decompress tar.gz

W. Bauer

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Dear all

I've downloaded latex2html-98_1p1.tar.gz from CTAN; but I can't unzip
the
files on my W95 system with Winzip. Where can I get the necessary
software
to this?

Many thanks and best regards, W. Bauer

Juerg Tschirren

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00

The newer versions of WinZip should be able to do that. You may want to
update your version. An alternative would be to use Cygwin from
www.cygnus.com. This gives you the full power of all the Unix command
line tools, including gunzip and tar which are the two tools you need
for your current problem (and much more very useful things like grep,
sed ...). Cygwin is opensource and therefore freely available.

Juerg

W. Bauer

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
to Juerg Tschirren
Juerg Tschirren wrote:

> The newer versions of WinZip should be able to do that. You may want to
> update your version.

Thanks for your answer; I扉e got a pretty new version of Winzip that says
in help it could deal with TAR and GZ. And I believe to remember that I've
already decompressed such files. But whenever I try to extract the files
from latex2html-98_1p1.tar.gz or latex2html-98_1.tar.gz, I get the message
"Error reading header after processing 0 entries."

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Best regards, W. Bauer

Jens Berger

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
"W. Bauer" schrieb:

> Thanks for your answer; I扉e got a pretty new version of Winzip that says
> in help it could deal with TAR and GZ. And I believe to remember that I've
> already decompressed such files. But whenever I try to extract the files
> from latex2html-98_1p1.tar.gz or latex2html-98_1.tar.gz, I get the message
> "Error reading header after processing 0 entries."

I had such problems some months ago, because applications like Netscape
(older versions ?) renamed the `.tar.gz' into `_tar.gz' and AFAIR WinZip
gave the message you said.

Make sure that the name contains both dots. And better use

http://saftsack.fs.uni-bayreuth.de/~latex2ht/current/latex2html-99.2beta6.tar.gz

IMHO it's much easier to install under Windows than any earlier version.
You know you will need DCOM too under Win95?

regards

Jens
--
Q: After bootup, a linux machine hangs, showing the error
message `login:'. How can I fix this?

<http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~jberger>

W. Bauer

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00

> I had such problems some months ago, because applications like Netscape
> (older versions ?) renamed the `.tar.gz' into `_tar.gz' and AFAIR WinZip
> gave the message you said.

You're right; I manually renamed the file but this didn't help. So I downloaded the
software with FTP instead of Netscape and it works fine.

> You know you will need DCOM too under Win95?

No I don't. What is this?

Thanks and best regards, W. Bauer

Jens Berger

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
"W. Bauer" schrieb:

Distributed Component Object Model

It will be needed (only for win95 machines) by Perl

http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePerl/

which you need to run LaTeX2HTML.

You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/dcom1_3.asp

That's really overkill ;-) But it works very good for me (I never need
DCOM, is that the reason?).

HTH

Stefan Bellon

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
In article <38E79A0C...@gmx.net>,
W. Bauer <wb...@gmx.net> wrote:

> > I had such problems some months ago, because applications like
> > Netscape (older versions ?) renamed the `.tar.gz' into `_tar.gz'
> > and AFAIR WinZip gave the message you said.

> You're right; I manually renamed the file but this didn't help. So I
> downloaded the software with FTP instead of Netscape and it works
> fine.

Then it's Netscape not having application/x-gtar as a MIME type of
.tar.gz and .tgz. Then it converts all occurences of 0x0a to 0x0d 0x0a
during download, rendering the archive corrupt.

You have several options:

* make Netscape detect .tar.gz files and download them properly
* do a search and replace (may cause corrupt archive as well, if indeed
0x0d 0x0a was intended)
* don't use Netscape in order to download .tar.gz files

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbe...@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>

'Work fascinates me - I could sit and watch it for hours'

Victor Wagner

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
W. Bauer <wb...@gmx.net> wrote:
: Juerg Tschirren wrote:

:> The newer versions of WinZip should be able to do that. You may want to
:> update your version.

: Thanks for your answer; I╢ve got a pretty new version of Winzip that says

: in help it could deal with TAR and GZ. And I believe to remember that I've
: already decompressed such files. But whenever I try to extract the files
: from latex2html-98_1p1.tar.gz or latex2html-98_1.tar.gz, I get the message
: "Error reading header after processing 0 entries."

: Does this sound familiar to anybody?

It seems that you've downloaded file using ASCII mode ftp.
Try to download it again using command-line ftp.exe program, and don't
forget to say "binary" before "get latex2html-98_1p1.tar.gz"

Sometimes corrupted downloads can be fixed by replacing all
"\r\n" sequences in the file by just "\n", but if you are not a
programmer and file is not hundreds of megabytes, I would recommend you
to just re-download.