DOOM for NeXT is one AWESOME GAME!!!!!

Bradly William Wright

Dec 1, 1993, 2:20:24 AM12/1/93
I just downloaded DOOM! from cs.orst.edu, and it is absolutely
great. I just thought I'd post some initial feedback to the
net, and give many many thanks to ID Software for releasing
this beta. DOOM is very gruesome and very cool! It's a
shoot-em up game similiar to ID's Castle Wolfenstien. It's
the best game I've ever seen running on a NeXT.

Way to go John Carmack!!!!

Brad Wright
wwr...@shell.portal.com
wwr...@premisys.com

Christian Smith

Dec 1, 1993, 12:31:51 PM12/1/93
In article <CHCHq...@unix.portal.com> wwr...@shell.portal.com (Bradly
William Wright) writes:
>I just downloaded DOOM! from cs.orst.edu, and it is absolutely
>great. I just thought I'd post some initial feedback to the
>net, and give many many thanks to ID Software for releasing
>this beta. DOOM is very gruesome and very cool! It's a
>shoot-em up game similiar to ID's Castle Wolfenstien. It's
>the best game I've ever seen running on a NeXT.
>
>Way to go John Carmack!!!!

Sure would have been nice if it had run on my Cube. They should have at
least put up some info file that said white hardware only.

--
Christian Smith
aka Blackplague

ale...@ucsd.edu

Dec 1, 1993, 3:02:06 PM12/1/93
In article <CHCHq...@unix.portal.com> wwr...@shell.portal.com (Bradly
William Wright) writes:
Gee. I'd really like to check this out. Unfortunately, I downloaded the
cs.orst.edu copy to discover it was i486 architechture only. Anyone know
of a M68K version?
--
Alexander Levine Department of Philosophy
ale...@ucsd.edu 0302, UCSD

Matt Carswell

Dec 1, 1993, 8:21:43 PM12/1/93
In article <2dike7$n...@news.intercon.com> csm...@blackplague.gmu.edu
(Christian Smith) writes:
> Sure would have been nice if it had run on my Cube. They should have at
> least put up some info file that said white hardware only.
>
> --
> Christian Smith
> aka Blackplague
> PGP Public Key available by finger or request.

I AGREE!!!
Although the submission in next.announce said for intel, i was hoping that
by some freak chance the game would run on a color NeXTstation, but no.
This is a great trend though. finally a real game for the NeXT platform.
. keep up the good work, but if possible, id, please release a black
hardware version (with sound?) for those of us who don't have NeXTstep on
our pc's yet.

if anyone has the e-mail address of someone at id that i could write to,
please post it here or to me. thanks.

--
matt
mcar...@oyster.smcm.edu

Gary Finley

Dec 1, 1993, 9:35:26 PM12/1/93
Christian Smith writes (about Doom)

> Sure would have been nice if it had run on my Cube. They should have at
> least put up some info file that said white hardware only.

I swapped a couple of messages with Carmack today, and asked him if
there was any chance that he'd do a black-NeXT version of the game.
Here's what he said:

---------------
There will be a black version when I release the "real" next game. I need
to write a couple of routines in '040 assembler to get decent performace,
and I haven't had time yet.
After the DOS version ships in ten days or so, I will be putting multi
channel digital sounds in the NS version, and improving the speed and
interface.
---------------

As long as your cube has an 040 board, it look like you're going to be OK.

Gary Finley, Univ of Alberta Psychology Dept.
gf...@psych.ualberta.ca (NeXTmail welcome!)

Scott Anguish

Dec 1, 1993, 11:27:13 PM12/1/93
Matt Carswell writes

> I AGREE!!!
> Although the submission in next.announce said for intel, i was hoping that
> by some freak chance the game would run on a color NeXTstation, but no.

Guys! I actually downloaded and verified this so you wouldn't have to.
That why I put the note in the announcement for comp.sys.next.announce! I had
hoped that John had made a mistake when he posted it was for NS/Intel, instead
of Nextstep in general.

It'll come...

I'd love to see it. I've known about this game for months now, that
there would be a Next version, I had to post the announcement, and I CAN'T EVEN
SEE IT!!!! ARGGGGG! Pulling my hair out here! :-)

Mind you, not like I need another distraction, and Wolf3D cost me ALOT
of time on the PC!

oh well....

--
- Scott Anguish -
sang...@digifix.com (NextMail)

Steven Besler

Dec 2, 1993, 4:24:06 AM12/2/93

Will the black version work on a mono NeXTSTATION Turbo?
Whe it's released, that is...

Steve

--
Steven K. Besler | Life fluctuates between boredom, fascination, and
ak...@freenet.carleton.ca | panic; punctuated by sleep, alcohol, and caffeine.

Peter Eisch

Dec 2, 1993, 9:44:50 AM12/2/93

: Will the black version work on a mono NeXTSTATION Turbo?

: Whe it's released, that is...

I'd almost gamble it wouldn't run on a dimension...

peter

--
Always looking for a handy place to nap...
pe...@tahiti.umhc.umn.edu (Peter Eisch) peter....@uwrf.edu

Josh

Dec 3, 1993, 10:36:25 AM12/3/93

I tried to get Doom to work in 2 bit grey - didn't work :( Was worth
a try though :) (gave me a "Bus error" if anyone cares).

BUT I did notice:

D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.

I haven't seen anything about Doom on the NeXT before, so I don't know
what to think of this - does this mean Doom via Internet?? Will I be
able to play with multiple people around the Net (I have an ethernet
hookup on my NFSIP box) ??

Hopefully I'll be able to afford 32bit graphics in my lifetime :)

jo...@vegiwopr.calpoly.edu NeXTMail & MIME ok

Kosmatos Odisseas

Dec 5, 1993, 10:51:03 AM12/5/93
Peter Eisch (peter@corsica) wrote:

: : Will the black version work on a mono NeXTSTATION Turbo?

: : Whe it's released, that is...

: I'd almost gamble it wouldn't run on a dimension...

If DOOM runs on mono 040 NeXT's, we'll send DOUBLE the shareware fee!!!

: pe...@tahiti.umhc.umn.edu (Peter Eisch) peter....@uwrf.edu

--
|~~~~|_ "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
| O .| | It is by the jus de raisin that the thoughts acquire speed,
|.o |_| the t-shirt acquires stains, the stains become a warning..."
|_._o| Odisseas Kosmatos email: kosm...@jsp.umontreal.ca

James L. Hendry

Dec 6, 1993, 12:34:24 AM12/6/93

> : : Will the black version work on a mono NeXTSTATION Turbo?
> : : Whe it's released, that is...

> If DOOM runs on mono 040 NeXT's, we'll send DOUBLE the shareware fee!!!

I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

James L. Hendry

Dec 6, 1993, 12:34:43 AM12/6/93