Two dots on top of a character?

Peter Percival

Aug 22, 2017, 3:01:49 PM8/22/17
Is there something like $\dot{c}$ that will put two dots side-by-side on
top of $c$? (Think Newton's notation for second derivative.)
to me what you really mean.

Jakob Mendel

Aug 22, 2017, 3:14:18 PM8/22/17
Am 22.08.2017 um 21:01 schrieb Peter Percival:
> Is there something like $\dot{c}$ that will put two dots side-by-side on
> top of $c$? (Think Newton's notation for second derivative.)

From Stefan Schwarz/Rudolf Potu\v{c}ek, Das \TeX{}ikon.
Referenzhandbuch f\"ur \TeX{} und \LaTeX{}:

\documentclass{article}
\def\ddot{\mathaccent"707F}
\begin{document}
$c$ $\dot{c}$ $\ddot{c}$
\end{document}

HTH,
Jakob

Axel Berger

Aug 22, 2017, 3:23:51 PM8/22/17
Peter Percival wrote:
> Is there something like $\dot{c}$ that will put two dots side-by-side

Yes. \ddot{x} should always be available in math mode and with amsmath
there are also \dddot{x} and ddddot{x}. There is also stix math, where
they look a little different (worse imho).

Interestingly what I did not find there were x' x'' and x''' for by
length, by area and by volume (i.e. first to third derivatives by space
variables). Last time I needed them was decades ago and in handwriting,
but how do you write these in TeX?

Axel

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

Piet van Oostrum

Aug 23, 2017, 6:26:56 AM8/23/17
Axel Berger <Sp...@Berger-Odenthal.De> writes:

> Interestingly what I did not find there were x' x'' and x''' for by
> length, by area and by volume (i.e. first to third derivatives by space
> variables). Last time I needed them was decades ago and in handwriting,
> but how do you write these in TeX?

What about $x'$, $x''$ and $x'''$ ?

--
Piet van Oostrum <pie...@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://piet.vanoostrum.org/

Fred Smith

Aug 23, 2017, 8:03:49 AM8/23/17
On 2017-08-23, Piet van Oostrum <pie...@vanoostrum.org> wrote:
> Axel Berger <Sp...@Berger-Odenthal.De> writes:
>
>> Interestingly what I did not find there were x' x'' and x''' for by
>> length, by area and by volume (i.e. first to third derivatives by space
>> variables). Last time I needed them was decades ago and in handwriting,
>> but how do you write these in TeX?
>
> What about $x'$, $x''$ and $x'''$ ?

Or use \prime instead: $x^{\prime}$, $x^{\prime\prime}$ and
$x^{\prime\prime\prime}$. Makes a vertical quote.

Axel Berger

Aug 23, 2017, 8:06:44 AM8/23/17
Piet van Oostrum wrote:
> What about $x'$, $x''$ and $x'''$ ?

You're right, I should have hat more faith in TeX's mathematical mode.
Offhand I was not sure, that $x'''$ and \textit{x'''} really look as
differently as they do. As I said, after a change of discipline I have
not used math mode in ages.

Danke