Extra software to work with LaTeX

anter...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2007, 6:45:08 AM8/8/07
Hi everyone!

Only recently I've discovered JabRef, and I must say I like it :D,
it's great for working with bibliography.

What I ask you all now is:

Is there an application that you use, in addition to your LaTeX
editor, which makes your life much easier?

It would be great if we could make a compilation of apps to work with
(in bibliography, graphics, anything)... ofcourse there must be apps
that some like and others don't, but the purpose is to know them, try
them and then decide to use it or not!

I start :) and recomend:

JabRef

M. Tylee Atkinson

Aug 8, 2007, 7:15:54 AM8/8/07
I used to use JabRef but found it quite slow; now I use KBibTeX [1] and
think it really rocks!

Rubber [2] is quite good for easing the process of compiling LaTeX
documents, too.

Dia [3] and Inkscape [4] very good for making diagrams that go into
LaTeX documents.

epstopdf [5] helps when converting to the right vector format (e.g. for
pdflatex).

Packages I've really found useful include beamer [6], booktabs [7],
fixme [8], hyperref [9] and glossaries [10].

Hope this helps!

[1] http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~fischer/kbibtex/
[2] http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/
[3] http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/
[4] http://inkscape.org/
[5] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/epstopdf/
[6] http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/
[7] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/booktabs/
[8] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/fixme/
[9] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/hyperref/
[10] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/glossaries/
--
M. Tylee Atkinson <M.T.At...@lboro.ac.uk>

pluton

Aug 8, 2007, 7:47:53 AM8/8/07
also LaPrint if you use Matlab for graphics :

http://www.uni-kassel.de/fb16/rat/matlab/laprint/
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=4638&objectType=file

and Adobe Illustrator for eps schematics.

I know, it is not free!!

Pluton

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Aug 8, 2007, 7:52:10 AM8/8/07
anter...@gmail.com schrieb:

http://tpx.sourceforge.net/

for drawing under Windows.

Uwe

Lars Madsen

Aug 8, 2007, 8:05:26 AM8/8/07

we have had a lot of problems with eps files from AI, how do you stop if from
adding those preview tiff images into the eps?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Aug 8, 2007, 8:13:37 AM8/8/07
anter...@gmail.com schrieb:

Maybe sed and awk as well. When I have to convert ascii tables to LaTeX
tables they do an excellent job.

I also used ANT, the Java build tool together with LaTeX. It's like an
XML version of make, using some interesting features.

Uwe

Patrick Drechsler

Aug 8, 2007, 8:36:48 AM8/8/07
"anter...@gmail.com" <anter...@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there an application that you use, in addition to your LaTeX
> editor, which makes your life much easier?

Statistics:

Sweave[1] for nice integration of R[2] and LaTeX using noweb.

[1]: http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/FAQ.html
[2]: http://www.r-project.org/

Furthermore R has some packages to export nice tables directly in
LaTeX format:

xtable: http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/xtable.html
Hmisc: http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/Hmisc.html

Statistical tables and plots using S and LaTeX:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/StatReport/summary.pdf

Patrick

pluton

Aug 8, 2007, 8:41:56 AM8/8/07

> we have had a lot of problems with eps files from AI, how do you stop if from
> adding those preview tiff images into the eps?

well, I'm not an expert of the eps format but in Illustrator, when you
save your file,
if you unselect the box "include document Thumbnails", I think you
will not get any
preview tiff images into the eps. Otherwise, you can still use the
eps2eps tool that
will remove unwanted eps things like preview images but will rasterize
any font (I still
do not know why it does this job) included in your eps.

Pluton

M. Tylee Atkinson

Aug 8, 2007, 10:32:14 AM8/8/07
Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> Maybe sed and awk as well. When I have to convert ascii tables to LaTeX
> tables they do an excellent job.

The csvtools package [1] may be of use.

best regards,

[1]http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/obsolete/macros/latex/contrib/csvtools/

Kjell Magne Fauske

Aug 8, 2007, 4:11:29 PM8/8/07
On Aug 8, 12:45 pm, "anterone...@gmail.com" <anterone...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Bibconverter [1] for easy conversion of references from IEEEXplore,
Engineering Village and ISI Web of Science to the BibTeX format.

IPE for annotating and drawing graphics[2].

Subversion[3] for version control.

[1] http://www.bibconverter.net/
[2] http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/ipe/
[3] http://subversion.tigris.org/

- Kjell Magne Fauske

Peter Flynn

Aug 8, 2007, 6:19:47 PM8/8/07
anter...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Only recently I've discovered JabRef, and I must say I like it :D,
> it's great for working with bibliography.
>
> What I ask you all now is:
>
> Is there an application that you use, in addition to your LaTeX
> editor, which makes your life much easier?

Inkscape
GIMP
xpdf
Saxon/XSLT

///Peter

Bogdan Cristea

Aug 9, 2007, 3:15:51 AM8/9/07
On Aug 8, 1:45 pm, "anterone...@gmail.com" <anterone...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I would recommend xfig too. Together with jabref, these two apps are
the most useful to me when writing scientific docs with LaTeX

Juhapekka Tolvanen

Sep 30, 2007, 9:28:16 PM9/30/07

"anter...@gmail.com" <anter...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Only recently I've discovered JabRef, and I must say I like it :D,
> it's great for working with bibliography.
>
> What I ask you all now is:
>
> Is there an application that you use, in addition to your LaTeX
> editor, which makes your life much easier?

potrace for converting B/W pixel graphic to vector graphics. It is
necessary, if you run dvips when compiling your LaTeX-docs, because
dvips do not support pixel graphic formats, yet. But it might be good
idea to switch to pdflatex, xetex and ConTeXt.

pstoedit for converting from vector graphics to some other vector
graphics format.

GNU Make for running all commands in right order and enough times. My
Makefile is public domain and available inside sources of my Master's
Thesis:

http://iki.fi/juhtolv/gradu/

There exist other software for that same purpose. Most of them are
Makefiles:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=make

CTAN: info/texmalli/

http://www.light.utoronto.ca/stok/linux.html

http://rubber.sourceforge.net/

http://gforge.inria.fr/projects/latex-utils/

http://bouncingchairs.net/oss/latex.html
http://code.google.com/p/latex-makefile/

http://latex-mk.sourceforge.net/

http://www.arakhne.org/
CTAN: support/autolatex

ReStructuredText (AKA RST) for writing simple docs. It can be converted
to HTML and LaTeX. Example of RST is 000LUEMUT.txt inside sources of my
Master's Thesis.

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

hnb was my outliner when I did my Master's Thesis. But it has poor
Unicode-support. Feel free to try something else. But anyway, using
outliner software is generally good idea, no matter what software you
use for that purpose.

tex4ht is good for converting LaTeX-code to HTML.

lftp is my FTP-client of choice when downloading stuff from CTAN.

It can pipe its command to shell-commands. I can use it for simple
searches inside CTAN-mirror:

[lftp] > open ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive
---- Connecting to ftp.funet.fi (193.166.3.2) port 21
<--- 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] ----------
<--- 220-You are user number 57 of 1000 allowed.
<--- 220-Local time is now 16:02. Server port: 21.
<--- 220-Only anonymous FTP is allowed here
<--- 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
<--- 220 You will be disconnected after 30 minutes of inactivity.
<--- 230 Any password will work
<--- 250 OK. Current directory is /.m/mirrors2/ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive
cd ok, cwd=/pub/mirrors/ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive
[lftp] > cat FILES.byname | grep cmap
1991/03/06 | 138707 | fonts/apl/cmapl10.mf
2005/07/21 | 764 | fonts/apl/cmapl10.tfm
2005/08/01 | 101839 | fonts/utilities/fontools/bin/cmap2enc
2005/08/01 | 13564 | fonts/utilities/fontools/doc/cmap2enc.1
2005/08/01 | 25127 | fonts/utilities/fontools/doc/cmap2enc.pdf
2006/04/24 | 3591 | help/Catalogue/entries/cmap.html
1991/07/25 | 4580 | info/digests/tugboat/biblio/cmapl10.300pk
2005/05/04 | 6883 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap.zip
2004/06/16 | 1165 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/README
2005/05/04 | 2861 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/cmap.sty
2003/03/11 | 1901 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/t1.cmap
2003/03/11 | 1860 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/t2a.cmap
2003/03/11 | 1668 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/t2b.cmap
2003/03/11 | 1740 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/t2c.cmap
2003/03/13 | 2573 | macros/latex/contrib/cmap/t5.cmap
2004/01/06 | 980 | systems/win32/fptex/0.7/package/cmap.tpm
2004/01/06 | 7630 | systems/win32/fptex/0.7/package/cmap.zip
2005/05/09 | 4358 | systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/cmap.cab
5373797 bytes transferred in 38 seconds (139.7K/s)
[lftp] >

What if some important package is not yet zipped? Just do something
like this in order to download directory recursively:

[lftp] > cd macros/latex/contrib/
[lftp] > mirror cmap &

That was download job made in background. With command "jobs" I can see
current situation of download jobs:

[lftp] > jobs
[0] Done (mirror cmap)
Total: 1 directory, 7 files, 0 symlinks
New: 7 files, 0 symlinks
13768 bytes transferred
[lftp] >

It supports bookmarks:

[lftp] > bookmark add ctan-fi

After that I can give ccommand "open ctan-fi" in lftp's command line. I
can also start up lftp like this:

lftp ctan-fi

It is good idea to put this to ~/.lftp/rc :

set cmd:prompt "[\s]\? \S\?:\u\?:\\U > "

It makes prompt of lftp to look like this:

[lftp] ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive >

Here are my configs for lftp:

http://iki.fi/juhtolv/configs/lftp/

Here is the lftp itself:

http://ftp.yar.ru/lftp/
ftp://ftp.yar.ru/lftp/

But it is included in most Linux-ditributions.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"S teki. S teki. S teki. S wo kakusei. S teki. S teki. S teki. S wo umekome.

Peter Flynn

Oct 1, 2007, 4:27:29 PM10/1/07
"anter...@gmail.com" <anter...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Only recently I've discovered JabRef, and I must say I like it :D,
> it's great for working with bibliography.
>
> What I ask you all now is:
>
> Is there an application that you use, in addition to your LaTeX
> editor, which makes your life much easier?

InkScape for making vector graphics

GIMP and xv for manipulating bitmap graphics

///Peter