option clash / amsmath

Alexander Rieth

Feb 10, 2002, 5:13:36 AM2/10/02
Hello out there.

Today, I got the error message "option clash for package amsmath" . OK,
documentation says this error occurs, when a package is being loaded
twice with different options. The strange thing is;

This error first appeared after I'd loaded the amsxtra-package. So I'd
guess, that amsxtra tries to load amsmath with some options but a short
look into the style-file didn't reveal anything.

Is this an known problem or does anyone have any knowledge with it?

Just for you to know why I use amsxtra:

My LaTeX-Companion says, that double-accented symbols should be defined
by \accentedsymbol. That's the way I did it.

By the way something interesting (to me)

I definded myself

\newcommand{\E}{\vec{E}}
\newcommand{\H}{\vec{H}}

further on:

\accentedsymbol{\Et}{\widetilde{\E}}
\accentedsymbol{\Ht}{\widetilde{\H}}

The funny thing know:: \Et works without any problem, \Ht throws the
eroor: "improper spacefactor". Using

\accentedsymbol{\Et}{\widetilde{\vec{E}}}
\accentedsymbol{\Ht}{\widetilde{\vec{H}}}

works fine. To me, I can't see why the one way hould work, while the
other doesn't

Thanks for your help

Alexander

By the way: Does anyone know how to make an box around a part of an
align-environment? I only need to box the first to colums or the last
line.

Alexander Rieth

Feb 10, 2002, 5:18:41 AM2/10/02
I'm sorry, but I forgot my header:

\documentclass[twoside,10pt,openright]{report}
\usepackage{a4,amssymb,graphics,picinpar,fancyhdr,mathrsfs,amsxtra}
\usepackage[intlimits,centertags]{amsmath}
\usepackage[latin1,ansinew]{inputenc}
\usepackage[all]{xy}
\usepackage[german]{babel}

Bye

David Kastrup

Feb 10, 2002, 5:43:09 AM2/10/02
Alexander Rieth <ri...@physik.uni-kl.de> writes:

Why don't you load amsmath first?

Email: David....@t-online.de

Alexander Rieth

Feb 10, 2002, 7:39:10 AM2/10/02
In article <x58za1r...@tupik.goethe.zz>, David....@t-online.de
says...

>Alexander Rieth <ri...@physik.uni-kl.de> writes:
>
>>I'm sorry, but I forgot my header:
>>

>>\documentclass[twoside,10pt,openright]{report}
>>\usepackage{a4,amssymb,graphics,picinpar,fancyhdr,mathrsfs,amsxtra}
>>\usepackage[intlimits,centertags]{amsmath}
>>\usepackage[latin1,ansinew]{inputenc}
>>\usepackage[all]{xy}
>>\usepackage[german]{babel}
>
>Why don't you load amsmath first?

OK. Now I understand the error. This works

Thanks

Heiko Oberdiek

Feb 10, 2002, 6:58:02 AM2/10/02
Alexander Rieth <ri...@physik.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> Today, I got the error message "option clash for package amsmath" . OK,
> documentation says this error occurs, when a package is being loaded
> twice with different options. The strange thing is;
>
> This error first appeared after I'd loaded the amsxtra-package. So I'd
> guess, that amsxtra tries to load amsmath with some options but a short
> look into the style-file didn't reveal anything.

The third non-comment line of amsxtra.sty:
\RequirePackage{amsmath}...

And if you would carefully look at the .log file, then you can
detect something like (pathnames stripped):
(amsxtra.sty (amsmath.sty
So you do not need any guessing, that amsmath is loaded
by amsxtra.

Solution is simple: Load amsmath with your options before
amsxtra.

Yours sincerely
Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>