What is this?... Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Doug Jantzer

Sep 12, 2009, 2:13:57 PM9/12/09
I just used Disk Utility to Repair Disk.

It said that the volume appears to be OK.

But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as
required."

I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

If i just do a Verify Disk, it says the disk appears to be OK but
doesn't add the bit about boot support partitions.

Simon Slavin

Sep 13, 2009, 3:51:55 PM9/13/09
On 09-12-2009, Doug Jantzer <do...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume
as�
> required."

> I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

You take your drive and you partition it into ... perhaps two
partitions. But the System really includes another two areas for data
on the drive. One is the one where the partition information is stored
and how to access the drive (duh). The other is a partition used for
telling the computer how to boot from the drive. It's this second area
that that message is talking about. You can, with a lot of work, look
inside this partition and see what's on it, but it's not worth it:
you'll never have to worry about it.

Simon.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X, since 0 days.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Doug Jantzer

Sep 13, 2009, 5:31:57 PM9/13/09
In article <nemo-1309...@nemo.com>,
Simon Slavin <sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09-12-2009, Doug Jantzer <do...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> > But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume
> as�
> > required."
>
> > I've never seen that before. What does it mean?
>
> You take your drive and you partition it into ... perhaps two
> partitions. But the System really includes another two areas for data
> on the drive. One is the one where the partition information is stored
> and how to access the drive (duh). The other is a partition used for
> telling the computer how to boot from the drive. It's this second area
> that that message is talking about. You can, with a lot of work, look
> inside this partition and see what's on it, but it's not worth it:
> you'll never have to worry about it.
>
> Simon.

Thanks Simon.

I don't recall ever seeing it before.
Maybe it was always there and I just missed it.

Does it do that every time or only when it's "necessary"?

Doug

116phot...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2019, 7:36:00 PM8/5/19
Hi there, I have this same issue, but the drive still does not show up on my desktop, so not sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Benjamin Esham

Aug 6, 2019, 3:46:42 PM8/6/19
Can you be more specific about the exact issue you're having and how you're
trying to resolve it? It sounds like you went through the Repair Disk
process and then saw the "updating boot support partitions" message. Is that
right? What kind of disk is this--an internal drive or an external drive?
What is the actual disk problem that you're trying to repair?

If you select the Go menu in the Finder and select Computer, does the disk
appear there?

(And not that it really matters, but please note that the message you're
replying to is almost ten years old, so that user is probably not around
anymore!)

--
Benjamin Esham
https://esham.io

David Ritz

Aug 6, 2019, 6:03:55 PM8/6/19
On Monday, 05 August 2019 16:35 -0700,
in article <40c9d1fd-6b68-484c...@googlegroups.com>,
116phot...@gmail.com <116phot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 11:13:57 AM UTC-7, Doug Jantzer wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I just used Disk Utility to Repair Disk.

>> It said that the volume appears to be OK.

>> But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume
>> as required."

>> I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

>> If i just do a Verify Disk, it says the disk appears to be OK but
>> doesn't add the bit about boot support partitions.

> Hi there, I have this same issue, but the drive still does not show
> up on my desktop, so not sure what to do now. Any ideas?

While it's a stab in the dark, may this issue of a disk not appearing
on the Desktop be related to the Finder Preferences (command-,)?
Under General, one is given a choice of what kinds of items will be
shown on the Desktop. While I am unsure whether you are referring to
an internal drive, an external drive or server, these options are
provided in the dialogue.

--
David Ritz <dr...@mindspring.com>
Be kind to animals; kiss a shark.