Google Chrome takes 6 GB of my hard disk

Juan I. Cahis

Nov 10, 2013, 6:08:16 PM11/10/13
Dear friends:

Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
hard disk. Is this OK?

I use it very seldom.

--
Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

Lloyd E Parsons

Nov 10, 2013, 6:11:42 PM11/10/13
On 2013-11-10 23:08:16 +0000, Juan I. Cahis said:

> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.

Something sounds out of whack. My Google Chrome browser with a few
Google apps takes up less than 1Gb.
--
Lloyd

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2013, 8:33:38 PM11/10/13
On 2013-11-10, Juan I Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that it takes 6 GB?

JR

Alan Browne

Nov 10, 2013, 8:45:25 PM11/10/13
On 2013.11.10, 18:08 , Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?

How did you determine that?

--
"The radio was once expected to promote international understanding and
co-operation;

Daniel Cohen

Nov 11, 2013, 7:27:35 AM11/11/13
Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.

I noticed a similar thing recently. It turns out that when Chrome
updates itself, it also keeps a copy of the previous version. These can
mount up to a large total, but can safely be deleted.

Control-click on Chrome and Open Package Contents. I forget exactly
where the copies are, I think they may be in Contents, Mac OS, with the
name Google Chrome followed by some letters and numbers.
--
<http://www.decohen.com>
The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

Juan I. Cahis

Nov 11, 2013, 8:15:50 AM11/11/13
Dear Jolly & friends:

Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2013-11-10, Juan I Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
>> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> How exactly did you come to the conclusion that it takes 6 GB?

I opened in Finder the Application folder, and I clicked the Size tab.
Chrome went to the first place with 6 GB.
Message has been deleted

John White

Nov 11, 2013, 10:01:49 AM11/11/13
In article
<1356273530405868336.020809jiclbchSINBASURA-attglobal.net@news-central.g
iganews.com>,
Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Dear Jolly & friends:
>
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On 2013-11-10, Juan I Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> >> Dear friends:
> >>
> >> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> >> hard disk. Is this OK?
> >
> > How exactly did you come to the conclusion that it takes 6 GB?
>
> I opened in Finder the Application folder, and I clicked the Size tab.
> Chrome went to the first place with 6 GB.

So use option-click to View Package Contents and see where all the space
is going. Incidentally, my Google Chrome takes 299 MB.

Savageduck

Nov 11, 2013, 10:06:48 AM11/11/13
292.4 MB here.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Barry Margolin

Nov 11, 2013, 10:14:05 AM11/11/13
In article <1lc621p.1knp57z1afdgouN%dcohe...@talktalk.net>,
dcohe...@talktalk.net (Daniel Cohen) wrote:

> Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear friends:
> >
> > Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> > hard disk. Is this OK?
> >
> > I use it very seldom.
>
> I noticed a similar thing recently. It turns out that when Chrome
> updates itself, it also keeps a copy of the previous version. These can
> mount up to a large total, but can safely be deleted.
>
> Control-click on Chrome and Open Package Contents. I forget exactly
> where the copies are, I think they may be in Contents, Mac OS, with the
> name Google Chrome followed by some letters and numbers.

Looks like they're in Contents->Versions. I see two folders, the current
version and the previous version. They each take about 150 MB. There
would have to be 40 versions to add up to 6 GB.

If that's what's causing the OP's problem, I wonder why it's not
deleting older versions when it's auto-updating.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Jolly Roger

Nov 11, 2013, 11:26:07 AM11/11/13
On 2013-11-11, Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <beaqfi...@mid.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-11-10, Juan I Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> > Dear friends:
>> >
>> > Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
>> > hard disk. Is this OK?
>>
>> How exactly did you come to the conclusion that it takes 6 GB?
>
> There are cache files, which I clean out fairly regularly, but that's in
> the Advanced Preferences as well as the Chrome Menu settings. If you
> don't clear it, I don't know what it does before it cleans things out.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking you.

Kevin McMurtrie

Nov 11, 2013, 12:11:30 PM11/11/13
In article
<1176124537405817529.659694jiclbchSINBASURA-attglobal.net@news-central.g
iganews.com>,
Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchS...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.

Google apps are Trojan horses to a degree. They're free in exchange for
telling Google about everything about how you use them. All of them
install system daemons that keep the applications updated, and it's
buggy. You can hunt down the daemons and remove them but launching any
Google app will replace them.

The bugs that I've seen so far:

- Excessive network use
- High CPU use
- Interference with the Power Manager, causing random sleeps or refusal
to sleep.

It could be leaking data when it's performing updates too.

I nuked all the Google software because I was hitting the random sleep
bug.
Message has been deleted

Barry Margolin

Nov 11, 2013, 3:15:59 PM11/11/13
In article <vilain-C9E7DC....@news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <barmar-40CD6A....@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <1lc621p.1knp57z1afdgouN%dcohe...@talktalk.net>,
> > dcohe...@talktalk.net (Daniel Cohen) wrote:

> > > I noticed a similar thing recently. It turns out that when Chrome
> > > updates itself, it also keeps a copy of the previous version. These can
> > > mount up to a large total, but can safely be deleted.
> > >
> > > Control-click on Chrome and Open Package Contents. I forget exactly
> > > where the copies are, I think they may be in Contents, Mac OS, with the
> > > name Google Chrome followed by some letters and numbers.
> >
> > Looks like they're in Contents->Versions. I see two folders, the current
> > version and the previous version. They each take about 150 MB. There
> > would have to be 40 versions to add up to 6 GB.
> >
> > If that's what's causing the OP's problem, I wonder why it's not
> > deleting older versions when it's auto-updating.
>
> That's really weird. After updating, my version goes down to one copy in
> /Applications/Google Chrome/Contents/Versions/.

I assumed it kept the previous version around to make it easier to undo
if there's a problem.

John White

Nov 11, 2013, 4:27:54 PM11/11/13
In article <barmar-EE0DF0....@news.eternal-september.org>,
The difference between its' keeping one or two versions might depend on
whether you're using the release or beta application. I'm running the
beta, and have two versions stored (just now it was three, but then it
did an update and deleted the oldest).
Message has been deleted

Barry Margolin

Nov 11, 2013, 9:51:17 PM11/11/13
In article <jccw-37B72F.1...@mx05.eternal-september.org>,
I was thinking the same thing. I'm also running the Beta, and I have
31.0.1650.48 and 32.0.1700.6. The expectation may be that beta testers
are more likely to need to back out the latest revision.

I just noticed that these are not the same as the two versions I saw
when I posted earlier. 31.0.1650.48 is what I'm running, and earlier it
was the higher version, now it's the lower version. And what do you
know, About Chrome says "Nearly up-to-date! Relaunch Google Chrome to
finish updating."

After I relaunched, both versions are still there.
Message has been deleted

Barry Margolin

Nov 11, 2013, 10:02:39 PM11/11/13
In article <vilain-915D87....@news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <barmar-EE0DF0....@news.eternal-september.org>,
> The OP didn't use Chrome much. It's my default browser. So if they
> hardly run it, it will never update to the latest version and delete the
> older versions. I'm guessing that's what happens.

I suppose that's possible. But I'd expect the background process that
periodically downloads new versions to get rid of all the intermediates
that he never updated to, rather than leave all of them around.

Daniel Cohen

Nov 12, 2013, 6:05:36 AM11/12/13
Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I suppose that's possible. But I'd expect the background process that
> periodically downloads new versions to get rid of all the intermediates
> that he never updated to, rather than leave all of them around.

We still don't know if that was the OP's issue, though it certainly was
mine. It's possible that having Vhrome in a subfolder of Applications
was why my old versions did not delete.

Howard

Nov 12, 2013, 9:11:49 AM11/12/13
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> > If that's what's causing the OP's problem, I wonder why it's not
> > deleting older versions when it's auto-updating.
>
> That's really weird. After updating, my version goes down to one copy in
> /Applications/Google Chrome/Contents/Versions/.

My package contents contains two versions. Same for Torch. Firefox only
contains one.

--
Howard

Paul Sture

Nov 12, 2013, 1:02:39 PM11/12/13
Competent programming from the folks who brought you the Google Groups
interface?

Well, I never...

:-)

--
Paul Sture

Paul Sture

Nov 12, 2013, 1:04:52 PM11/12/13
Daniel Cohen wrote:

> Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I suppose that's possible. But I'd expect the background process that
>> periodically downloads new versions to get rid of all the intermediates
>> that he never updated to, rather than leave all of them around.
>
> We still don't know if that was the OP's issue, though it certainly was
> mine. It's possible that having Chrome in a subfolder of Applications
> was why my old versions did not delete.

I used to keep lots of apps in a completely separate folder from
/Applications but stopped doing so when various updates failed due to
the developers' assumptions that their app would live there.

A lousy assumption IMHO.

--
Paul Sture

Barry Margolin

Nov 12, 2013, 1:18:59 PM11/12/13
In article <v27ala-...@news.chingola.ch>,
Google is a *big* company. I doubt very much that there's much overlap
between the Google Groups programmers and the Google Chrome programmers.
And Google probably doesn't assign their best programmers to Google
Groups, since it's not a product that they care very much about, while
Chrome is an important product that they can't afford to assign minimal
resources to.

Laszlo Lebrun

Nov 12, 2013, 2:57:32 PM11/12/13
That is very few in comparison of what the NSA stores about you ;-)

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)

Wes Groleau

Nov 12, 2013, 11:13:57 PM11/12/13
On 11-12-2013, 13:04, Paul Sture wrote:
> I used to keep lots of apps in a completely separate folder from
> /Applications but stopped doing so when various updates failed due to
> the developers' assumptions that their app would live there.
>
> A lousy assumption IMHO.

Of all of the apps on my machine, the ONLY ones that make that stupid
assumption are from Microsoft and from Apple.

In Apple's case, it might not be stupidity; it might be laziness.
Since the updater is not part of the application, it has to either
hard-code a path or use look it up in some log or Receipt or search for
it. Hard-coding a path is obviously easier.

But for most others, the updater is part of the app and relative
addressing is easier. With Office, the updater is in the same directory
as the app suite, so that's almost the same.

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
— Robert Rhee

nospam

Nov 13, 2013, 3:20:56 AM11/13/13
In article <l5uua7$utl$1...@dont-email.me>, Wes Groleau
<Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> > I used to keep lots of apps in a completely separate folder from
> > /Applications but stopped doing so when various updates failed due to
> > the developers' assumptions that their app would live there.
> >
> > A lousy assumption IMHO.
>
> Of all of the apps on my machine, the ONLY ones that make that stupid
> assumption are from Microsoft and from Apple.
>
> In Apple's case, it might not be stupidity; it might be laziness.
> Since the updater is not part of the application, it has to either
> hard-code a path or use look it up in some log or Receipt or search for
> it. Hard-coding a path is obviously easier.

apple's updater does hard code paths.

Wes Groleau

Nov 14, 2013, 12:23:45 AM11/14/13
On 11-13-2013, 03:20, nospam wrote:
> <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
>> In Apple's case, it might not be stupidity; it might be laziness.
>> Since the updater is not part of the application, it has to either
>> hard-code a path or use look it up in some log or Receipt or search for
>> it. Hard-coding a path is obviously easier.
>
> apple's updater does hard code paths.

Thank you for repeating the obvious.

--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/rulings/pants-fire/

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 14, 2013, 2:47:40 PM11/14/13
Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 11-13-2013, 03:20, nospam wrote:
> > <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
> >> In Apple's case, it might not be stupidity; it might be laziness.
> >> Since the updater is not part of the application, it has to either
> >> hard-code a path or use look it up in some log or Receipt or search for
> >> it. Hard-coding a path is obviously easier.
> >
> > apple's updater does hard code paths.
>
> Thank you for repeating the obvious.

Wes, just in case you were still unaware, I wanted to let you know that
the Apple Updater hard codes paths.

Jolly Roger

Nov 14, 2013, 4:18:17 PM11/14/13
On 2013-11-14, Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> the Apple Updater hard codes paths.

Apple really took a step or two backwards with regard to software
development when the NeXTies took over, which led to complaints from a
truly huge number of developers. Then again, they also gained some
successful technologies at the same time; and some might argue that
Apple would not have survived otherwise.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 14, 2013, 11:47:53 PM11/14/13
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2013-11-14, Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> >
> > the Apple Updater hard codes paths.
>
> Apple really took a step or two backwards with regard to software
> development when the NeXTies took over, which led to complaints from a
> truly huge number of developers. Then again, they also gained some
> successful technologies at the same time; and some might argue that
> Apple would not have survived otherwise.

The good outweighed the bad IMO (sure as hell I was tired of software
incompatibilities, bugs and resulting crashes causing system instability
and corruption in classic MacOS), but I'll always wonder what a
successful well managed, well staffed development of one of the failed
replacement MacOSes (Pink, Copeland, BeOS - a possible acquisition
instead of NeXT OS, at one point, to mention three I recall off the top
of my head) could have been.

Still, I was well tired of overenthusiastic MacWorld articles about the
replacements that never were, by the time NeXT morphed into OS X. By
then I was just happy to have _any_ modern workable Mac-like
replacement.
Message has been deleted

Jamie Kahn Genet

Nov 15, 2013, 12:31:41 AM11/15/13
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <1lce0z4.1buxi32i536l3N%jam...@wizardling.geek.nz>
> Jamie Kahn Genet <jam...@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> > Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Apple really took a step or two backwards with regard to software
> >> development when the NeXTies took over, which led to complaints from a
> >> truly huge number of developers. Then again, they also gained some
> >> successful technologies at the same time; and some might argue that
> >> Apple would not have survived otherwise.
>
> > The good outweighed the bad IMO (sure as hell I was tired of software
> > incompatibilities, bugs and resulting crashes causing system instability
> > and corruption in classic MacOS), but I'll always wonder what a
> > successful well managed, well staffed development of one of the failed
> > replacement MacOSes (Pink, Copeland, BeOS - a possible acquisition
> > instead of NeXT OS, at one point, to mention three I recall off the top
> > of my head) could have been.
>
> Well, to be fair I don't think that BeOS was ever anything more than
> something some people outside of Apple thought was a neat idea.
>
> Pink was interesting though, and I remember (trying to) follow its
> development before it morphed into/was replaced by Copeland which
> somehow never appealed to me.
>
> > Still, I was well tired of overenthusiastic MacWorld articles about the
> > replacements that never were, by the time NeXT morphed into OS X. By
> > then I was just happy to have _any_ modern workable Mac-like
> > replacement.
>
> Oh, well, no. OS X appealed to me very much because it was UNIX, not
> just because it was newer than Mac OS 8/9. I would have been hard
> pressed to find a reason to switch to a different OS at the time if it
> wasn't for the gains of getting a real? UNIX command-line.
>

> ? Albeit, for certain values of 'real' back in 10.0-10.3.

I don't think a unix base was necessarily the best solution, but I can
certainly understand why it strongly appealed to some. I'm not knocking
it as such (I've certainly taken advantage of it! :-) ), just wondering
what might have been.

Wes Groleau

Nov 15, 2013, 9:59:36 AM11/15/13
On 11-15-2013, 00:13, Lewis wrote:
> Oh, well, no. OS X appealed to me very much because it was UNIX, not
> just because it was newer than Mac OS 8/9. I would have been hard
> pressed to find a reason to switch to a different OS at the time if it
> wasn't for the gains of getting a real¹ UNIX command-line.

I had a "MachTen" Unix add-on in OS 9, so I could continue to give the
family something usable for non-geeks (which back then Linux was not,
unless a geek spent way to much time keeping it that way).

So OS X appealed to me for the same reason. But ALSO for the reason
that when OS X came out, the stability of an OS 9 environment (meaning
OS and its apps in general) had been bested by Microsoft.

OS X saved Apple from oblivion. Yeah, I know, the iPhone did that--I'm
not so sure Apple would have lived long enough to release iPhone in 2007
had they not released OS X in 1999. I know that if it were not for OS
X, I would have been dual-booting Windows and Linux when the iPod
launched in 2001.

--
Wes Groleau

“Missing a train is only painful if you run after it!”
— Nassim Nicholas Taleb

John McWilliams

Nov 17, 2013, 12:23:41 AM11/17/13
On 11/12/13 PDT, 3:05 AM, Daniel Cohen wrote:
> Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I suppose that's possible. But I'd expect the background process that
>> periodically downloads new versions to get rid of all the intermediates
>> that he never updated to, rather than leave all of them around.
>
> We still don't know if that was the OP's issue, though it certainly was
> mine. It's possible that having Vhrome in a subfolder of Applications
> was why my old versions did not delete.

Doubt that!

My Chrome has ballooned over the years, keeping all old versions, and
curable by either downloading a new one, or opening the app's package,
going to Contents, and deleting old versions.

It's always been in the apps folder. Mine reached about 4 Gigs a year
ago, and today was 600 Megs. The clean download, installed just now, is
149.7 Megs. (Most will be double that number as one previous version
will be present). For a few of us, all old versions get kept, and I
don't see anything in Preferences that might set that. Or know what else
might be borked so the flushing of old versions doesn't take place.

Message has been deleted

Juan I. Cahis

Nov 17, 2013, 8:01:49 AM11/17/13
Dear Michael & friends:

Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <l69jsu$823$1...@dont-email.me>,
> I disabled the GoogleUpdater in
>
> /Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist
>
> so now Google won't update until I want it to update. It used to piss
> me off that Google would update out from under me. So now I always
> download and update my copy by hand.
>
> Problem solved.

I did a more simple solution, I deleted it. I don't want to do extra work
when Google releases every security update. With Firefox and Safari I have
enough of browsers on my Mac.

--
Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

Alan Browne

Nov 17, 2013, 6:24:58 PM11/17/13
On 2013.11.17, 08:01 , Juan I. Cahis wrote:

> I did a more simple solution, I deleted it. I don't want to do extra work
> when Google releases every security update. With Firefox and Safari I have
> enough of browsers on my Mac.

I want to do even less. So I use Chrome unless forced to use Safari or FF.

--
"The radio was once expected to promote international understanding and
co-operation;
it has turned out to be a means of insulating one nation from another."
-George Orwell, 1945

tommysgo...@googlemail.com

May 24, 2014, 7:16:23 PM5/24/14
On Sunday, 10 November 2013 23:08:16 UTC, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>

> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
>
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>

> I use it very seldom.
>

> --
>
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

YUP! My Chrome was taking up 8GB, turns out i had every 'version' from mid 2010 on their!

Juan I. Cahis

May 25, 2014, 11:25:48 AM5/25/14
I solved the problem doing a full uninstall with a cleaning utility, and
reinstalling it. It is neccessary to do this process from time to time.
Message has been deleted

simon....@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 12:32:39 PM10/16/14
Den måndagen den 11:e november 2013 kl. 02:45:25 UTC+1 skrev Alan Browne:
> On 2013.11.10, 18:08 , Juan I. Cahis wrote:
>
> > Dear friends:
>

> > Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
>
> > hard disk. Is this OK?
>

> How did you determine that?
>

> --
>
> "The radio was once expected to promote international understanding and
>
> co-operation;
>
> it has turned out to be a means of insulating one nation from another."
>
> -George Orwell, 1945

Go to finder and press CMD + Shift + G, type in ' ~/Library/Application Support '. In the Application Support folder, go to Google, and there you'll se Chrome. Rightclick and choose 'Show info' to see how much space it takes up. I managed to clear out 7gb by deleting Cache and other stuff.

e...@lumoslabs.com

Oct 20, 2014, 6:28:05 PM10/20/14
I had the same issue. In my case, I used Grand Perspective to clean out my HD, and it told me that Chrome was taking up 6 GBs. After looking inside, I found that I had 40 versions or so, all the way back to 2012. I deleted all but the most recent and it runs fine. Going to be annoying if I have to keep periodically cleaning it out, though.

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:08:16 PM UTC-8, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>

> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
>
> hard disk. Is this OK?

Message has been deleted

John McWilliams

Oct 23, 2014, 8:21:45 PM10/23/14
On 11/17/13 PDT, 3:24 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2013.11.17, 08:01 , Juan I. Cahis wrote:
>
>> I did a more simple solution, I deleted it. I don't want to do extra work
>> when Google releases every security update. With Firefox and Safari I
>> have
>> enough of browsers on my Mac.
>
> I want to do even less. So I use Chrome unless forced to use Safari or FF.

What's the size of your Chrome app?

dorayme

Oct 23, 2014, 8:57:33 PM10/23/14
In article <m2c62g$afc$3...@dont-email.me>,
John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> What's the size of your Chrome app?

376 MB

--
dorayme

Alan Browne

Oct 24, 2014, 11:39:25 AM10/24/14

========

>> I want to do even less. So I use Chrome unless forced to use Safari
>> or FF.
>
> What's the size of your Chrome app?

Why is this old dead thread resurrected?

The App itself is 338 MB installed in the Apps folder.

Currently in the ~App Support folder 156 MB are in use.

--
<< Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

John McWilliams

Oct 24, 2014, 10:21:38 PM10/24/14
On 10/24/14 PDT, 8:39 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2014.10.23, 20:21 , John McWilliams wrote:
>> On 11/17/13 PDT, 3:24 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>
> ========
>

>>> I want to do even less. So I use Chrome unless forced to use Safari
>>> or FF.
>>
>> What's the size of your Chrome app?
>
> Why is this old dead thread resurrected?

Dunno. I didn't notice the date when I replied.

diceman

Jan 17, 2015, 7:34:12 AM1/17/15
On Sunday, 10 November 2013 23:08:16 UTC, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

I just removed Google Chrome from my applications as it will soon stop receiving updates due to the hardware no longer being unsupported (I've an old 32 bit iMac). (I've switched to Firefox now, and this works well, even allowing me to continue to use a webclipper for Evernote.)

When removing the app I quickly noted it was occupying 30 'whatever' bytes of disc space (I think I assumed it was Mb, right?). Then when I right-clicked to empty my trash, it loaded up a long progress bar and very slowly ground it up. I then knew I had made a request to delete a vast file, something I hadn't expected (it was the only item in the trash). I checked my disc space and was amazed to have freed up 30Gb!! Astonishing! How has this happened? I used to regularly clear the browsing history and cache (so far as I know, unless there is some hidden stuff I don't know about). I think it was installed in 2010, and I clipped a lot of text content to Evernote, but the Evernote app only shows 200Mb usage and all content is still present after deleting Chrome.

Jolly Roger

Jan 17, 2015, 10:06:19 AM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17, diceman <james.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just removed Google Chrome from my applications as it will soon stop
> receiving updates due to the hardware no longer being unsupported
> (I've an old 32 bit iMac). (I've switched to Firefox now, and this
> works well, even allowing me to continue to use a webclipper for
> Evernote.)
>
> When removing the app I quickly noted it was occupying 30 'whatever'
> bytes of disc space (I think I assumed it was Mb, right?). Then when
> I right-clicked to empty my trash, it loaded up a long progress bar
> and very slowly ground it up. I then knew I had made a request to
> delete a vast file, something I hadn't expected (it was the only item
> in the trash). I checked my disc space and was amazed to have freed
> up 30Gb!! Astonishing! How has this happened? I used to regularly
> clear the browsing history and cache (so far as I know, unless there
> is some hidden stuff I don't know about). I think it was installed in
> 2010, and I clipped a lot of text content to Evernote, but the
> Evernote app only shows 200Mb usage and all content is still present
> after deleting Chrome.

Google Chrome keeps older versions of the application indefinitely. So
the longer you have had it installed, and the more updates that have
been applied to it, the more space it will consume:

<http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120426095831578>

Savageduck

Jan 17, 2015, 3:45:50 PM1/17/15
I don't have that problem with Chrome. I have version 39.0.2171.99
installed and no others hidden away. The total file size is 375.8 MB.
I only use Chrome as a host for the Hola VPN so I can access the BBC
iPlayer & content here in California. That works just fine for me.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Jolly Roger

Jan 17, 2015, 4:48:22 PM1/17/15
Don't ask me. I'm just reporting what I've read in the past. Perhaps
this was a behavior that more recent versions do not exhibit due to a
bug fix, or perhaps a preference setting is able to prevent the buildup.
*shrug*

Alan Browne

Jan 17, 2015, 6:21:17 PM1/17/15
I've been using Chrome since its inception and haven't had that issue.

As noted the last time this _really_ old thread was resurrected ... see
post iceman was replying to....

--
"Your net worth to the world is usually
determined by what remains after your

Jolly Roger

Jan 17, 2015, 8:21:15 PM1/17/15
Some people have had the problem. Others have, obviously.

> As noted the last time this _really_ old thread was resurrected ... see
> post iceman was replying to....

Yet diceman's post isn't very old, is it?

Jolly Roger

Jan 17, 2015, 8:25:59 PM1/17/15
*haven't*

melissa...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2015, 5:05:16 PM4/5/15
Stumbled upon this thread because I was having a similar issue. My had also organized apps by size, and found Google Chrome was taking up over 13 GB!! I tried John White's suggestion above. right clicked chrome, went to 'show package contents' and deleted all previous versions. Instantly, Chrome went down to 192.6 MB. Not sure why Chrome would store all its past versions, but this fix was wonderfully simple. Thanks!
Message has been deleted

hastings...@wheatoncollege.edu

May 24, 2015, 10:44:52 PM5/24/15
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 6:08:16 PM UTC-5, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

Google Chrome was taking up 15 gigs on my computer! There must have been over a hundred old versions on my computer, but after I deleted them Chrome went down to a reasonable size.
Thanks!

David Ryeburn

May 24, 2015, 11:57:47 PM5/24/15
In article <a50fc107-0155-41b9...@googlegroups.com>,
hastings...@wheatoncollege.edu wrote:

> On Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 6:08:16 PM UTC-5, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> > Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> > hard disk. Is this OK?

> Google Chrome was taking up 15 gigs on my computer! There must have been
> over a hundred old versions on my computer, but after I deleted them Chrome
> went down to a reasonable size.

It does that.

(1) Quite Google Chrome.
(2) Right-click on Google Chrome and choose "Show Package Contents".
(3) Left-double-click Contents.
(4) Left-double-click Versions.
(5) Trash all but the most recent version.
(6) Empty the Trash.
(7) Open Google Chrome and verify that it works normally.
(8) If it does not work normally, restore from a backup or download and
install the latest version.

--
David Ryeburn
david_...@telus.netz

John McWilliams

May 25, 2015, 6:35:52 PM5/25/15
Easier to just trash Chrome, D/L a new one.

rob...@foodconnect.com.au

Jul 27, 2015, 12:01:32 AM7/27/15
I had 32 copies using up 6GB, thanks for the thread, all sorted now

john.kr...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2015, 12:34:18 PM8/15/15
Guys...... I had 100 versions taking up 15 GB (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I was wondering why my HD was hurting for space. Trashed all versions except for the current one and it's all good now.

Thanks for the answers here.

Fred Moore

Aug 18, 2015, 11:25:15 AM8/18/15
Try Chromium. Chrome w/o Google. Only take 270MB on my Mac.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxportableapps/files/Chromium/>

--
And It's Just That Easy™

mauricio...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 1:30:29 AM10/6/15
El domingo, 10 de noviembre de 2013, 17:08:16 (UTC-6), Juan I. Cahis escribió:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

MAAAN ! CHROME IS TRASH !! DANG ! I JUST REALIZED THAT MY STORAGE WAS BEING USED A LOT BY CHROME ! IS GARBAGE ALMOS 19 GB !!!!!!! I ERASED EM INMEDIATELY ....... FU!%#K EM !!!!!

efra...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2016, 12:29:12 AM2/22/16
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 3:08:16 PM UTC-8, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

This is weird. Is there some piece of the auto-updater that is not working right? I stumbled on this thread because I noticed just now mine takes up 12GB and has 61 versions. I am deleting them but it's very bizarre because it doesn't seem to happen to very many people.

Calum

Feb 22, 2016, 6:28:40 AM2/22/16
On 22/02/2016 05:29, efra...@gmail.com wrote:

> This is weird. Is there some piece of the auto-updater that is not
> working right? I stumbled on this thread because I noticed just now
> mine takes up 12GB and has 61 versions. I am deleting them but it's
> very bizarre because it doesn't seem to happen to very many people.

Seems this can happen if a plugin messes up the permissions:

<http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2014/02/13/chrome-takes-up-much-space.html>

Lewis

Feb 22, 2016, 8:18:16 AM2/22/16
In message <naerd1$1tg1$1...@gioia.aioe.org>
I had that happen quite a long time ago, but it was when I used Chrome
regularly. Now I only launch it on rare occasions when I need some Flash
BS. As that becomes less frequent, Chrome is used less and less.

I do use it on my iPhone to access a specific site who's mobile version
does not behave well in Safari.

Chrome is currently about 400MB and contains two versions of version 48,
48.0.2564.116 and 48.0.2564.109, however I have often found that Chrome
says it is up to date when it is many versions out of date. I was
running version 36 when I finally updated manually to version 40 (or was
it 42, I forget).

One reason taht I use Chrome as little as I do is how terrible it
behaves with the Google Hangouts app, which I do use, so I need to have
it handy, but on the deskto it is, in a word, terrible.

--
Sam, I thought I told you never to play--

Alan Browne

Feb 23, 2016, 1:37:37 PM2/23/16
On 2016-02-22 00:29, efra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 3:08:16 PM UTC-8, Juan I. Cahis
> wrote:
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB
>> of my hard disk. Is this OK?

> This is weird. Is there some piece of the auto-updater that is not
> working right? I stumbled on this thread because I noticed just now
> mine takes up 12GB and has 61 versions. I am deleting them but it's
> very bizarre because it doesn't seem to happen to very many people.

Man, this thread is over 2 and half years old and just keeps
resurrecting ...

FWIW, Chrome is the browser I have the least problems with though
admittedly it uses CPU a lot at times for reasons unfathomable. Not
much of an issue for me, but for laptop opps on the road it would kill
the batteries quick.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with shitty luck."
..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02

thevideo...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 9:51:22 AM2/25/16
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 6:08:16 PM UTC-5, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

I just noticed mine was over 6 gigs. Deleted it and reinstalled. Back to under 300 megs now.

simoo...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2016, 12:10:34 AM4/30/16
Shrinking Google Chrome:

1) Right-click on chrome.app; show package contents
2) Open Versions; Select old versions and Move to Trash; Empty Trash
3) Terminal: touch /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app

Alan Browne

Apr 30, 2016, 10:11:13 AM4/30/16
On 2016-04-30 00:10, simoo...@gmail.com wrote:
<everything irrelevant snipped>

A thread that did not need resurrection, w/o attributions or prior dates
by someone who has never posted here. What are the odds?

Jolly Roger

Apr 30, 2016, 11:41:04 AM4/30/16

'nuff said... ; )

sje...@hotmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 11:50:00 AM7/28/16
On Sunday, 10 November 2013 23:08:16 UTC, Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

it was taking 15GB for me, thanks to this thread, i've deleted old versions and finally got space back, Thanks you all

Piero Calavera

Oct 22, 2020, 7:59:57 AM10/22/20
Il giorno lunedì 11 novembre 2013 alle 00:08:16 UTC+1 Juan I. Cahis ha scritto:
> Dear friends:
>
> Cleaning my Mac, I discovered that Google Chrome Browser takes 6 GB of my
> hard disk. Is this OK?
>
> I use it very seldom.
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

It happen cause there are the old versions stored inside the chrome.app package.
1. Go to chrome.app 's internal files (by selecting "show content of the package" over the package contextual's menu. Sorry i don't know the exactly english voice of the menu, mine is in italian)
2. Go under 'Contents->Versions', now you can see a lot of the app versions.
3. delete all the old versions ( major number is a recent version), you can mantain only the last one.
now you're done.

Lewis

Oct 22, 2020, 10:06:01 AM10/22/20
In message <587026ec-f875-44a9...@googlegroups.com> Piero Calavera <ilcal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Il giorno lunedì 11 novembre 2013 alle 00:08:16 UTC+1 Juan I. Cahis ha scritto:

Don't reply to 7 year old posts about a 7 year old issue.

--
Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?

Your Name

Oct 22, 2020, 3:51:48 PM10/22/20
On my Mac, Chrome app itself is only 500MB. There is a "Versions"
sub-folder, but it's further down than just "Contents->Versions". It
only keeps the current and previous versions. There's no point in
deleting them.

CleanMyMac shows the *total* size taken up by each app *and* the
various support files (not always all of them). On my Mac, that *total*
comes to 22GB ... 90% of which is single file in the Application
Support folder and is probably a cache file of some sort.

Yogi Arif Widodo

Mar 8, 2023, 10:02:18 PM3/8/23
i have same issue in my clean my mac , its show 9GB and supporting file is 6GB size . dunno how to clear ...

Jolly Roger

Mar 9, 2023, 1:35:15 AM3/9/23
On 2023-03-09, Yogi Arif Widodo <yogire...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have same issue in my clean my mac , its show 9GB and supporting
> file is 6GB size . dunno how to clear ...

Try using DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective instead.