'This one is big. Even by our standards.'

David J Richardson

Dec 31, 2001, 8:00:47 PM12/31/01
(re: MacWorld, Apple site)

Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

--
David J Richardson can be found at, well, davidjri...@mac.com
Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Is that an offensive term?

Davoud

Dec 31, 2001, 10:49:08 PM12/31/01
David J Richardson wrote:
> (re: MacWorld, Apple site)
>
> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

*****

Yes, indeed. Apple may have five percent of the PC market, but they
have 95 percent of the hype market, and have just raised the bar. This
had better be good; an iMac with an LCD display won't cut it.

A desktop Mac with a 2GHz processor, a couple of gigabytes of RAM, and
perhaps 200 or so GB of fast storage, priced at $3K and with a Cinema
Display as a $1K option would cut it quite nicely, on the other hand.
I'll be watching at an Apple retails store, checkbook in hand. Anything
much less than that will put me to sleep; anything much more than that
and I'll buy two of 'em.

Davoud

Chip Zempel

Jan 1, 2002, 12:04:30 AM1/1/02
In article <borad-50DD00....@mec2.bigpond.net.au>,

David J Richardson <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> (re: MacWorld, Apple site)
>
> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

Oh, boy! I hope we get another commercial to equal "1984"!

I'm a loyal Mac user (and Goldblum fan), but I sure am getting tired of
watching Jeff Goldblum demonstrate that he can't dance, the iMovie
teenager, who can't confine himself to an airplane seat, and that weird
iPod guy - who dances even worse than Jeff Goldblum!

<shudder!>

Chip

Message has been deleted

G.T.

Jan 1, 2002, 12:48:09 AM1/1/02

As a shareholder I hope it's more than a new iMac and I definitely hope
it's more than just yet another fast machine.

From the hype I hope it's something NEW that will really catch the
public eye.

Greg
--
http://www.2fortheroad.net is back until approx 1/5/2002.
"Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc

Daniel Packman

Jan 1, 2002, 1:45:12 AM1/1/02
In article <3C314D99...@pacificnet.net>,
G.T. <eth...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
>As a shareholder I hope it's more than a new iMac and I definitely hope
>it's more than just yet another fast machine.
>
>From the hype I hope it's something NEW that will really catch the
>public eye.

Ah, the perfect thing: mobile computing built into
a scooter. But with a big build-up and presidents of
various hi-tech companies emailing each other while
traveling. :-)

--
Daniel Packman
NCAR/ACD

Stan The Man

Jan 1, 2002, 2:59:41 AM1/1/02

>As a shareholder I hope it's more than a new iMac and I definitely hope
>it's more than just yet another fast machine.

It's got to be more than that. Maybe the announcement that Apple have
taken over manufacture of the G5 chip. Or the first range of desktops
with "Firewire Inside". Or the first Apple Windows PC.

Stan

Rick Zaki

Jan 1, 2002, 3:41:49 AM1/1/02
Have they finally gone mad.

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. And you don't taunt the world like
this without delivering BIG.

Has apple hired used car salesmen with mouths that can spew tall tails?
Are they setting themselves up for a BIG disappointment?

The world is expecting fireworks now. No iSpark is gonna do the trick this
time.

THE ANSWER:

Throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

Sink or Swim?

In this case, it's sink or Kitchen sink.

The only thing that would pacify the people paying attention, and grab the
attention of those not paying attention is revamp everything

Updated processors across the board
Updated OS across the board
New software packages [yes plural]
Update iApplications with features that should have been there in the first
place like iVCD and iPictures!
Updated specs on laptops.
A new digital hub device.

Anything less would mean that apple fell short again. If they don't hit at
least 75% of the reasonable rumors, they should just lower the price on all
products across the board since "the rumor mill" is doing all this focus
grouping R&D type work for them.

We'll see what happens in a week. Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold
your breath.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

G.T.

Jan 1, 2002, 3:48:20 AM1/1/02
Rick Zaki wrote:

> Have they finally gone mad.
>
> You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. And you don't taunt the world like
> this without delivering BIG.
>
> Has apple hired used car salesmen with mouths that can spew tall tails?
> Are they setting themselves up for a BIG disappointment?
>
> The world is expecting fireworks now. No iSpark is gonna do the trick this
> time.
>
> THE ANSWER:
>
> Throw in everything including the kitchen sink.
>
> Sink or Swim?
>
> In this case, it's sink or Kitchen sink.
>
> The only thing that would pacify the people paying attention, and grab the
> attention of those not paying attention is revamp everything
>
> Updated processors across the board
> Updated OS across the board
> New software packages [yes plural]
> Update iApplications with features that should have been there in the first
> place like iVCD and iPictures!
> Updated specs on laptops.
> A new digital hub device.
>
> Anything less would mean that apple fell short again.

Sorry, but new stuff ala the above is not worth the hype. Nothing above
would make me run to the nearest Apple store.

st...@temple.edu

Jan 1, 2002, 11:19:43 AM1/1/02
Davoud <da...@davidillig.com> wrote:

> Yes, indeed. Apple may have five percent of the PC market, but they
> have 95 percent of the hype market, and have just raised the bar. This
> had better be good; an iMac with an LCD display won't cut it.

You have got to be kidding me! In one hour of watching television, I see
more hype for Windows XP than I do for the Mac OS in an entire year on the
same TV station.

Clayburn W. Juniel, III

Jan 1, 2002, 11:54:05 AM1/1/02
What I think would be really big would be...

MacOS that would run on present Intel processors. Not an emulation.

And now we return back to reality.

--
Clay
Warning! Opinions will change due to new information.

Chip Zempel

Jan 1, 2002, 11:59:06 AM1/1/02
In article <seesig-0101...@192.168.1.101>,
see...@bottom.invalid (John Steinberg) wrote:

> No, this must be
> something new and something that has application beyond the Mac faithful.
> My guess is that it's an appliance of some kind that they believe will
> have very broad appeal. Far broader, I hope, than an $8000 two-wheeled
> scooter, or even a $400 MP3 player.

Xbox killer?

(Seems pretty unlikely to me, since Macs have always lagged behind as
game platforms.)

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 11:39:38 AM1/1/02
In article <3c3147d6...@news.charter.net>,
timoth...@hotmail.com (Timothy M. Read) wrote:

> Can I save you the trip? Stay home. If Apple releases that system on
> the 7th, they'll also be announcing that they're releasing the iClock,
> a revolutionary new clock that facilitates time travel.

Okay, -that- would justify the hype: iTime travel.
--
Howard S Shubs
"Run in circles, scream and shout!" "I hope you have good backups!"

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 11:38:40 AM1/1/02

> From the hype I hope it's something NEW that will really catch the
> public eye.

You're talking about a guy (Jobs) who said that people would build cities
around that scooter thing. I'm expecting to be seriously let down.

Scott

Jan 1, 2002, 12:06:19 PM1/1/02

> As a shareholder I hope it's more than a new iMac and I definitely hope
> it's more than just yet another fast machine.

Unless they're planning on doubling or tripling specs for Macs across
the board, that's about all that's left. A new case, a speed bump. Maybe
some more vaporware OSX apps. Yawn.

> From the hype I hope it's something NEW that will really catch the
> public eye.

Unless it's something that works with Wintel boxes, only a very small
portion of the public eye will even be looking.

Scott

Jan 1, 2002, 12:09:27 PM1/1/02
In article <B856B64D.14B6%rick...@directvinternet.com>,
Rick Zaki <rick...@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. And you don't taunt the world like
> this without delivering BIG.

Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".

Like no one had ever seen portable mp3 players before.

Scott

Jan 1, 2002, 12:11:59 PM1/1/02
In article <borad-50DD00....@mec2.bigpond.net.au>,
David J Richardson <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

The sad thing is, when I read that all I could do was roll my eyes. I
used to get really excited about this kind of stuff. I remember how cool
the revealing of the iMac was, and the Cube. Everything since then has
just been an overhyped bore, and people are becoming desensitized.

If they cry wolf too many more times, no one will be listening at all.

Michael Lankton

Jan 1, 2002, 12:50:21 PM1/1/02
Here's one I never thought of til just now: OS X native Photoshop

Kevin Michael Vail

Jan 1, 2002, 12:58:56 PM1/1/02
In article <xFmY7.201539$kf1.60...@news1.rdc1.ne.home.com>, Michael
Lankton <eo...@ohtoriacademy.com> wrote:

> Here's one I never thought of til just now: OS X native Photoshop

That'll happen, but it isn't enough to justify the hype.

--
Kevin Michael Vail | a billion stars go spinning through the night,
ke...@vaildc.net | blazing high above your head.

Michael Lankton

Jan 1, 2002, 1:08:14 PM1/1/02
"Kevin Michael Vail" <ke...@vaildc.net> wrote in message

> In article <xFmY7.201539$kf1.60...@news1.rdc1.ne.home.com>, Michael
> Lankton <eo...@ohtoriacademy.com> wrote:
>
> > Here's one I never thought of til just now: OS X native Photoshop
>
> That'll happen, but it isn't enough to justify the hype.

No obviously not. I just hadn't thought about it yet, and Adobe seems
due to make some OS X news. It would be a nice cherry on top of whatever
Apple has cooked up.

dal...@mac.com

Jan 1, 2002, 1:29:36 PM1/1/02

> That'll happen, but it isn't enough to justify the hype.

What hype? The only hype I'm see'n is in the newsgroups.
dj

Davoud

Jan 1, 2002, 1:42:38 PM1/1/02
David J Richardson wrote:
> (re: MacWorld, Apple site)
> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

*****

The various replies show that Apple has succeeded in building very high
expectations, even by their standards, and that people are skeptical on
their ability to deliver.

I'll still be watching at the Tyson's corner Apple Store, hot checkbook
in my hand, er, I mean checkbook in my hot hand, but I'm skeptical,
too.

Davoud

ZnU

Jan 1, 2002, 1:47:44 PM1/1/02
In article <howard-9F10CA....@enews.newsguy.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <3c3147d6...@news.charter.net>,
> timoth...@hotmail.com (Timothy M. Read) wrote:
>
> > Can I save you the trip? Stay home. If Apple releases that system on
> > the 7th, they'll also be announcing that they're releasing the iClock,
> > a revolutionary new clock that facilitates time travel.
>
> Okay, -that- would justify the hype: iTime travel.

You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.

--
Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
-- J.K. Galbraith

Chip Zempel

Jan 1, 2002, 2:02:22 PM1/1/02
In article <dalej2-DC3D75....@zeus.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
dal...@mac.com wrote:

You haven't been to apple.com then. (And probably can't, either. Their
servers seem to be overwhelmed right now.)

dc

Jan 1, 2002, 1:49:39 PM1/1/02

Already announced; due Q2'02.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 2:14:49 PM1/1/02
In article <010120021147545091%bri...@home.com>,
Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:

> No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
> can even boot a Mac off of.

But how many people -care- about such things? I've been a Mac user since
1985, and I find the iPod to be a useless overpriced item. Five GB? Uh, they
don't make disk that small these days for normal systems. No one would buy
one.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 2:15:11 PM1/1/02
In article <xFmY7.201539$kf1.60...@news1.rdc1.ne.home.com>,
"Michael Lankton" <eo...@ohtoriacademy.com> wrote:

> Here's one I never thought of til just now: OS X native Photoshop

Which would be an announcement from Adobe, not from Apple.

Ron Shepard

Jan 1, 2002, 2:54:54 PM1/1/02
In article <borad-50DD00....@mec2.bigpond.net.au>, David J
Richardson <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

How about this: A combination computer/HDTV/TIVO/Nintendo/Sony device
that hooks up to a 36 inch flat-panel LCD widescreen monitor. It has
firewire digital and analog audio and video inputs and outputs. And it
costs less than $10K. What can you do with it? Anything you want. You
can input video from analog or digital cable or video cameras, edit the
results, dub with MP3 audio, export to the iPod, export different video
signals to different attached monitors, edit MS office documents in OS X,
output and burn DVD video, video CDs, audio CDs, and MP3 CDs.

But, I predict that it won't have a 1.4MB floppy built in, so the Wintel
crowd won't be impressed.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

Chip Zempel

Jan 1, 2002, 3:05:15 PM1/1/02
In article <ron-shepard-01...@192.168.123.47>,
ron-s...@NOSPAM.attbi.com (Ron Shepard) wrote:

Certainly sounds like Woz' and Jobs' original dream of an "information
appliance."

Of course, it just occurred to me that "big, even by our standards"
might simply mean "big" - 36 inch flat screen, terabyte HD, 30 pound
portable (remember Osbornes and Kaypros?). That sort of thing. BIG.

(Aren't rumors fun? Especially when the entity being rumored about
started the rumor!)

Fellowship of the Brandon

Jan 1, 2002, 3:12:31 PM1/1/02
In article <howard-94D2CC....@enews.newsguy.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <010120021147545091%bri...@home.com>,
> Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
> > can even boot a Mac off of.
>
> But how many people -care- about such things? I've been a Mac user since
> 1985, and I find the iPod to be a useless overpriced item.

Not useless but overpriced definitely. $300? maaaybe. $200? I'm selling
body parts to buy it (never mind who they belong to!)

> Five GB? Uh,
> they
> don't make disk that small these days for normal systems. No one would buy
> one.

It's not a normal system. It's for storing music. Lots of music. and
normal systems can't fit in your pocket

I've been spending some over the holidays downloading cds to my tibook.
I've done about 40 so far (at the high quality bit rate), which takes up
slightly under 3 gigs and equals 1 and half days of music. Select
shuffle and hit play and I'm in heaven.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 3:05:14 PM1/1/02
In article <znu-2D7851.1...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
ZnU <z...@znu.dhs.org> wrote:

> You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.

<smile> How do you know they haven't?

Zed Mister

Jan 1, 2002, 4:21:16 PM1/1/02

"Fellowship of the Brandon" <junk...@home.com> wrote in message

> > Five GB? Uh,
> > they
> > don't make disk that small these days for normal systems. No one would
buy
> > one.
>
> It's not a normal system. It's for storing music. Lots of music. and
> normal systems can't fit in your pocket

Well, this one isn't as small as the iPod, but it will still fit in your
pocket, and it does act as an external hard drive. The advantages are that
the hard drive in this unit can be replaced with any 2.5" laptop hard drive
... so you could easily to go 20GB or higher if you needed to (comes with
10GB by default). It also has a remote, which does make it easy to control
the unitl without even looking at it.

http://www.dlink.com/products/multimedia/dmphd610/

> I've been spending some over the holidays downloading cds to my tibook.
> I've done about 40 so far (at the high quality bit rate), which takes up
> slightly under 3 gigs and equals 1 and half days of music. Select
> shuffle and hit play and I'm in heaven.

But then you could that with any portable MP3/HD device... And with the
DLink unit, you'd be able to cram twice as much music into it, and the hard
drive would be useable as an external drive to ANY computer with a USB
connection. Such systems far outnumber firewire-ready computer systems.

Fellowship of the Brandon

Jan 1, 2002, 4:24:30 PM1/1/02
In article <gLpY7.20238$S3.43...@news1.telusplanet.net>,
"Zed Mister" <zedm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I've been spending some over the holidays downloading cds to my tibook.
> > I've done about 40 so far (at the high quality bit rate), which takes up
> > slightly under 3 gigs and equals 1 and half days of music. Select
> > shuffle and hit play and I'm in heaven.
>
> But then you could that with any portable MP3/HD device... And with the
> DLink unit, you'd be able to cram twice as much music into it, and the hard
> drive would be useable as an external drive to ANY computer with a USB
> connection. Such systems far outnumber firewire-ready computer systems.

perhaps, but I want firewire (or something else that will enable me
quickly transfer songs)

Mr. Neutron

Jan 1, 2002, 4:35:38 PM1/1/02

ZnU wrote:

> You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.

The time-cops would've arrested them under the
"Temporal Displacement" laws before they even
got their bags packed ;-)

Doc O'Leary

Jan 1, 2002, 4:41:20 PM1/1/02
In article <borad-50DD00....@mec2.bigpond.net.au>, David J
Richardson <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)

What would you say to an iMac that bridges into the consumer, internet
appliance space? Imagine a sophisticated, AirPort base station-like
module that can "dock" with a pen-based flat panel, semi-thin client
display module. Think about how useful it would be to take this, your
connection to the hub of your digital lifestyle, from your desk to a
meeting or from your den (or where ever you keep your computer) to any
other room in your house. Is that big enough for you? Is that
something you'd wait a week for? Is that something you'd spend $1499
on?

sp...@dynamics.org

Jan 1, 2002, 4:43:17 PM1/1/02
to cl...@home.com
In <clay3-01010...@192.168.1.2> Clayburn W. Juniel, III wrote:
> What I think would be really big would be...
>
> MacOS that would run on present Intel processors. Not an emulation.

..with agreements from the major PC manufacturers to offer OS X/Intel as an
option on all their new computers, either instead of, or as dual boot, to
Windows XP

..with a pledge from Microsoft to port IE and its Office Suite to OS X/Intel
as well as OS X/PPC...

> And now we return back to reality.
>
> --
> Clay
> Warning! Opinions will change due to new information.
> http://EffectiveSoftwareSolutions.com

Lee Altenberg, Ph.D.
E-mail: sp...@dynamics.org

Zed Mister

Jan 1, 2002, 4:50:57 PM1/1/02

"Fellowship of the Brandon" <junk...@home.com> wrote in message

Well, let's look at it this way.

USB (12 mbps) can transfer 5GB in 57 minutes.
Firewire (400 mbps) can transfer 5GB in 1.7 minutes.

Of course with firewire other interesting quirks show up in the
calculations, since most ATA100 UIDE hard drives cannot transfer data at a
sustained 400mbps transfer rate. Most 7200rpm ATA100 drives will max out at
around 40MB/sec (320 mbps) for sustained read access. So if you're copying
MP3 files from your home pc onto the iPod, you are most likely restricted by
the capabilities of your internal hard disk, and not by the iPod's firewire
connection. Which means realistically you'd be looking at transferring 5GB
in about 128 seconds (2.1 minutes).

Yes, firewire is far superior. But I am certainly willing to wait a couple
of hours to transfer 10GB of music onto a portable device. I mean it's not
as though I'm likely to keep wiping the drive clean and filling it up again.
I may remove a few songs here and add a few there ... but the 2 hour wait to
fill the drive is a one-time event. I'd much rather have the ability to
have twice the music (or more since I can always upgrade the hard drive
unit) ... I'd rather be able to connect the drive to virtually any computer
out there, without worrying about whether it has a firewire connection or
not (most computers out there don't). I'd also rather pay $229 instead of
$399 and get a remote control unit as an extra bonus.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 4:26:17 PM1/1/02
In article <010120021336572826%bri...@home.com>,

Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:

> That's their problem, if they don't look beyond the surface appearance
> of the thing.

If I look at the surface, it seems over-priced. If I look at the specs, it
seems beyond over-priced. It's like including a bathtub with a car, just
because you have one available. Ridiculous.

Martin Cox

Jan 1, 2002, 4:55:05 PM1/1/02

> You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.

They did.

However, nobody took them seriously (I mean, *time travel*? They only do
that in every third Star Trek episode, so no-one actually believes it's
possible) so they are now languishing in an insane asylum somewhere in
New Jersey trying to convince the psychiatrists that Apple really does
buy Microsoft in the year 2140, and that Bill Gates' cryogenically
frozen body is auctioned off the following year (though the bids never
reach more than 2Kongbucks).

But even Time Travel wouldn't keep the geeks happy anyway. They'd just
say "yeah, so I can go back to the Dark Ages. Who really *wants* to? All
I want to do is rip MP3s at 3000kbps, watch the Episode II DVD on my 36"
flat screen, and play Quake IV at 793fps all at the same time. This
'time travel' kick Apple are on is just like the Cube - too expensive,
lacking in performance, and is going to flop driving Apple out of
business. Just you wait and see."

--

Martin Cox
"Wibble" - Capt Blackadder

Black Brandon Down

Jan 1, 2002, 5:12:54 PM1/1/02
In article <5bqY7.20270$S3.43...@news1.telusplanet.net>,
"Zed Mister" <zedm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

'nuff said. faster is much better for me.

> But I am certainly willing to wait a couple
> of hours to transfer 10GB of music onto a portable device. I mean it's not
> as though I'm likely to keep wiping the drive clean and filling it up again.
> I may remove a few songs here and add a few there ... but the 2 hour wait to
> fill the drive is a one-time event. I'd much rather have the ability to
> have twice the music (or more since I can always upgrade the hard drive
> unit) ... I'd rather be able to connect the drive to virtually any computer
> out there, without worrying about whether it has a firewire connection or
> not (most computers out there don't). I'd also rather pay $229 instead of
> $399 and get a remote control unit as an extra bonus.

excellent points although most computers *I* interact with DO have
firewire though (work and school)

dal...@mac.com

Jan 1, 2002, 5:38:51 PM1/1/02
Have we all become a little jaded? Its getting hard for Apple and
others to impress us anymore. Sad but I think it's true.
dj

Kevin Michael Vail

Jan 1, 2002, 5:47:05 PM1/1/02
In article <5bqY7.20270$S3.43...@news1.telusplanet.net>, Zed Mister
<zedm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, firewire is far superior. But I am certainly willing to wait a couple
> of hours to transfer 10GB of music onto a portable device. I mean it's not
> as though I'm likely to keep wiping the drive clean and filling it up again.
> I may remove a few songs here and add a few there ... but the 2 hour wait to
> fill the drive is a one-time event.

But that's where the iPod shines. You can change its entire contents
without considering it a chore. I can decide I want to change from
"work" music (primarily light classical/new age) to "road trip" music
(primarily pop/rock) on my way out the door. Just a few minutes and
it's done. It's the difference between waiting for a laptop to boot up
and turning on a Palm--you end up using it more because you don't have
to worry about startup time.

I think the different devices are aimed at different people. The iPod
is perfect for me, but I have a cow orker who feels like you do. But
he always has the same music on his, and it doesn't fit in his pocket
so he doesn't listen to it as much as I do mine. And it *definitely*
doesn't get the battery life the iPod does.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 5:39:33 PM1/1/02
In article <mspace-9EB52C....@copper.ipg.tsnz.net>,
Martin Cox <msp...@bigfoot.com.spammenot.invalid> wrote:

> But even Time Travel wouldn't keep the geeks happy anyway. They'd just
> say "yeah, so I can go back to the Dark Ages. Who really *wants* to? All
> I want to do is rip MP3s at 3000kbps, watch the Episode II DVD on my 36"
> flat screen, and play Quake IV at 793fps all at the same time. This
> 'time travel' kick Apple are on is just like the Cube - too expensive,
> lacking in performance, and is going to flop driving Apple out of
> business. Just you wait and see."

Waitaminut... I think I get it: Apple's going to start its own space program.
It's a "program", you see?

Scott

Jan 1, 2002, 5:40:01 PM1/1/02
In article <010120021147545091%bri...@home.com>,

Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:

> No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
> can even boot a Mac off of.

And that's "groundbreaking"? It's a simple application of already
available technology.

And just for the record: yeah, it's a neat toy. Useless, but neat. I'm
not even saying it's overpriced.

But it's NOT groundbreaking, mindboggling, or pushing the envelope. It's
an MP3 player, for cryin' out loud.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 5:40:57 PM1/1/02
In article <junkie46-4D1788...@news2.nash1.tn.home.com>,

Fellowship of the Brandon <junk...@home.com> wrote:

> It's not a normal system. It's for storing music. Lots of music. and
> normal systems can't fit in your pocket

Right, and it's not a computer, either. Pushing it as a disk drive for use
with a computer is really stretching things.

Scott

Jan 1, 2002, 5:42:37 PM1/1/02
In article <czempel-B7E096...@news.mindspring.com>,
Chip Zempel <cze...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Xbox killer?

Stop it, you're scaring me.

Davoud

Jan 1, 2002, 6:22:27 PM1/1/02
Doc O'Leary wrote:

> What would you say to an iMac that bridges into the consumer, internet
> appliance space? Imagine a sophisticated, AirPort base station-like
> module that can "dock" with a pen-based flat panel, semi-thin client
> display module. Think about how useful it would be to take this, your
> connection to the hub of your digital lifestyle, from your desk to a
> meeting or from your den (or where ever you keep your computer) to any
> other room in your house. Is that big enough for you? Is that
> something you'd wait a week for? Is that something you'd spend $1499
> on?

*****

Yawn. I want something that is to the Mac what the Mac is to a stone
slab and chisel.

Davoud

Barry Twycross

Jan 1, 2002, 6:24:13 PM1/1/02
In article <seesig-0101...@192.168.1.101>, John Steinberg
<see...@bottom.invalid> wrote:

> Steve Jobs is scheduled to also do a keynote speech at CES Vegas next
> week.

Not according to the CES's web site he isn't. Bill Gates is on the
other hand. There is speculation that the change in Steve's keynote is
to upstage Bill.

--
Barry
Ba...@netbox.com <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

Barry Twycross

Jan 1, 2002, 6:30:14 PM1/1/02
In article <v5143ukibsc9apr1l...@4ax.com>, dc
<d...@foo.bar> wrote:

> Already announced; due Q2'02.

When? I haven't seen any announcement. There's nothing on Adobe's web
site I can find?

Aaron Davies

Jan 1, 2002, 6:44:47 PM1/1/02
Chip Zempel <cze...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> In article <seesig-0101...@192.168.1.101>,
> see...@bottom.invalid (John Steinberg) wrote:
>
> > No, this must be
> > something new and something that has application beyond the Mac faithful.
> > My guess is that it's an appliance of some kind that they believe will
> > have very broad appeal. Far broader, I hope, than an $8000 two-wheeled
> > scooter, or even a $400 MP3 player.
> >

> Xbox killer?
>
> (Seems pretty unlikely to me, since Macs have always lagged behind as
> game platforms.)

Remember the Pippen?
--
Aaron Davies
aa...@avalon.pascal-central.com

Davoud

Jan 1, 2002, 6:51:17 PM1/1/02
Saber1 wrote:

> They have been paying alot of bonuses to senior level execs recently.
> In my mind that can signifies a few things. They have really hit some
> sort of jackpot which make them goto the moon stock price wise. Or they
> are extracting their golden parachutes now so there is not whining about
> it after the merger or buyout. Just speculation on my part. :-)

*****

Now! Saber1 may be on to something. This doesn't have to be a product;
it could be the sale of Apple or a merger. That would be Big, I think.

Davoud

Michael Gardner

Jan 1, 2002, 6:56:54 PM1/1/02

> In article <howard-9F10CA....@enews.newsguy.com>,

> Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:
>

> > In article <3c3147d6...@news.charter.net>,
> > timoth...@hotmail.com (Timothy M. Read) wrote:
> >
> > > Can I save you the trip? Stay home. If Apple releases that system on
> > > the 7th, they'll also be announcing that they're releasing the iClock,
> > > a revolutionary new clock that facilitates time travel.
> >
> > Okay, -that- would justify the hype: iTime travel.

> You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.

How about Bluetooth support across the line? Sony will supposedly be
including Bluetooth soon in one of it's DV cams.

mgg

Black Brandon Down

Jan 1, 2002, 7:00:56 PM1/1/02
In article <010120021530144292%ba...@netbox.com>,
Barry Twycross <ba...@netbox.com> wrote:

> > Already announced; due Q2'02.
>
> When? I haven't seen any announcement. There's nothing on Adobe's web
> site I can find?

here's a link to the cnet story

Black Brandon Down

Jan 1, 2002, 7:04:20 PM1/1/02

Kevin_...@hotmail.com

Jan 1, 2002, 5:37:16 PM1/1/02
On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Zed Mister wrote:

> Of course with firewire other interesting quirks show up in the
> calculations, since most ATA100 UIDE hard drives cannot transfer data at a
> sustained 400mbps transfer rate. Most 7200rpm ATA100 drives will max out at
> around 40MB/sec (320 mbps) for sustained read access. So if you're copying

(snort) Yeah, right. Point me at a couple of those sustained-access
40MB/sec drives, will you? Try about a fifth of that.

KeS

dal...@mac.com

Jan 1, 2002, 7:17:27 PM1/1/02
you're all crazy
dj

Tim Adams

Jan 1, 2002, 7:19:21 PM1/1/02
in article 010120021851157044%da...@davidillig.com, Davoud at
da...@davidillig.com wrote on 1/1/02 6:51 PM:

How about 'Apple buys controlling share of MS'...

> Davoud

dal...@mac.com

Jan 1, 2002, 7:19:52 PM1/1/02
a transporter.......iTransporter....
dj

ZnU

Jan 1, 2002, 7:29:09 PM1/1/02
In article <mgg-B1876F.1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Michael Gardner <m...@uiuc.edu> wrote:

For what? It's nowhere near fast enough to transfer a DV stream.

--
Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
-- J.K. Galbraith

John C. Randolph

Jan 1, 2002, 7:40:12 PM1/1/02

Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
from Motorola"?

-jcr

sp...@dynamics.org

Jan 1, 2002, 8:14:04 PM1/1/02
to sp...@spacemoose.com.invalid
In <010120021801153671%sp...@spacemoose.com.invalid> Joon wrote:
> In article <10099212...@ftp.mauigateway.com>, <sp...@dynamics.org>

> wrote:
>
> > ..with agreements from the major PC manufacturers to offer OS X/Intel as
an
> > option on all their new computers, either instead of, or as dual boot, to
> > Windows XP
> >
> > ..with a pledge from Microsoft to port IE and its Office Suite to OS
X/Intel
> > as well as OS X/PPC...

.. And new hardware: a parallel expandable supercomputer built out of
transparent 8" hexagonal modules, each with dual G5 CPUs. The modules mount
to a central post with FireWire connections, in arrays of six, with up to 4
stacked arrays per post. Any number of posts can be connected to make a
"reef"...

> the day that happens is the day I can fly a pig to work.
>
> right now I'm sorta mad I didn't wait to buy my G4 (got it Aug 01,
> QS867), but I guess if you keep waiting for the latest model you'll
> never buy one.
>
> --
> you know, if Jesus comes back to Earth, I bet the last
> thing he'll want to see again is another cross.

Bob Wilson (Holly's toy)

Jan 1, 2002, 8:40:13 PM1/1/02
Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> > You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> > popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.
>

> <smile> How do you know they haven't?

What? Some sort of retroactive non-dis<glack>

Bob Wilson (Holly's toy)

Jan 1, 2002, 8:40:14 PM1/1/02
John Steinberg <see...@bottom.invalid> wrote:

> A Mac TV?

Sorry but after the cable fare over Christmas and New Years, I'm
convenced Bruce Springstien was right. But for CSPAN, cable would be
history in my house.

Bob Wilson

Tim Smith

Jan 1, 2002, 8:48:43 PM1/1/02
Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:
>> Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".
>>
>> Like no one had ever seen portable mp3 players before.

>No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
>can even boot a Mac off of.

But others can be used as USB drives, so the idea of making the player
appear as a drive is not groundbreaking. The iPod is nothing more or
less than a nice piece of routine engineering.

--Tim Smith

John C. Randolph

Jan 1, 2002, 8:58:36 PM1/1/02

Saber1 wrote:

> In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>,

> Thats not earth shaking IMO.

Saving SGI (and Cray) from oblivion? I'd call that pretty significant.

-jcr

Tim Smith

Jan 1, 2002, 9:03:12 PM1/1/02
"Zed Mister" <zedm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> perhaps, but I want firewire (or something else that will enable me
>> quickly transfer songs)
>
>Well, let's look at it this way.
>
>USB (12 mbps) can transfer 5GB in 57 minutes.
>Firewire (400 mbps) can transfer 5GB in 1.7 minutes.

>Yes, firewire is far superior. But I am certainly willing to wait a couple
>of hours to transfer 10GB of music onto a portable device. I mean it's not
>as though I'm likely to keep wiping the drive clean and filling it up again.
>I may remove a few songs here and add a few there ... but the 2 hour wait to
>fill the drive is a one-time event. I'd much rather have the ability to

Right. USB downloads faster than you can rip and encode if you are
doing the ripping and encoding yourself, and USB downloads faster than
you can download from the internet if you are getting your MP3's that
way, so the only part that will be slow is transfering your existing
MP3's to the device. Most people aren't going to find that to be a
big deal.

Now, on the other hand...using it as a portable hard disk that also
can play MP3's is a different story. When I leave work, I tar and
gzip up the stuff I work on and copy it to a zip disk to bring home,
in case I decide to work at home the next day. When I go back to
work, I do the same thing the other way. If I worked on Macs and had
an iPod, I'd probably use it split with about 1 gig for music, and 4
gig for file transfer. 1 gig with shuffle play is enough to last me
for a couple days at the office, so I'd simply load it with a
different set of 1 gig every so often. With the 4 gig for file
transfer, I wouldn't have to bother with tar/gz to make things fit,
and wouldn't have to clean up my project files before transfering them
to save space.

--Tim Smith

René A. Vega

Jan 1, 2002, 9:03:25 PM1/1/02

Tim Smith wrote:

> Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:
> >> Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".

Exactly. The groundbreakingannouncement will be EQ capability for the iPod,
an LCD iMac in five glitter colors, and ultrasonic cooling fans for the new
higher speed TiBooks.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 8:48:07 PM1/1/02
In article <010120021822263318%da...@davidillig.com>,
Davoud <da...@davidillig.com> wrote:

> Yawn. I want something that is to the Mac what the Mac is to a stone
> slab and chisel.

A HAL-like voice/voice computer. No way Apple's got that. But that fits.
That'd blow everyone away, and not just Apple-fans.

John C. Randolph

Jan 1, 2002, 9:24:00 PM1/1/02

Saber1 wrote:

> In article <3C32694E...@idiom.com>,

> "John C. Randolph" <j...@idiom.com> wrote:

> > Saving SGI (and Cray) from oblivion? I'd call that pretty significant.
> >
> > -jcr
>

> To what ends? What does it mean for Apple?

Well, for starters, it means that Apple would have offerings from
laptops to Big Iron, and it would bring Cray FORTRAN (still the best
vectorizing compiler in the world) to the party, which would have very
significant effects on Altivec applications in science and engineering applications.

-jcr

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 9:16:58 PM1/1/02
In article <dalej2-DBC71A....@zeus.rdc-kc.rr.com>, dal...@mac.com
wrote:

> you're all crazy

Is this news? <grin>

muffinman

Jan 1, 2002, 9:49:35 PM1/1/02
Chip Zempel1/1/02 3:05
PMcz...@mindspring.comczempel-BF6BC9.12051501012002@news.mindspring.com

> Of course, it just occurred to me that "big, even by our standards"
> might simply mean "big" - 36 inch flat screen, terabyte HD, 30 pound
> portable (remember Osbornes and Kaypros?). That sort of thing. BIG.

Chip, I think you just nailed it my friend! Play on words, of course!

--
muffin-spam-man : - remove dashes and spam to reply, Thanks :)

John Jensen

Jan 1, 2002, 10:12:08 PM1/1/02
John C. Randolph <j...@idiom.com> writes:

: > > Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
: > > from Motorola"?

: > Thats not earth shaking IMO.

: Saving SGI (and Cray) from oblivion? I'd call that pretty significant.

SGI no longer has Cray.

"Cray Research merged with SGI (Silicon Graphics, Inc.) in February
1996. In August 1999, SGI created a separate Cray Research business
unit to focus exclusively on the unique requirements of high-end
supercomputing customers. Assets of this business unit were sold to
Tera Computer Company in March 2000."

http://www.cray.com/company/history.html

John
--
33° 47' 37N 117° 54' 52W

Tim McNamara

Jan 1, 2002, 10:12:00 PM1/1/02
Scott <swit...@ccrtc.com> writes:

> Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".
>

> Like no one had ever seen portable mp3 players before.

How many people have seen MP3 players that can also carry Photoshop
files? The iPod *is* actually groundbreaking. Whether it's ground
that needed to be broken is a separate issue.

Adin Hunter Baber

Jan 1, 2002, 10:26:22 PM1/1/02
In article <howard-87317E....@enews.newsguy.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <010120021822263318%da...@davidillig.com>,
> Davoud <da...@davidillig.com> wrote:
>
> > Yawn. I want something that is to the Mac what the Mac is to a stone
> > slab and chisel.
>
> A HAL-like voice/voice computer. No way Apple's got that. But that fits.
> That'd blow everyone away, and not just Apple-fans.

But HAL didn't really blow anyone away, he just cut off their life
support... oh wait, I see what you mean.

(Apologies in advance, I just couldn't resist :)

--
Adin Hunter Baber
"Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain"

dc

Jan 1, 2002, 10:41:06 PM1/1/02
On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 23:30:14 GMT, Barry Twycross <ba...@netbox.com>
wrote:

>> Already announced; due Q2'02.
>
>When? I haven't seen any announcement. There's nothing on Adobe's web
>site I can find?

News.com - see the Adobe CEO interview.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 1, 2002, 11:50:21 PM1/1/02
In article <mjolnir_DELETE_-2C...@east.usenetserver.com>,

Adin Hunter Baber <mjolnir...@soltec.net> wrote:

> But HAL didn't really blow anyone away, he just cut off their life
> support... oh wait, I see what you mean.

<sigh>

Zed Mister

Jan 2, 2002, 1:34:30 AM1/2/02

<Kevin_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
cbell.net...

You must be using some shitty-ass hard drives then. Here are comparisons
for five ATA100 7200rpm IDE drives:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/01q1/010312/cebit-07.html#data_transfer
_performance

The Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus 60 (the one I happen to have) has a sustained data
transfer rate of 39100 KB/s at the beginning of the media, and 20900 KB/s at
the end of the media. If you average that you get exactly 30000 KB/s ...
but the max is roughly 40000 KB/sec and the min is roughly 20000 KB/sec.

Paul

Jan 2, 2002, 4:31:15 AM1/2/02

It better be a mobile holo-emitter or nothing.

Paul

"David J Richardson" <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> (re: MacWorld, Apple site)
>
> Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)
>
> --
> David J Richardson can be found at, well, davidjri...@mac.com
> Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Is that an offensive term?
> Should I say "Undead American"? - 'When She Was Bad'
> Doctor Who articles and more at http://go.to/davidjrichardson/

C Lund

Jan 2, 2002, 5:29:48 AM1/2/02
In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph"
<j...@idiom.com> wrote:

> Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> from Motorola"?

"Microsoft buys Apple".. ;)

--

C Lund, Oslo
http://www.notam02.no/~clund/

C Lund

Jan 2, 2002, 5:32:20 AM1/2/02
In article <swithrow-8360FD...@enews.newsguy.com>, Scott
<swit...@ccrtc.com> wrote:

> Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".
> Like no one had ever seen portable mp3 players before.

Nobody's ever seen portable mp3 players like the iPod before.

Chris Barrus

Jan 2, 2002, 6:21:44 AM1/2/02
<j...@idiom.com> wrote:

> Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> from Motorola"?

Heck, how about "Apple buys Handspring"?

-c.

Chris Barrus, No-Fi, etc. http://www.no-fi.com/

EE

Jan 2, 2002, 6:51:53 AM1/2/02
In article
<christopher.lund...@c224s131h2.upc.chello.no>, C Lund
<christop...@NOSPAMchello.no> wrote:

> In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph"
> <j...@idiom.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> > from Motorola"?
>
> "Microsoft buys Apple".. ;)

"Apple buys Microsoft"

;o)=

Gerry Orkin

Jan 2, 2002, 6:57:12 AM1/2/02
Now the site says "Beyond the rumour sites. Way beyond."

Gerry

Gerry Orkin

Jan 2, 2002, 6:58:24 AM1/2/02
On 2/1/02 10:57 PM, in article B85940B3.3115%ger...@bigpond.net.au, "Gerry
Orkin" <ger...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Now the site says "Beyond the rumour sites. Way beyond."
>
> Gerry

(But of course I spell like an Australian. The site is in American :))

Gerry

John C. Randolph

Jan 2, 2002, 7:34:59 AM1/2/02

C Lund wrote:

> In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph"
> <j...@idiom.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> > from Motorola"?
>
> "Microsoft buys Apple".. ;)

Oh, yeah.. The regulatory authorities would *love* that.

-jcr

John C. Randolph

Jan 2, 2002, 7:37:32 AM1/2/02

Gerry Orkin wrote:

> Now the site says "Beyond the rumour sites. Way beyond."

Well, I'm starting work there in about five hours. I sure hope they
decide to brief me on it ;-)

Yours for more speculation,

-jcr (who will probably be working the show booth at least one day next week...)

¬Horse

Jan 2, 2002, 7:39:15 AM1/2/02
"Apple finds cure for Weil's Disease"

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:07:36 AM1/2/02
In article <a0sniv$a93$2...@cronkite.temple.edu>, st...@temple.edu wrote:

> Davoud <da...@davidillig.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, indeed. Apple may have five percent of the PC market, but they
> > have 95 percent of the hype market, and have just raised the bar. This
> > had better be good; an iMac with an LCD display won't cut it.
>
> You have got to be kidding me! In one hour of watching television, I see
> more hype for Windows XP than I do for the Mac OS in an entire year on the
> same TV station.

That's not what we're talking about. XP can spend $1 billion on
advertising and not generate anything more than a yawn. XP has not proven
to be a successful update; most people get it only because their new
machines have it pre-loaded.

The XBox has been hyped to hell and back, and yet the GameCube (which I
have *yet* to see even ONE ad for) and the PS2 outsold it.

Apple has the ability to capture the public's imagination and their
admiration. They seem to lack the ability to really turn that high regard
into mass sales, but frankly that may be for the best. Given a choice
between Macs having more mass appeal but making Windows-like compromises
to mediocrity, and limiting Macs to 10% maximum marketshare but preserving
most of their technical and aethestic excellence, I'll take the latter,
thanks.
--
_Chas_
(non-spammers should use "chasm" at mac-dot-com instead of the email above!)

"Call me old-fashioned, but I want to read email with an email client, news with
a newsreader, and browse with a browser. A Swiss army knife is no substitute for
a toolbox." -- Kevin Craig, comp.sys.mac.apps

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:08:43 AM1/2/02
In article <clay3-01010...@192.168.1.2>,
cl...@home.com (Clayburn W. Juniel, III) wrote:

> What I think would be really big would be...
>
> MacOS that would run on present Intel processors. Not an emulation.
>
> And now we return back to reality.

That *would* be really big, but it would also destroy the company. Unless
they figure out some way to prevent that. Which would be pretty damn
clever.

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:10:37 AM1/2/02
In article <xFmY7.201539$kf1.60...@news1.rdc1.ne.home.com>,
"Michael Lankton" <eo...@ohtoriacademy.com> wrote:

> Here's one I never thought of til just now: OS X native Photoshop

Adobe has already said this will not be released till March at the
earliest.

You can, of course, expect an extensive demo at Macworld ...

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:21:20 AM1/2/02
In article <010120021541208218%drol...@subsume.com>,
Doc O'Leary <drol...@subsume.com> wrote:

> In article <borad-50DD00....@mec2.bigpond.net.au>, David J

> Richardson <bo...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Now that's cranking up the hype a few notches! Given the whinging
> > after recent keynotes, I hope the description is accurate :)
>

> What would you say to an iMac that bridges into the consumer, internet
> appliance space?

As one of Apple's biggest and most easily-excitable fans, I'd still say
"yawn." And after I said that, I'd say "guaranteed flop."

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:02:40 AM1/2/02
In article <B856B64D.14B6%rick...@directvinternet.com>,
Rick Zaki <rick...@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> Have they finally gone mad.

Well, yes. But in a good way. :)

> You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. And you don't taunt the world like
> this without delivering BIG.

If my info is right, they will. But not the way you think.

> Has apple hired used car salesmen with mouths that can spew tall tails?
> Are they setting themselves up for a BIG disappointment?

I'm sure some people -- who live in Fantasyland -- will be disappointed in
the hardware updates. Of course, these people were expecting quad-proc
G5's with a sideboard Intel processor running Windows at 3GHz, OS X at 6
GHz and everything included for under $999. These people will be bitterly
disappointed, but if we identify them and kill them after the show we'll
never have to listen to their whiny shit ever again. :)

> THE ANSWER:
>
> Throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

wrong.

> The only thing that would pacify the people paying attention, and grab the
> attention of those not paying attention is revamp everything

wrong. There is something completely new coming. This is apart from the
hardware updates.

> Updated processors across the board

Riiight. Tell you what, YOU explain to the people who just bought the
revised-last-week Powerbooks that their models are now obsolete, m'kay? Or
the iBook owners who haven't yet had three months to enjoy their 600s.

> Updated OS across the board

Man, you really don't understand OS X at all, do you? It just doesn't work
like that, dude. You get tons of little updates all during the year, and
one (maybe two) big updates that incorporate all the little ones.

> New software packages [yes plural]

FCP 3 is already announced and apart from a few loose ends that's it for
the current software. Everything else from Apple is already up to speed,
save QT 6.

> Update iApplications with features that should have been there in the first
> place like iVCD and iPictures!

These would be nice. "iVCD" will probably stay with Toast for the near
future. "iPictures" -- something like that, yes.

> Updated specs on laptops.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN. At least not right now. Later.

> A new digital hub device.

That's a good direction to be thinking in.

> Anything less would mean that apple fell short again.

No it wouldn't. It would mean that your expectations are unrealistic.

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:04:30 AM1/2/02
In article <seesig-0101...@192.168.1.101>,
see...@bottom.invalid (John Steinberg) wrote:

> Far broader, I hope, than an $8000 two-wheeled
> scooter, or even a $400 MP3 player.

Two corrections:

1. The Segway's consumer model is presently priced at $3000.

2. WHATEVER Apple comes up with, from iCam to iCureforCancer, people will
claim it's overpriced. Even if it's $99.

> Whatever it is, I'm excited to see what they've got.

Yeah, baby!

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:18:45 AM1/2/02
In article <howard-94D2CC....@enews.newsguy.com>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <010120021147545091%bri...@home.com>,
> Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
> > can even boot a Mac off of.
>
> But how many people -care- about such things? I've been a Mac user since
> 1985, and I find the iPod to be a useless overpriced item. Five GB? Uh,
> they
> don't make disk that small these days for normal systems. No one would buy
> one.

You don't get out much, do you Howard?

The iPod has been a VERY healthy seller. I doubt it's going to set the
world on fire on anything, mind you, but you're just not using your
imagination on this.

First off, the iPod holds a LOT of music. This is FABULOUS for people like
me who travel a lot.

Second, it's a useable, workable, portable emergency backup unit. All my
system files and REALLY valuable data will MORE than fit in 5GB.

Third, it's a pro musician's WET DREAM. Not only is it a killer MP3 player
(for up to 10 hours!), but he can store his projects (even in raw form)
with room to spare. This makes taking work between studios a BREEZE.

Fourth, future expansion. The iPod is one firmware update away from being
able to pump out visuals (say presentations) onto a big screen via some
kind of FW to video output. Or maybe visuals to augment the music. Woah.

Fifth, it's up to 20 minutes* of stealth video for newscrews in dangerous
situations. The Pakistani border guards see a (working) MP3 player and
don't realize that the drive can hold data too. :) *using RTOffline.

Sixth, it's an emergency boot and recover disk.

Seventh, it's got breakout built-in. :)

Well worth the $399, though admittedly about $50 to $100 of that is the
size/weight premium.

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:26:10 AM1/2/02
In article <mgg-B1876F.1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Michael Gardner <m...@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> In article <znu-2D7851.1...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
> ZnU <z...@znu.dhs.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <howard-9F10CA....@enews.newsguy.com>,

> > Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> > > Okay, -that- would justify the hype: iTime travel.
> >
> > You'd think if Apple were introducing a time machine, someone would have
> > popped in from the future to drop the rumors sites a line.
>
> How about Bluetooth support across the line? Sony will supposedly be
> including Bluetooth soon in one of it's DV cams.

Congratulations! You have won the Lamest Prediction Award, aka the
"WhoTheFuckCares" award. You can pick it up at the show, right after the
"Remember when BlueTooth had a Future?" panel.

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:27:52 AM1/2/02
In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>,
"John C. Randolph" <j...@idiom.com> wrote:

> Davoud wrote:
> >
> > Saber1 wrote:
> >
> > > They have been paying alot of bonuses to senior level execs recently.
> > > In my mind that can signifies a few things. They have really hit some
> > > sort of jackpot which make them goto the moon stock price wise. Or they
> > > are extracting their golden parachutes now so there is not whining about
> > > it after the merger or buyout. Just speculation on my part. :-)
> >
> > *****
> >
> > Now! Saber1 may be on to something. This doesn't have to be a product;
> > it could be the sale of Apple or a merger. That would be Big, I think.

> Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> from Motorola"?

Apart from a new consumer device, this sounds the most plausible.

Hey, what if Apple bought AMD -- wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants! :)

(remember, kids -- this is just wild speculation for fun)

Chip Zempel

Jan 2, 2002, 8:28:21 AM1/2/02
In article <sCDY7.253816$Ga5.45...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>,
Charles Martin <rub...@bollocks.org> wrote:

> Apple has the ability to capture the public's imagination and their
> admiration. They seem to lack the ability to really turn that high regard
> into mass sales, but frankly that may be for the best. Given a choice
> between Macs having more mass appeal but making Windows-like compromises
> to mediocrity, and limiting Macs to 10% maximum marketshare but preserving
> most of their technical and aethestic excellence, I'll take the latter,
> thanks.

Reminds me of the oft-made analogy Apple:Microsoft = BMW:General Motors.

Chip Zempel

Jan 2, 2002, 8:29:53 AM1/2/02
In article <B85940B3.3115%ger...@bigpond.net.au>,
Gerry Orkin <ger...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Now the site says "Beyond the rumour sites. Way beyond."
>
> Gerry

Well, we've heard rumors about time travel and iTransporters here. Are
they really going to top that? (What's left? iArmageddon?)

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:30:24 AM1/2/02
In article <4ip43us9iecntvc1l...@4ax.com>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Keeper of the Purple Twilight <bri...@home.com> wrote:

> >> Well, this is the company that said said the iPod was "groundbreaking".
> >>
> >> Like no one had ever seen portable mp3 players before.
> >

> >No other portable MP3 player can be used as a FireWire drive that you
> >can even boot a Mac off of.
>

> But others can be used as USB drives, so the idea of making the player
> appear as a drive is not groundbreaking. The iPod is nothing more or
> less than a nice piece of routine engineering.

It should be pointed out that MOST of the "innovative" devices in the
world are such things -- slightly better applications of routine
engineering.

The fax machine (telecopier) was invented during WWII. When did fax
machines become really big? About 40 years later.

Cell phones were around in the 60s. When did they become really big? About
30 years later.

The internet was alive and well in 1986. When did it become really big?
About 10 years later.

Charles Martin

Jan 2, 2002, 8:32:42 AM1/2/02
christop...@NOSPAMchello.no (C Lund) wrote:

> In article <3C3256EF...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph"
> <j...@idiom.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe, "Apple buys SGI", or "Apple buys the whole PPC development shop
> > from Motorola"?
>
> "Microsoft buys Apple".. ;)

"President Quayle!" ;)

It is loading more messages.