Deskmate Upgrade

ROGER MCINTOSH

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95
Problem: How to make Tandy Deskmate version 3.04 fully pc compatiblee

This final, premium version of Deskmate was designed as part of a proprietary package and
bundled with seleced 1000 and 2500-series Tandy computers. It is dependent on the resident
Acumos AVGA2 video BIOS with embedded resources, as certain program and video
configuration information is actually stored in the CMOS RAM. Attempts to load this program on
other machines result in the error message "FILE NOT FOUND: DMVSIND.RES." Overwritting the
file DMCSR.R89 from the DOS-compatable "stand alone" version of Deskmate (designated
v.3.05, although an earlier release) solves half of the problem, as a video configuration file
DMCSR.CFG is created on the hard drive, and the program comes up. Another hidden resource
in the original AVGA2 video BIOS, however, launches the Desktop (DESKTOP.PDM) with the
critical "Use disk" option under <F7> checked, which is still missing.The result is that no
program
information can be saved on the Desktop, as DESKTOP.PDM cannot load it's configuration file
DESKTOP.CFG. An interesting observation is that the required resource must somehow be
duplicated in one or more of the tutorial-related files, as the "Use disk" option is checked when
running tutorial lessons, resulting in temporary, full desktop display. Although the program can
be
made functional by overwriting DESKTOP.PDM from the "stand alone" version of Deskmate, the
result is self-defeating, as it lacks all of the "proprietary" enhancements of it's v.3.04
counterpart.

Has anyone found an answer?

Jeffrey L. Hayes

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
ROGER MCINTOSH <rlmci...@beta.delphi.com> writes:

>Problem: How to make Tandy Deskmate version 3.04 fully pc compatiblee
>
>This final, premium version of Deskmate was designed as part of a proprietary package and
>bundled with seleced 1000 and 2500-series Tandy computers. It is dependent on the resident
>Acumos AVGA2 video BIOS with embedded resources, as certain program and video
>configuration information is actually stored in the CMOS RAM. Attempts to load this program on
>other machines result in the error message "FILE NOT FOUND: DMVSIND.RES." Overwritting the

Have you tried DMVID VGA? DMVID overrides the autodetect mechanism for video
in DESK.EXE. DMVSIND.RES is a video device driver, but is not one of the
standard ones.

>Has anyone found an answer?

I doubt that anybody has looked for one. When you refer to the Acumos AVGA2,
we're talking about the 1000RSX among others. The 1000RSX does not have part
of DeskMate in ROM as other models do; it was sold with either DeskMate or
Windows on disk. I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but if the
problem is that you upgraded the video on a 1000RSX and find that DeskMate
won't run, join the club. The DeskMate versions that were bundled with the
various machines generally only came with the video driver for that model.
Other drivers can be found at musie, and DMVID can be used if necessary.

jlh (tv...@delphi.com)

steve...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2013, 11:16:35 PM8/13/13
I too am looking for the DMVSIND.RES file. Did you find one?