PuTTy IPv6

Christian H. Kuhn

Jan 26, 2017, 4:13:37 AM1/26/17

PuTTy v0.67, Windows 10 (all updates), T-Online DSL-Account (provides
IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity).

ping ssh.qno.de and ping6 ssh.qno.de both find the appropriate address
to ping, so name resolving seems to work fine.

PuTTy connects to ssh.qno.de by IPv4 correctly.

PuTTy does not connect by IPv6. Unable to open connection to ssh.qno.de
gethostbyname: unknown error.

Seems that PuTTy has some problems with name resolving. How can i fix it?

TIA
QNo

Jacob Nevins

Jan 27, 2017, 9:58:19 AM1/27/17
I don't have a Windows box with IPv6 connectivity, but a friend has
successfully used PuTTY 0.67 (on Windows 7 Pro) to resolve and connect
to a v6-only SSH server (with native IPv6 connectivity, not Teredo or
anything). So it's not totally broken.

Jeffrey Altman

Jan 28, 2017, 3:28:43 PM1/28/17
On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 4:13:37 AM UTC-5, Christian H. Kuhn wrote:
> PuTTy does not connect by IPv6. Unable to open connection to ssh.qno.de
> gethostbyname: unknown error.
>
> Seems that PuTTy has some problems with name resolving. How can i fix it?

The gethostbyname() function is deprecated. It cannot be used to return both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. If an IPv4 address is defined for the specified hostname, that is the only address that gethostbyname() will return.

gethostbyname() can only return IPv6 addresses if only IPv6 addresses are defined.

gethostbyname() has been replaced by getaddrinfo() when it is available.

Christian H. Kuhn

Feb 26, 2017, 6:24:28 PM2/26/17
Am 28.01.2017 um 21:28 schrieb Jeffrey Altman:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 4:13:37 AM UTC-5, Christian H. Kuhn wrote:
>> PuTTy does not connect by IPv6. Unable to open connection to ssh.qno.de
>> gethostbyname: unknown error.

> gethostbyname() has been replaced by getaddrinfo() when it is available.

Thank you, now i can file a bug report.

kr
QNo