METAFONT mode mismatch

k y Fung

Feb 21, 2017, 12:35:32 AM2/21/17
Got this error message when I tried to print my DVI file from the YAP previewer to the Adobe PDF writer:

MiKTeX Problem Report
Message: METAFONT mode mismatch.
Data: info="1200 vs. 600"
Source: Programs\MiKTeX\Yap\MFC\print.cpp
Line: 56
MiKTeX: 2.9
OS: Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit, build 14393
Invokers: explorer/WinEdt
SystemAdmin: no
PowerUser: no
Root0: C:\Users\strat\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
Root1: C:\Users\strat\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
Root2: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
Root3: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9
UserInstall: C:\Users\strat\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserConfig: C:\Users\strat\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserData: C:\Users\strat\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonInstall: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9
CommonConfig: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonData: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9

Anyone knows what went wrong? I know there is PDFLaTeX, but there are other reasons I am not using PDFLaTeX. Thanks in advance.

Peter Flynn

Feb 21, 2017, 4:40:29 PM2/21/17
On 02/21/2017 05:35 AM, k y Fung wrote:
> Got this error message when I tried to print my DVI file from the YAP
> previewer to the Adobe PDF writer:
>
> MiKTeX Problem Report
> Message: METAFONT mode mismatch.
> Data: info="1200 vs. 600"
> Source: Programs\MiKTeX\Yap\MFC\print.cpp
> Line: 56
[snip]

> Anyone knows what went wrong?

Looks like it means what it says, except that I don't know which way
round it is. Probably your PDF Writer expects 1200dpi for the bitmap
(Type 3) fonts, and your TeX installation (including Yap) is set to use
600dpi. But possibly the reverse.

I don't know where MikTeX keeps its METAFONT "mode" configuration, but
if you run the Settings menu or configuration tool, it should be in
there somewhere. It's the setting used by METAFONT when it has to
generate bitmaps for some non-Postscript font you are using. Find it and
set it to use a 1200dpi setting, then try running LaTeX again and see if
it converts properly.

If you can eliminate using such fonts, and use the Type 1 fonts instead,
you will possibly avoid the problem, but I know there are some
interesting and useful old fonts which are still only available in
METAFONT format.

I have never used a screen previewer to generate PDF from DVI. I'd
suggest you also try the more normal route with dvips to Postscript, and
then ps2pdf to create PDF.

> I know there is PDFLaTeX, but there are other reasons I am not
> using PDFLaTeX.

There are several :-) but I'm curious to know which ones affect your
choice in this case.

///Peter