Tandy sucks

rcisnet2!color_galaxy_mw!eric_levinson

Dec 17, 1993, 11:32:28 PM12/17/93
First of all, to post a message about your views and not even accept replies,
is in itself counter-productive. We are here to help, not to take verbal
abuse.

Secondly, you chose to get prices on Tandy add ons. You could have just as
easily priced the hard disk elsewhere along with the disk drive. Third of
all, you bought a 286, had you been more educated (which by the way is not the
salespersons job, but your own) you probably would have gone with a 386 at
least. You cannot expect a salesperson to educate you on buying a product,
because of a conflict of interests. This is true no matter where you buy a
product.

Next, a computer is not a toy, nor is it meant to be a catch all for
problems. Computers are designed for particular purposes, those who byt a
computer "because their friends have one" is not going to make their own
educated decisions when it comes to buy one.
Tandy computers are no different from any other OEM of computer systems,
including IBM. Your points are not valid because had you purchased an IBM
microchannel system and now you want to put in a hard disk, you would be faced
with the same issue you are facing with Tandy.

If you need any additional information, please write.

Eric Levinson

Jesse Schell

Dec 20, 1993, 1:38:29 PM12/20/93
As another 1000TL owner, I feel exactly the same way. Sure, one can argue that
it is my own fault, because I was *stupid* enough to let the salesperson
(a "friend" of mine) talk me into buying this piece of trash, and because I
was *foolish* enough to assume that peripherals cost roughly the average for
a PC clone, and not two or three times the average. You could even blame me
for the fact that I was *dumb* enough to believe the salesperson who told
me that Tandy would fully support all hardware for up to four years after the
last date of manufacture (it is now two years, and no support is available).

Sure, I'm bitter. At Tandy? Not really. Only at myself, for being a sucker.
I wish I'd had the sense not to buy the Tandy $1000.00 Totally Lost.

joseph m. grib, jr

Dec 22, 1993, 7:38:09 AM12/22/93
Jessie, and to all other Tandy/Pc clone/ computer users in general,

I understand your bitterness, and disgust at Tandy/computer manufacturers in
general. I guess you have to look at it this way.....

You are buying a tool. Like any other tool, you can spend very little for it,
or a lot. Depending on the tool that you're buying, you make the most
intelligent decision at the time of purchase for whatever the need is. If
you're going to bust up some concrete, you can use a star drill and a mallett,
or a Jack-hammer. The computer you bought at the time seemed to do the job and
was "expandable". Like all computers and systems, it is obsolete the minute you
open the box. There is no way around it. No matter what you have purchased, or
when, it is obsolete the minute you open it. I have spent many thousands of $$
on computers and systems. My wife bought one of the first TI-99 systems for
~$500, and what's that worth now???? I gave it away after trying to get $25 in
a yard sale or two for it. Add on's? I remember clearly the TI-99 systems that
were in the $2000 + range ten years ago (and that was a LOT of money then!!)
Just think back, how much did the original Commodore C-64 go for when they were
new, with a whopping 64 K of memory, or better yet, how about the Vic-20, "the
computer for the home" with a enormous 4 K of RAM???? I guess what I'm trying
to say is two things.....first, when you buy something, try to get "everything
you want THEN, especially if it's electronic, for tomorrow it may not be
available". Second, remember, life is a series of learning steps, and every
decision we make, whether good or bad, is worthwhile especially if we learn
from our mistakes and not repeat them. Buy the best unit you can afford and
with the best tools that you can get. My original worthless model 4 (in which
the original owner put over $2500 into), is sitting idle....why? Because not
only doesn't any-one want it, but I can fool with it and do some simple
programming. If it breaks? So what. BTW, this is being written with my Tandy
1000 (the original one), that I did upgrade and am still using both as a word
processor and for telecommunications. It's old and practically worthless, but
as long as it still works, then I'm going to use it, even though I do have a
386, and a 486 available, I still use this machine, and it does fine for my
needs.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays,

Joe

Stan Blazejewski

Jan 2, 1994, 3:55:09 PM1/2/94
> programming. If it breaks? So what. BTW, this is being written with my Tandy
> 1000 (the original one), that I did upgrade and am still using both as a word
> processor and for telecommunications. It's old and practically worthless, but
> as long as it still works, then I'm going to use it, even though I do have a
> 386, and a 486 available, I still use this machine, and it does fine for my
> needs.

I myself don't have a 1000 or even an IBM campatable, I am the proud
owner of a CoCo 3 (remember those?) and I agree wholehartedly.
It fullfills my need admirably with lots of graphics programs, desk top
publishing programs, hunreds of games (& I can 'still' buy new ones)
and I even run a BBS of it for the CoCo Club I am with. It even does
real time multi tasking & windows (I believe before MS Windows).
I just ain't lightning fast, but as long as it works, I keep using it.
(besides, it's more 'fun' that using a MSDOS machine, as any 'dual'
owners will testify)

/| Stan Blazejewski | Supporting OS9, OS68k, |
| | Sysop PCCCBBS (RiBBS) | RSDOS (& derivatives) |
| | 61-3-580-4605 (AUS) | 300 - 2400 baud |
| | 9:30pm - 7:00am (AEST) | 8n1 CCITT |
| | Internet :- stan...@lecity.apana.org.au |
| | FIDO :- Stan Blazejewski 3:633/369 |