uk
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge CB2 3QG, UK

Donald Arseneau

Nov 5, 1994, 12:19:00 PM11/5/94
In article <39g5p8$8...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, r...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes...

>Donald Arseneau <as...@reg.triumf.ca> wrote:
>>For LaTeX... I don't see an appropriate sub-style, ...

>Ho hum... The leqno option (either to \documentstyle in 2.09 or to
>\documentclass in 2e) does this for LaTeX.

Ho ho! I really thought there was one... I don't know why I could
neither remember nor find leqno.

Donald Arseneau as...@reg.triumf.ca

Andrew Mathas

Nov 6, 1994, 11:00:42 AM11/6/94

In article <5NOV1994...@reg.triumf.ca> Donald Arseneau writes:
|> > I have a simple question: I use latex \eqno{} to number equations.
|>
|> That's hard. There is no LaTeX \eqno! There is the raw TeX command \eqno
|> that you should not use in LaTeX, but you may use in plain TeX.

Is this a moral statement or is there some deeper reason underlying it (this
begets the question is there depth in morality)?

Andrew

Mark Saul

Sep 3, 2021, 11:36:19 AM9/3/21
I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble. Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.

But the label is never in the right place.

For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not centered].
And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
gives (1)
x+3 = 7 [centered, but on the next line]

How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line, with the equation centered in the middle of that line?

All the examples I can find online seem to assume that I want EVERY equation numbered consecutively (I don't) and/or I have a list of equations to be numbered (I don't).

Ulrich Diez

Sep 3, 2021, 1:31:57 PM9/3/21
Mark Saul wrote:

> I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using
> Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble.
> Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.
>
> But the label is never in the right place.
>
> For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
> gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not centered].
> And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
> gives (1)
> x+3 = 7 [centered, but on the next line]
>
> How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line,
> with the equation centered in the middle of that line?

Put the command \leqno / \eqno _behind_ the equation in question:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}
$$x+3 = 7\eqno{(1)}$$
$$x+3 = 7$$
$$x+3 = 7\leqno{(2)}$$
\end{document}

Regarding vertical glue with \eqno and \leqno remember
TeXbook Chapter 19: Displayed Equations

| After a display has been read, ...
|
| (Continuation.) TeX is now ready to put things onto the current vertical list,
| just after the material previously constructed for the paragraph-so-far. First
| comes a penalty item, whose cost is an integer parameter called \predisplaypenalty.
| Then comes glue. If d + s ≤ p, or
| _if_ _there_ _was_ _a_ _left_ _equation_ _number_ _(\leqno)_,
| TeX sets g_a and g_b to glue items specified by the parameters \abovedisplayskip and
| \belowdisplayskip, respectively; otherwise g_a and g_b become glue items correspond-
| ing to \abovedisplayshortskip and \belowdisplayshortskip. [Translation: If the
| predisplaysize is short enough so that it doesn’t overlap the displayed formula, the glue
| above and below the display will be “short” by comparison with the glue that is used
| when there is an overlap.] If e = 0 and if there is an \leqno, the equation number is
| appended as an hbox by itself, shifted right s and preceded by interline glue as usual;
| an infinite penalty is also appended, to prevent a page break between this number and
| the display. Otherwise a glue item ga is placed on the vertical list.

Sincerely

Ulrich

John Doe

Sep 3, 2021, 1:33:13 PM9/3/21
Howdy,

Don't use $$...$$ in Latex. Un-numbered displayed equations use \[...\] or the
equation* environment while numbered equations use the equation environment.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}

See the numbered equation \eqref{myeq} below. I'll make the line exteded so
you can see the centering.

\[
x + 3 = 7
\]

\begin{equation}
x + 3 = 7 \label{myeq}
\end{equation}

\end{document}

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

jfh

Sep 3, 2021, 5:39:49 PM9/3/21
Mark was using amsmath so once he has managed to get equation numbers in the right place for him with the equation environment he should learn about the other environments gather, align and alignat, all of which do things he may find useful.

Ulrike Fischer

Sep 4, 2021, 6:28:42 AM9/4/21
Am Fri, 3 Sep 2021 08:36:16 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Mark Saul:

> I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand.
> I'm using Latex, and have the statement
> \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble. Latex now recognizes
> things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.

[leqno] is not there to define \leqno. \leqno is a tex primitive
command which always defined, but you shouldn't use it in LaTeX

> But the label is never in the right place.
> All the examples I can find online seem to assume

The internet is sometimes overrated. And most importantly it
contains a lot of nonesense. amsmath has a documentation which you
get with "texdoc amsmath" and it describes various ways to change
the numbering

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}