ECONNRESET (4120)

pku...@fnb.co.za

Nov 28, 2002, 9:04:55 AM11/28/02
Hi

We have a small problem with some of our users working offsite. They
have to go via their building Lan into a Wan before they get to our
Tandem "K" system.
They have endless problems getting sesions while we that work onsite
where the system is situated have no problems.
When they get into our Lan they access the system exactly the way we
do. Obviously they take sligtly longer. The message that gets
generated in Viewpt when they can't get a session is as follows:

2002-11-28 15:39:04 \IPARB0.$ZTN2:13163693 TANDEM.TELSERV.D40 008
Socket read
error file number 34 terminal #PTVU0LC address 10.32.17.74 - EOF
detected

Cause:

Effect:

Recovery:

Is there anyone that knows of a fix or a change in config to resolve
this?

Regards
Philip Kuhn
pku...@fnb.co.za

Babak

Nov 28, 2002, 2:53:38 PM11/28/02
The message only indicates that session that was started at some point
in the past, now has terminated.
You might want to check the emulator's setup, perhaps you are defining
socket instead of just the ip address in the emulator's tcpip setup.
Also have a chat with your network people!

cheers

Dave Bossi

Nov 29, 2002, 9:38:26 AM11/29/02
I think a discussion with your network people is in order.

If the problem is intermittent I would be looking at the connection from
their LAN into the router feeding them to the WAN. Do they connect to
anything else on the "Tandem" LAN and is that a problem too? Try a
different port and patch cable and see if the problem clears up (and
likewise on the Tandem side of the WAN).

If they never connect I would check out to see if one of the
WAN-attached routers is running a firewall and telnet isn't enabled.
This is common in some of the low-end routers available today.

I doubt timing is an issue as I regularly run through a VPN via a 56K
dialup with no problems. You could do some tracing but I suspect all
you'll see is that the TCP session ends so it gets reset

Dave