Mac OS 8.6 & Error type 3

Pamela Owen

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Mac OS 8.6 & Error type 3

I'm using a 6100/66 with 40 MB of Memory and virtual memory turned on
for 41 MB total. I upgraded from Mac OS 8.5.1 to Mac OS 8.6. I also
upgraded from Apple Remote Access 3.1 to 3.1.3.

Since I have done so whenever I launch appleworks/clarisworks version
5.0.3, photoshop 3.0.3, microsoftword 98, or microsoft excel 98, I get
"The application 'one of the above' has unexpectedly quit, because an
error of type 3 occured".

increased the memory required by at least 2 MB for each app
used the extension manager to remove all extensions and control panels
used the shift key at startup to run without extensions and control
panels
zapped the pram 3 times in a row
rebuilt the desktop on all hard drives
All my hard drives have the latest drivers

By the way Netscape Navigator 4.5.1 and Virex 5.9.1 run fine.

I'm beginning to think this upgrade was a really bad idea.
Anyone have any ideas? Please? Anyone?

Pamela Owen
pamel...@worldnet.att.net

Ron Goodman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
> By the way Netscape Navigator 4.5.1 and Virex 5.9.1 run fine.
>
> I'm beginning to think this upgrade was a really bad idea.
> Anyone have any ideas? Please? Anyone?

I don't think it's 8.6--I've got essentially the same system and it runs
fine. Why not try a clean install of 8.5(I'm assuming you downloaded the
upgrade) and go from there?

Archon Fung

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I think that one problem is that apps need more memory under 8.6. This
is discussed in its readme file. Try using the "Get Info" to increase
the memory of apps that you use often.

I was getting some pretty strange crashing in 8.6 until I increased
memory for several applications, one of them a little application that
gets launched by my palm pilot software called "Palm Desktop Support
App" (installed in preferences folder) from 384k to 1024k.

There have also been reports on macintouch and some of the other pages
about some reproducible crashes going away after using ResEdit to
increase the memory given to some third party extensions.

hope this helps,

af...@alum.mit.edu

In article <rgoodman-130...@max2p7.albany.albany.net>, Ron

Loren Finkelstein

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
I mentioned this in a different thread, but turning of VM got rid of my
type 3 errors. Not a great solution, but I can't tell you how great it is
to have my system not crash. :-)

In article <373B5E21...@worldnet.att.net>,
pamel...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Mac OS 8.6 & Error type 3
>
>I'm using a 6100/66 with 40 MB of Memory and virtual memory turned on
>for 41 MB total. I upgraded from Mac OS 8.5.1 to Mac OS 8.6. I also
>upgraded from Apple Remote Access 3.1 to 3.1.3.
>
>Since I have done so whenever I launch appleworks/clarisworks version
>5.0.3, photoshop 3.0.3, microsoftword 98, or microsoft excel 98, I get
>"The application 'one of the above' has unexpectedly quit, because an
>error of type 3 occured".
>
>increased the memory required by at least 2 MB for each app
>used the extension manager to remove all extensions and control panels
>used the shift key at startup to run without extensions and control
>panels
>zapped the pram 3 times in a row
>rebuilt the desktop on all hard drives
>All my hard drives have the latest drivers
>

>By the way Netscape Navigator 4.5.1 and Virex 5.9.1 run fine.
>
>I'm beginning to think this upgrade was a really bad idea.
>Anyone have any ideas? Please? Anyone?
>

>Pamela Owen
>pamel...@worldnet.att.net

Stuart Willis

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
to pamel...@worldnet.att.net

Pamela Owen wrote:

> Mac OS 8.6 & Error type 3
>
> I'm using a 6100/66 with 40 MB of Memory and virtual memory turned on
> for 41 MB total. I upgraded from Mac OS 8.5.1 to Mac OS 8.6. I also
> upgraded from Apple Remote Access 3.1 to 3.1.3.
>
> Since I have done so whenever I launch appleworks/clarisworks version
> 5.0.3, photoshop 3.0.3, microsoftword 98, or microsoft excel 98, I get
> "The application 'one of the above' has unexpectedly quit, because an
> error of type 3 occured".
>
> increased the memory required by at least 2 MB for each app
> used the extension manager to remove all extensions and control panels
> used the shift key at startup to run without extensions and control
> panels
> zapped the pram 3 times in a row
> rebuilt the desktop on all hard drives
> All my hard drives have the latest drivers
>
> By the way Netscape Navigator 4.5.1 and Virex 5.9.1 run fine.
>
> I'm beginning to think this upgrade was a really bad idea.
> Anyone have any ideas? Please? Anyone?

Pamela ....

MacOS 8.6 is just too heavyweight for a 66Mz 6100. And so is 8.5.1 for
that matter.
You would sing along happier, faster, and harmoniously, with OS 7.6.1.
To run Photoshop on OS 8.6 is out of the 6100's league. You just don't
have enough horsepower - either in Ram or in processor speed.

Recommended Ram partition for Photoshop is 25Mb (to run with any
reasonable efficacy).
Don't know what the Word98 and Excel98 require but as typical with
Microslop, it will be some enormous chunk. This is why you are getting
Type 3 Error quits.
Seems reprehensible that one should get memory-related quits and freezes
with a 40Mb Ram Macintosh - but that's how it is these days. It is the
root of your manifestations.

Virtual Memory enablement will help of course but even with a high speed
HD access, it still comes down to having to read and write to it. This
as together with a 66Mhz bottleneck will sloooow you down to point of
frustration. You cannot effectively rely on VM as a substitute for an
adequate allocation of Ram under Finder> Get Info> Preferred Size.

The combination of MacOS 8.6 and those Apps is dragging down your memory resources.

If you go back to an earlier OS (such as 7.6.1) - remember that you
cannot install an earlier version directly over a later version. A
"Clean Install" is a *must*.

With Mac OS 7.6.1 I can run (not simultaneously of course!) Photoshop
3. Illustrator 6, Word 5, Excel 4, and most other software - including
Communicator 4.0x versions - on a (30Mhz) 68k Mac LC475 as maxed out to
36Mb Ram. It's no Cray. In fact the first two processor intensive
Apps are pretty damned slow. But all works fine and I never get
memory-related quits. Your 6100 should murder the LC 475.

Have you checked that the usual troublemakers are not present on your HD?
Specifically: Extension "ObjectSupportLib" and, Norton CrashGuard.
Stuffit SpaceSaver is also problematic.
You might care to do a Finder Search and trash all found occurrences.
Multiple copies of Internet Config is also a nasty catalyst.
Each of these items can be a carryover from an earlier OS - or
installed by some Application or Utility which is not OS 8 savvy.

One version of ATM was troublesome. And Adobe Type ReUnion is a known
problem with Netscape of the Net. Just for troubleshoot purposes,
disable these and see if things improve any.

These are not the answers I would expect you to embrace with glee.
But you asked;-)

HTH

Stuart Willis
Sunny Queensland, Downunder
_________________________
mailto:Et...@uq.net.au

vman...@my-dejanews.com

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
In article <373C48DE...@uq.net.au>,
> mailto:Ethos

Russell Brown

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Stuart Willis wrote:

> Pamela Owen wrote:
> >
> > Mac OS 8.6 & Error type 3
> >
> > I'm using a 6100/66 with 40 MB of Memory and virtual memory turned on
> > for 41 MB total. I upgraded from Mac OS 8.5.1 to Mac OS 8.6. I also
> > upgraded from Apple Remote Access 3.1 to 3.1.3.
> >
> > Since I have done so whenever I launch appleworks/clarisworks version
> > 5.0.3, photoshop 3.0.3, microsoftword 98, or microsoft excel 98, I get
> > "The application 'one of the above' has unexpectedly quit, because an
> > error of type 3 occured".
> >
> > increased the memory required by at least 2 MB for each app
> > used the extension manager to remove all extensions and control panels
> > used the shift key at startup to run without extensions and control
> > panels
> > zapped the pram 3 times in a row
> > rebuilt the desktop on all hard drives
> > All my hard drives have the latest drivers

Tried reinstalling those MS apps in particular? What show up as
out-of-memory errors can be problems with libraries, especially after a
clean (system) install where you've moved the libraries and prefs over.
It's a bore, but it usually works for me. Use the Office 98 CD to
uninstall, check it's all gone and do it again.

Cheers,
RB