This can't happen, but it does....

Joris

May 16, 2009, 7:24:40 PM5/16/09
Hello,

pdflatex gave me the error message "This can't happen (paragraph)" and
quit with a Fatal error. Can anyone please enlighten me as to what
this error message means/ when it arises?

Thanks!

J.

Stefan Junge

May 16, 2009, 7:57:53 PM5/16/09

Without an example not easy, but the error message was
a former pdftex bug [292] which is fixed since several years.
Is your LaTeX system up to date? What version of pdflatex did
you use? Otherwise give us an minimum example...

Stefan

Joris

May 16, 2009, 8:04:17 PM5/16/09

Thanks Stefan. The reason I didn't provide a minimal example is that
the message comes and goes with minimal changes to the document and I
have as yet been unable to reproduce it in a small example. I was
asking for the meaning of the error message to help me do just that.

First though, I'll chase after bug 292; sounds like the likely culprit
here.

Best,

J.

Joris

May 17, 2009, 12:16:45 PM5/17/09
The error doesn't occur with a new distribution, thanks again. It
hadn't occurred to me that pdftex rather than I could be responsible
for an error message.