Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year citations.

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 8:58:34 AM3/3/09
Hi all,

When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:

----------------------------
! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
citations.

(natbib) Press <return> to continue in numerical
citation style.

See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.

l.332 ...and\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers

?
----------------------------

Any hints?

--
.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

Lars Madsen

Mar 3, 2009, 9:16:12 AM3/3/09
Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
> following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:
>
> ----------------------------
> ! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
> citations.
>
> (natbib) Press <return> to continue in numerical
> citation style.
>

> See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
> Type H <return> for immediate help.
>
> l.332 ...and\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers
>
> ?
> ----------------------------
>
> Any hints?

full minimal example please

did you use bibtex or wrote the bibliography by hand?

did you use a style compatible with natbib?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 3, 2009, 9:39:38 AM3/3/09
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:58:34 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

> Hi all,
>
> When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
> following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:
>
> ----------------------------
> ! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
> citations.

> Any hints?

Use natbib with the option "numbers".

--
Ulrike Fischer

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 9:50:14 AM3/3/09
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:16:12 +0100, Lars Madsen
<dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> wrote:

>full minimal example please
>
>did you use bibtex or wrote the bibliography by hand?
>
>did you use a style compatible with natbib?

See the following one:

----------------------
\listfiles

\documentclass[10pt]{article}

\usepackage[numbers,sort&compress]{natbib}
\let\asas=\cite
\renewcommand\cite[1]{\textsuperscript{\asas{#1}}}
\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{a}{}{;}
\def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus .07em}

\begin{document}

\cite{Engel1997}

%\bibliographystyle{BibTeX_Entries/unsrt_gbt}
%\bibliographystyle{unsrt}
%\bibliography{BibTeX_Entries/PhD_Bibliography}

\begin{thebibliography}{1}

\bibitem{Engel1997}
{Engel G E}.
\newblock {Linear Response and the Exchange-Correlation Hole within a
Screened-Exchange Density Functional Theory}.
\newblock {\em Phys. Rev. Lett.}, 78(18):3515, 1997.

\end{thebibliography}

\end{document}
----------------------

The above example works smoothly with the following natbib version:

natbib.sty 2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)

But it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:

natbib.sty 2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO)

In the latter case, the errors are:

----------------------
! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
citations.

(natbib) Press <return> to continue in numerical
citation style.

See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.

l.4 ...mmand\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers

?
-----------------------

Regards,

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 9:51:29 AM3/3/09
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:39:38 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de>
wrote:

>Use natbib with the option "numbers".

I've used this option and please see my example.

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 3, 2009, 10:06:30 AM3/3/09
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 22:51:29 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

>>Use natbib with the option "numbers".
>
> I've used this option and please see my example.

But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n
instead of a:

\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}

--
Ulrike Fischer

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 10:19:07 AM3/3/09
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:06:30 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de>
wrote:

>But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n

>instead of a:
>
>\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}

Thanks.

But, why my example works with

natbib.sty 2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)

while it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:

natbib.sty 2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO).

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 3, 2009, 10:26:58 AM3/3/09
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:19:07 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

>>But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n
>>instead of a:
>>
>>\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}
>
> Thanks.
>
> But, why my example works with
>
> natbib.sty 2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)
>
> while it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:
>
> natbib.sty 2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO).

I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib
always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
in older versions. Check the log-file.

--
Ulrike Fischer

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 10:47:23 AM3/3/09
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:26:58 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de>
wrote:

>I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib

>always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
>in older versions. Check the log-file.

I've checked the logfile and find none warning.

Dan Luecking

Mar 3, 2009, 1:13:30 PM3/3/09
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:47:23 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
<hongy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:26:58 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de>
>wrote:
>
>>I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib
>>always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
>>in older versions. Check the log-file.
>
>I've checked the logfile and find none warning.

You should read other postings. This exact problem has
been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies.

The new natbib is better for doing so. The only improvement
one could hope for would be to make it claravoyant and
give the user what he wanted rather than what he asked for.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 3, 2009, 9:17:06 PM3/3/09
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <Look...@uark.edu>
wrote:

>You should read other postings. This exact problem has
>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies.

Any hints on the title of or link to this post?

>The new natbib is better for doing so. The only improvement
>one could hope for would be to make it claravoyant and
>give the user what he wanted rather than what he asked for.

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 4, 2009, 4:08:18 AM3/4/09
Am Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:17:06 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <Look...@uark.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>You should read other postings. This exact problem has
>>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies.
>
> Any hints on the title of or link to this post?

Search google.groups for
natbib Bibliography not compatible with author-year

--
Ulrike Fischer

Dan Luecking

Mar 4, 2009, 11:52:36 AM3/4/09
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:17:06 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
<hongy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <Look...@uark.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>You should read other postings. This exact problem has
>>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies.
>
>Any hints on the title of or link to this post?

I'm not sure how to specify a post generically, but here is
the google groups url, after searching for "natbib error"
and my name:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/a1a0b88cdd9ffec9/1dc17ea2e0a80601?lnk=gst&q=%22natbib+error%22+luecking#1dc17ea2e0a80601

And here is the message header of the start of the thread, as
I see it in my newsreader:

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Package Natbib Error (only new versions suffer from this)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:28:01 -0800 (PST)

Dominik Waßenhoven

Mar 4, 2009, 12:27:03 PM3/4/09
Dan Luecking wrote:

> I'm not sure how to specify a post generically, [...]

You could use the Message ID and a news: specifier, like this:

> And here is the message header of the start of the thread, as
> I see it in my newsreader:

> [...]

Here you have the Message-ID for this post. BTW, one can also search for
a specific Message-ID in Google Groups. But smart newsreaders should go
to the message (or pull it from the newsserver) if you give a <news:...>
link.

Regards,
Dominik.-
--
UK-TeX-FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html
minimal example: http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

Hongyi Zhao

Mar 4, 2009, 10:41:37 PM3/4/09
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:27:03 +0100, Dominik Wa?enhoven <dom...@web.de>
wrote:

>You could use the Message ID and a news: specifier, like this:

The main issue is that most of the newsservers will have retaining
duration for the messages. If the newsmaster has delete the
corresponding message, the above method will be futile.

In this case, the google group archive will be a good alternative way
due to its permanent backup for comp.text.tex.