upper limit of double integral not aligned correctly

Karl Ratzsch

Jul 31, 2015, 9:06:51 AM7/31/15

in amsmath, the limits of a single integral get aligned beautifully on
the lower and upper end of the integral sign.

\int\limits_{a}^{a}

However with a double (triple) integral, the upper limit seems to get
centered over the lower end of the sign, which looks rather ugly. I have
to move it with a few tilde spacers.

\iint\limits_{a}^{~~a}

Is that a bug or have i just misunderstood the correct usage? It doesn't
matter whether the upper or lower limit is given first.

== example ==

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}

\begin{document}
\begin{equation}
\iiint\limits_{a}^{b}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\iiint\limits^{a}_{b}
\end{equation}
\end{document}

GL

Jul 31, 2015, 1:52:54 PM7/31/15
Le 31/07/2015 15:06, Karl Ratzsch a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in amsmath, the limits of a single integral get aligned beautifully on
> the lower and upper end of the integral sign.
>
> \int\limits_{a}^{a}
>
> However with a double (triple) integral, the upper limit seems to get
> centered over the lower end of the sign, which looks rather ugly. I have
> to move it with a few tilde spacers.
>
> \iint\limits_{a}^{~~a}
>
> Is that a bug or have i just misunderstood the correct usage?

The super and sub scripts are as you say centered horizontally
on top and at the bottom of the symbol. How (the hell) could you
think of it as a bug ?

It doesn't
> matter whether the upper or lower limit is given first.

Hopefully !

Paweł Wlaź

Aug 1, 2015, 6:49:53 AM8/1/15

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015, Karl Ratzsch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in amsmath, the limits of a single integral get aligned beautifully on
> the lower and upper end of the integral sign.
>
> \int\limits_{a}^{a}
>
> However with a double (triple) integral, the upper limit seems to get
> centered over the lower end of the sign, which looks rather ugly. I have
> to move it with a few tilde spacers.
>
> \iint\limits_{a}^{~~a}
>
> Is that a bug or have i just misunderstood the correct usage? It doesn't
> matter whether the upper or lower limit is given first.

Double integral is calculated over multidimensional set, so
\iint\limits_{a}^{b} makes no sense as it is double integral over
onedimensional set.

So in your example it is rather \iint\limits_{D} or just \iint_{D}.

D is a set in R^2.

Of course double integrals are sometimes calculated as an iterated
integral by means of *integrals of one variables* (\int). Beautifully
aligned.

--
Pawel Wlaz