RGB to SCART

Stig Rune Johnsen

Sep 15, 2001, 3:57:09 PM9/15/01
Hi folks!
I just want to let you know,
finally after a lot of research and frowning, I have made a RGB to SCART
cable that really works.
It is quite simple, no resistors or extra power suply needed.
And the picture on my tv is crystal clear and steady as a rock.
The colors have never been better.

Here it is:

RGB = Oric manual to SCART

1 red - 15
2 green - 11
3 blue - 7
4 sync - 20
5 gnd - 13, 9, 5, 17 (together)

Have fun now!

Regards from Stig the viking.

Mickaël Pointier

Sep 17, 2001, 5:24:18 AM9/17/01
> finally after a lot of research and frowning, I have made a RGB to SCART
> cable that really works.
> It is quite simple, no resistors or extra power suply needed.
> And the picture on my tv is crystal clear and steady as a rock.
> The colors have never been better.

Does it work for all Orics, on all tv sets ?
No risk ?

Dbug

Stig Rune Johnsen

Sep 17, 2001, 4:33:02 PM9/17/01
Well, I assume that the euro/scart contact is the same on all tv sets, and
my Orics all have the 5 pin DIN rgb out.
However, I was to quick in my exitement, I have experienced some trouble
with the colors.
It took some minutes at first to get all colors, maybe the machine needed to
get warm., or it might be a unstable soldering in the cable.
I cannot guarantee that there is no risk. After all there are so many
different types of tv sets, and even more various hobby electronics out
there.
But what the heck, you have to take some risks.
I have tried several configurations of the cable, and every time I prayed
that it would 'nt smoke the Oric.
All though I have 3 of them, I have non to spear.
The tv set is not so hard to replace. (It´s an old Telefunken)
Just the excuse I need to uppgrade to a widescreen. ;o)
The Orics are in fine condition and so is the tv set, thats all I can say.
I know that some say you have to get the voltage right to get the tv set to
switch between rgb and y/c or c-video mode,
I dont know anything about this, On my tv I can choose from the menu with
the zapper.
Hope this can help, and please let me know if anybody have some experiences
with the cable to share.
By the way, my cable is about 2 metres long, no problem with interference,--

Regards
Stig Rune
Mickaël Pointier <mpoi...@eden-studios.fr> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:9o4f3m$i6u$1...@reader1.imaginet.fr...

Mark Vermeulen

Sep 18, 2001, 1:46:47 PM9/18/01
The ORIC has a resistor array on tyhe output to make the signals roughly
compatible with the 75 ohm input from the SCART or most other video
inputs. However, this makes that the signals are roughly the right
level, but are NOT really 75 ohm. However, this ensures that there is
hardly any risk (although don't come and complain to me if something
does go wrong....)

I've developped a driver for my ORIC which realizes a 75 ohm output whic
his quite simple to build and does not have any problems, except.....
that it requires an extra power source. This allows a much longer video
cable, even over 10 meters is then possible without problems....

Mark

Stig Rune Johnsen

Sep 20, 2001, 4:35:28 PM9/20/01
Hi Mark.
Thanks for your reply, it cleared out some issues at least for me.
It seems that my solution of the rgb to scart cable is a bit to simple, it
is not stable enough with the colors.
Would it be to much to ask for the wiring diagram of your magic box?

Thanks in advance.
Stig Rune

--

Mark Vermeulen <ma...@ietmetNOSPAM.nl> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3BA78887...@ietmetNOSPAM.nl...

Mark Vermeulen

Sep 21, 2001, 2:08:28 PM9/21/01
Sure, no problem. The only issue is: I still have to draw the schematics
up properly, I just built something and never documented the schematics.
However, as it is not a complex diagram (which also means it is not an
expensive circuit to build) I will send it to your direct mail account
(provided the mail account mentioned is the correct one, otherwise
please mail me the real email address, simply remove the NOSPAM text
from my email address)

So far it has worked with any SCART plug and TV I've found and has given
me a rasorsharp picture. Furthremore, it complies with the official
video signal levels, so it can be used safely. If anyone else is
interested, just let me know.

Mickaël Pointier

Sep 24, 2001, 5:35:21 AM9/24/01
> Sure, no problem. The only issue is: I still have to draw the schematics
> up properly, I just built something and never documented the schematics.
> However, as it is not a complex diagram (which also means it is not an
> expensive circuit to build) I will send it to your direct mail account
> (provided the mail account mentioned is the correct one, otherwise
> please mail me the real email address, simply remove the NOSPAM text
> from my email address)
>
> So far it has worked with any SCART plug and TV I've found and has given
> me a rasorsharp picture. Furthremore, it complies with the official
> video signal levels, so it can be used safely. If anyone else is
> interested, just let me know.

I'm interested !
Perhaps it could be published in the next ceo mag ?

Mark Vermeulen

Sep 24, 2001, 5:01:56 PM9/24/01
No problem of course
Regrettably I don't have a website and its not possible to attach files
to postings in this newsgroup, so I have to mail it to each person
individually (once I've drawn up the schematics) so a posting in CEO is
an option to make it available to a wider audience.

Can I get a copy?

I'll do so in the next couple of days, its not really complex, I just
have to find the time.

Mark

Mickaël Pointier

Sep 25, 2001, 3:45:19 AM9/25/01
> No problem of course
> Regrettably I don't have a website and its not possible to attach files
> to postings in this newsgroup, so I have to mail it to each person
> individually (once I've drawn up the schematics) so a posting in CEO is
> an option to make it available to a wider audience.
>
> Can I get a copy?
>
> I'll do so in the next couple of days, its not really complex, I just
> have to find the time.
>
> Mark

Well, if you send those schematics to me, I will publish them on
my website, in the hardware section, is it ok ???

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/oric

this way it will be accessible to everybody easily.

Dbug