iPad hardware fails ...

Frank O'Connor

Oct 27, 2011, 5:32:26 PM10/27/11
It looks like my early model iPad has expired. I bought it on 19
October 2010, it was delivered about a week later, and it started
exhibiting problems about 5 days ago. Initially assuming it was a
software problem, I've been trying to fix it by doing Restore's (each
of which has taken about 7 hours to complete) and complete Re-synchs
but nothing seems to resolve the problem.
Originally I'd put the problem down to iTunes 10.5 and IOS 5 ....
because the problems surfaced after those updates, but now I am forced
to conclude that it is something more fundamental that is happening at
the hardware level.
- Apps are very flakey and crash with gay abandon
- Apps run much more slowly than usual.
- Apps with large numbers of files (e.g iBooks) crash while booting. I
haven't been able to access my books for days.
- Other apps boot then crash
- The Capacity usage showing in iTunes varies radically each time I
connect the iPad, the Other figure and Books figure seems completely
random
- iTunes 10.5 seems to lose track of updated files during a synch,
and/or lose contact with the iPad during synchs.
- iTunes Restore's and Synchs take an inordinate amount of time
(between four and seven hours) and are pretty much unsuccessful.
As you can imagine, I'm a bit annoyed. Hardware that turns into a lemon
a couple of days after the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee tends
to do that to one. (Technically it probably turned into a lemon BEFORE
the guarantee expiry, but my attempting to rectify the problem over the
last few days carried it beyond the guarantee period. I'm stupid like
that ... and will assume that the problem is software until otherwise
proven wrong.) I've had a few lemons from Apple before (I've been
religiously buying Apple hardware since the early 1980's) but they
either died prior to the expiry of the guarantee, or long long
afterwards - which I accept.
Nobody expects hardware to last forever, and I have a record of
discarding defunct Apple product after it fails after a reasonable
time. I tend to update product on a regular (usually bi-annual) basis,
and buy lots of content and other product at the iTunes Store.
Now I accept that technically the guarantee has expired (even though
residual obligations under the Australian Sale of Goods Act and the
like may still be in effect) and that Apple is probably not responsible
for repairing or replacing the iPad ... but you can understand my
aggravation.
I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not offer
to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm not even
going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.
I was looking at replacing this iPad with the iPad 3 when it comes out,
but now have to consider a Pad replacement way earlier than planned.
Now, what I want is some sort of reassurance that if I buy an iPad 2 it
is not going to fail a few days after the Apple guarantee expires like
its predecessor. I'm not interested in AppleCare (every time I've done
so in the past the hardware proved annoyingly reliable) and that adds
about 13-18% to the cost of a new iPad, and now that I'm retired (and
have been for the last 4 years) money is tighter than in the past. But
it's not too much to expect that I'm gonna get a couple of years use
out of a product before it fails, is it? I mean that's why I tend to
replace hardware every two years (Macs, iPhones, iPods, iPads etc).
Now, if I can't count on that two year period any more then it behoves
me to reconsider Apple as a supplier of hardware ... because one of the
main reasons for buying Apple for me is hardware reliability and
Apple's reputation for standing behind product. If that has gone out
the door, I would have to reconsider my purchasing intentions. The way
their Support is set up nowadays, you really have to worry about their
customer commitment. In the Good Old Days you could contact them for
product support for gratis years after purchase ... nowadays it expires
with the guarantee.
So, if I elect to buy the iPad 2 what are the statistical chances that
the hardware will still be in good operating condition and without
fault in 2 years time when I would be looking at replacing it anyway.
I require some sort of answer to this question before I make my
decision. If I can't rely on at least 2 years reliability, then an
alternative to the iPad is definitely on the cards. As is my future
Apple purchasing behaviour ... Times are tough, and if Apple can't
stand behind it's hardware's reliability then I'll look for more
reliable or cheaper product.
So, how reliable is the iPad 2 in other user's experience? What sort of
failure rate does it have?

Tom Harrington

Oct 27, 2011, 6:04:09 PM10/27/11
In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not offer
> to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm not even
> going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.

That may well be true, but if it were me I'd still take it to an Apple
store and see if the tech support crew there could do anything to get
the device working again. If you're anywhere near an Apple store, give
it a try.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002

Douglas C. Neidermeyer

Oct 27, 2011, 6:06:18 PM10/27/11
If you live near an Apple store, take it by. Be nice, don't whine, and
they'll probably fix you up.

If no store is near, call them up with the same mindset. If you don't
get satisfaction with the CSR that takes your call, ask to escalate it
to the next level. If necessary, repeat process until you get to Tim
Cook. But remember to be nice and don't whine...

--
Just tell me, mister, what fraternity would pledge a man like you?

Tim McNamara

Oct 27, 2011, 6:51:59 PM10/27/11
In article <tph-2B0B35.16040827102011@localhost>,
Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not
> > offer to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that
> > I'm not even going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.
>
> That may well be true, but if it were me I'd still take it to an
> Apple store and see if the tech support crew there could do anything
> to get the device working again. If you're anywhere near an Apple
> store, give it a try.

I'd concur with this. I have found the Genius Bar folks to be very
accommodating. And even if it has to be repaired and you pay out of
pocket the price may not be that bad. My guess is that a flash memory
chip has gone bad.

--
Your time is limited. Don't waste it living someone else's life.

Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Zen

Oct 27, 2011, 8:16:02 PM10/27/11
Absolutely! When you have good solid hardware at hand, throwing it out
is the last thing to do. You must spend some more money to spend more
money at iTunes.

Otherwise, investors might run into problems and worries. Which
certainly nobody would want.

Frank O'Connor

Oct 27, 2011, 9:30:30 PM10/27/11
On 2011-10-27 22:06:18 +0000, Douglas C. Neidermeyer said:

> If you live near an Apple store, take it by. Be nice, don't whine, and
> they'll probably fix you up.

Woe is me, I'm retired and live by the beach … about 80 miles from the
nearest Apple Store and about 40 miles from the nearest Apple retailer.
It's a rough life … swimming, snorkelling, fishing, relaxing and
otherwise amusing myself every day … but I get by. :)

I do most of my business with Apple online … I order, they deliver, I
re-order in two years. Usually that works out for me … you don't get
any bargains, but its convenient. The support sucks though.

Their current support policies for remote users and clients (only on
the Web, only if you fall in their narrow entitlement periods, only if
you take out AppleCare otherwise) reflect the penny pinching that big
corporates have been dealing us over the last 20 years. You'd expect
with Apple's profit margins that they'd be pretty unrestricted with
support … but that's not the case anymore. Better to put the money in
their bank account and hold it against a rainy day. :)

Message has been deleted

Paul Sture

Oct 28, 2011, 9:39:11 AM10/28/11
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:33:24 -0700, Michael Vilain wrote:

> In article <2011102812303082514-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-10-27 22:06:18 +0000, Douglas C. Neidermeyer said:
>>
>> > If you live near an Apple store, take it by. Be nice, don't whine,
>> > and they'll probably fix you up.
>>

>> Woe is me, I'm retired and live by the beach Š about 80 miles from the
>> nearest Apple Store and about 40 miles from the nearest Apple retailer.
>> It's a rough life Š swimming, snorkelling, fishing, relaxing and
>> otherwise amusing myself every day Š but I get by. :)

<snip>

> Throw the current iPad into recycling after you've attempted to wipe it
> electronically and applied a sledgehammer to it.

He could also give it a prolonged immersion in sea water for good
measure ;-)

--
Paul Sture

Davoud

Oct 28, 2011, 10:31:12 AM10/28/11
Frank O'Connor wrote:
> It looks like my early model iPad has expired.

Apple Store > Genius Bar.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Message has been deleted

Jolly Roger

Oct 28, 2011, 9:44:26 PM10/28/11
In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not offer
> to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm not even
> going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.

Talk about shooting your own foot off... How silly.

JR

Jolly Roger

Oct 28, 2011, 9:51:26 PM10/28/11
In article <2011102812303082514-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 2011-10-27 22:06:18 +0000, Douglas C. Neidermeyer said:
>
> > If you live near an Apple store, take it by. Be nice, don't whine, and
> > they'll probably fix you up.
>

> Woe is me, I'm retired and live by the beach Š about 80 miles from the
> nearest Apple Store and about 40 miles from the nearest Apple retailer.
> It's a rough life Š swimming, snorkelling, fishing, relaxing and
> otherwise amusing myself every day Š but I get by. :)
>
> I do most of my business with Apple online Š I order, they deliver, I
> re-order in two years. Usually that works out for me Š you don't get
> any bargains, but its convenient. The support sucks though.
>
> Their current support policies for remote users and clients (only on
> the Web, only if you fall in their narrow entitlement periods, only if
> you take out AppleCare otherwise) reflect the penny pinching that big
> corporates have been dealing us over the last 20 years. You'd expect
> with Apple's profit margins that they'd be pretty unrestricted with
> support Š but that's not the case anymore. Better to put the money in
> their bank account and hold it against a rainy day. :)

You have a nasty attitude and outlook. What you get out of life is
likely directly proportionate.

Apple has been known to help those with such issues so close to warranty
expiration period when the person in question doesn't walk into the
store with such a nasty attitude and outlook.

Good luck with that.

Wes Groleau

Oct 28, 2011, 10:59:08 PM10/28/11
On 10-28-2011 09:39, Paul Sture wrote:
> He could also give it a prolonged immersion in sea water for good
> measure ;-)

See how far out to sea you can frisbee it, and leave it there.

--
Wes Groleau

There are two types of people in the world …
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1157

Frank O'Connor

Oct 30, 2011, 4:13:53 AM10/30/11
On 2011-10-29 01:44:26 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not offer
>> to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm not even
>> going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.
>
> Talk about shooting your own foot off... How silly.

Two utterly useless replies from Old Jolly which assumed I blamed Apple
for my predicament.

Lemons are a fact of life, Jolly … no point getting bitter about that.
You buy Apple, you buy Dell, you buy Lenovo, you buy HP or you get
someone to make up your hardware at the local store … and you get
lemons now and then. Hell, build it yourself and go even the remotest
bit cheapo on some card or component and the puppy will die on you.

And the $3000 machine will invariably and selflessly sacrifice itself
to protect the 20 cent fuse.

That's technology, Jolly old son … and there's no point bitching about it.

What miffed me was my luck … the hardware expiring a day or two after
the hardware guarantee expired. And that the day or two that would have
made the difference had been spent trying to fix it myself. What had me
confused was that like many many others I'd just updated to the latest
and greatest IOS and iTunes … which confused the issue making it look
like a software fault/bug. (Incidentally the software update to IOS 5
and iTunes 10.5 seems to have caused a lot of grief if the Apple forums
are any indication.)

What I said I'd really like is some diagnostic software from Apple that
could be installed on their devices, or capabilities to do same in some
Mac based software … but there isn't any. What I said was that it would
be tres cool if Apple Support extended beyond the paltry one year
guarantee that they offer … they had no problem doing that in the good
old days.

As for seeing if Apple would repair it … I'm in my 60's Mr Roger, and
simply don't have the inclination to traipse around Melbourne looking
for a damn Apple Store which may or may not have a 'genius' who is not
gonna play it to the script. I tend to avoid Apple Store's like the
plague and patronise those stores that have been dealing with Apple
product in the 20-30 years before some PR suit got the idea of staffing
glossy retail outlets with 'geniuses' who may or may not know something
about the product they sell.

So, go Roger someone who cares Jolly old son … :)

Jolly Roger

Oct 30, 2011, 9:28:50 AM10/30/11
In article <2011103019135377856-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 2011-10-29 01:44:26 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>
> > In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> > Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not offer
> >> to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm not even
> >> going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.
> >
> > Talk about shooting your own foot off... How silly.
>
> [a bunch of bull-headed nonsensical talk about how it isn't worth his
> time to walk into an Apple store]

Nothing has changed. My previous statement stands.
Message has been deleted

Wes Groleau

Oct 30, 2011, 12:38:02 PM10/30/11
On 10-30-2011 04:13, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> As for seeing if Apple would repair it … I'm in my 60's Mr Roger, and
> simply don't have the inclination to traipse around Melbourne looking
> for a damn Apple Store which may or may not have a 'genius' who is not
> gonna play it to the script. I tend to avoid Apple Store's like the

Whoop-ti-doo, I'm sixty, too.

I don't have the inclination to traipse around any place looking for
anything when the address and a map can be found in less than a minute
online.

And since I don't drive anymore, I don't have the inclination to
pedal very far unless it's worth it. When there's a ten percent
chance of getting expensive hardware repaired for no extra charge,
it's worth it.

So, you're not blaming Apple, you're blaming yourself for your own
(IMHO) foolish decision.
Message has been deleted

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 1:25:59 PM10/30/11

"Jolly Roger" wrote in message

In article <2011103019135377856-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 2011-10-29 01:44:26 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>
> > In article <2011102808322650106-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> > Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm guessing Apple would stick to the letter of the law and not
> >> offer
> >> to repair/replace the iPad. In fact I'm so certain of that I'm
> >> not even
> >> going to waste my time trying to get them to do it.
> >
> > Talk about shooting your own foot off... How silly.
>
> [a bunch of bull-headed nonsensical talk about how it isn't worth
> his
> time to walk into an Apple store]

>Nothing has changed. My previous statement stands.

But of course. It's to be expected from a horses ass.

Message has been deleted

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 1:26:59 PM10/30/11

"Michelle Steiner" wrote in message

In article <jollyroger-5CC75...@news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > Talk about shooting your own foot off... How silly.
> >
> > [a bunch of bull-headed nonsensical talk about how it isn't worth
> > his
> > time to walk into an Apple store]
>
> Nothing has changed. My previous statement stands.

>Seems to me that he'd rather play the victim than do anything to get
>things
>made right.

But of course. We aren't allowed to complain about Apple in any way.

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 1:28:05 PM10/30/11

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message news:j8juhb$tfb$1...@dont-email.me...

On 10-30-2011 04:13, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> As for seeing if Apple would repair it … I'm in my 60's Mr Roger,
> and
> simply don't have the inclination to traipse around Melbourne
> looking
> for a damn Apple Store which may or may not have a 'genius' who is
> not
> gonna play it to the script. I tend to avoid Apple Store's like the

>Whoop-ti-doo, I'm sixty, too.

Good - you should be near death - thank God.

Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

Oct 30, 2011, 2:31:15 PM10/30/11
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> writes:

> In article <2011103019135377856-francisoconnor3@bigpondcom>,
> So 'let me be perfectly clear', you have a broken iPad you _might_ be
> able to convince Apple to fix if you had the 'inclination' to traispe
> down to Melbourne to fix it.
>
> Sound like you're optin to just vent and not replace this thing. OK
> then.
>
> Thank you for sharing.

And don't bother calling the nearest Apple Store to find out how
likely they are to take a look for free at your iPad that is just out
of warranty. That would be too easy.

Martin

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 3:40:37 PM10/30/11

In article
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> > > [a bunch of bull-headed nonsensical talk about how it isn't
> > > worth his
> > > time to walk into an Apple store]
> >
> > Nothing has changed. My previous statement stands.
>
> Seems to me that he'd rather play the victim than do anything to get
> things
> made right.

>Yep. We can all applaud, he can sit down now having had his say, and
>we
>can move on to the next topic.

>IMO, if you can't bothered to try and fix it, then you don't get to
>complain about it any more. But that's just me Mr. O'Connor. You
>wanna
>pull the 'I'm to old for this shit' card, fine. Now get off my lawn.

My goodness - quite the tight ass you are. And two posts showing how
affronted you are. My suggestion, get a life.

snip the oh so clever sig.

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 3:42:57 PM10/30/11

"Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu" wrote in message

> [...]

> > Apple
> > product in the 20-30 years before some PR suit got the idea of
> > staffing
> > glossy retail outlets with 'geniuses' who may or may not know
> > something
> > about the product they sell.
> >
> > So, go Roger someone who cares Jolly old son Š :)
>
> So 'let me be perfectly clear', you have a broken iPad you _might_
> be
> able to convince Apple to fix if you had the 'inclination' to
> traispe
> down to Melbourne to fix it.
>
> Sound like you're optin to just vent and not replace this thing. OK
> then.
>
> Thank you for sharing.

>And don't bother calling the nearest Apple Store to find out how
>likely they are to take a look for free at your iPad that is just out

Hmmmmm..... and another jerk weighs in showing how affronted he is.
Get a life, Freak. Bang yourself over the head with your POS iPad,
maybe you would feel better.

Redjak

Oct 30, 2011, 3:44:17 PM10/30/11

"Frank O'Connor" wrote in message

Bravo!! Your criticism of the iPad has brought out all the super
assholes from under their rocks. You have given meaning to their
nothing lives.

Thomas R. Kettler

Oct 30, 2011, 4:55:14 PM10/30/11
In article <j8juhb$tfb$1...@dont-email.me>,
Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 10-30-2011 04:13, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> > As for seeing if Apple would repair it … I'm in my 60's Mr Roger, and
> > simply don't have the inclination to traipse around Melbourne looking
> > for a damn Apple Store which may or may not have a 'genius' who is not
> > gonna play it to the script. I tend to avoid Apple Store's like the
>
> Whoop-ti-doo, I'm sixty, too.
>
> I don't have the inclination to traipse around any place looking for
> anything when the address and a map can be found in less than a minute
> online.
>
> And since I don't drive anymore, I don't have the inclination to
> pedal very far unless it's worth it. When there's a ten percent
> chance of getting expensive hardware repaired for no extra charge,
> it's worth it.
>
> So, you're not blaming Apple, you're blaming yourself for your own
> (IMHO) foolish decision.

It took me roughly 30 seconds on Apple's website to find two Apple
Stores in suburbs of Melbourne. They're located in Chadstone and
Cheltenham.

Apple Store, Chadstone
Chadstone Shopping Centre
1341 Dandenong Road
Chadstone VIC, 3148
(03) 9038 7500

Apple Store, Southland
Shop 2008-2010, Westfield Southland
1239 Nepean Highway
Cheltenham VIC, 3192
(03) 8523 1400

That said, I doubt he'll bother since he'd rather complain that get his
problem solved.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
Message has been deleted

Frank O'Connor

Nov 6, 2011, 3:29:53 AM11/6/11
On 2011-10-30 22:42:04 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

> In article <j8k1d1$gk7$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Redjak" <rjac...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>> Seems to me that he'd rather play the victim than do anything to get
>>> things made right.
>>
>> But of course. We aren't allowed to complain about Apple in any way.
>
> Sure, you're allowed to complain about Apple in any way you choose, but if
> your complaint is bullshit (as his is), we're allowed to call you on it.
>
> There's enough legitimate stuff to criticize, question, and complain about
> Apple without having the bullshit complaints as well.
>
> Curiously, Apple-haters like you seem to ignore the legitimate stuff, but
> relish in the bullshit.

So, 'Bullshit' is that the hardware fails a few days after the one year
guarantee expired. 'Bullshit' is that there's no utilities in any iPad
or Mac or iTunes package to determine the health of an iPad. 'Bullshit'
is that an abusive utterly unhlepful response was responded to with
another (not quite as abusive) response.

You certainly know how to make friends and incfluence people Michelle,
and live up to your reputation as an uncritical fangirl.

Apple hater? Despite being an Apple user since the late 70's, I'll take
more note of the critics from now on …. because the currenrt crop of
fanbois are similarly unhelpful … as useless as tits on a bull so to
speak.

Frank O'Connor

Nov 6, 2011, 3:33:44 AM11/6/11
On 2011-10-30 17:27:46 +0000, Michael Vilain said:

> In article <michelle-3671CE...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

>>> Nothing has changed. My previous statement stands.
>>
>> Seems to me that he'd rather play the victim than do anything to get things
>> made right.
>
> Yep. We can all applaud, he can sit down now having had his say, and we
> can move on to the next topic.
>
> IMO, if you can't bothered to try and fix it, then you don't get to
> complain about it any more. But that's just me Mr. O'Connor. You wanna
> pull the 'I'm to old for this shit' card, fine. Now get off my lawn.

Did try, Mick …

Couldn't be repaired … had to be replaced … at my cost.

Most all of the replies here failed to answer my intial question (How
reliable is the iPad 2?) but that seems to the par for the Apple
fanbois on USENET. As I said before … useless as tits on a bull.

Frank O'Connor

Nov 6, 2011, 3:53:27 AM11/6/11
On 2011-10-30 16:38:02 +0000, Wes Groleau said:

> On 10-30-2011 04:13, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>> As for seeing if Apple would repair it … I'm in my 60's Mr Roger, and
>> simply don't have the inclination to traipse around Melbourne looking
>> for a damn Apple Store which may or may not have a 'genius' who is not
>> gonna play it to the script. I tend to avoid Apple Store's like the
>
> Whoop-ti-doo, I'm sixty, too.
>
> I don't have the inclination to traipse around any place looking for
> anything when the address and a map can be found in less than a minute
> online.
>
> And since I don't drive anymore, I don't have the inclination to
> pedal very far unless it's worth it. When there's a ten percent
> chance of getting expensive hardware repaired for no extra charge,
> it's worth it.
>
> So, you're not blaming Apple, you're blaming yourself for your own
> (IMHO) foolish decision

Pretty much.

And cursing the bloody timing of the failure. :)

And trying to find out how reliable the iPad2 is … which none of the
more abusive in this thread seem to have picked up on (they seem to
have the collective attention span of a canary on cocaine).

Have since abandoned the idea of getting anything useful from this
thread, and bought the iPad 2 with AppleCare so that it fits into my 2
year hardware turnover. (That will probably fit into your definition of
another 'foolish decision' … but I do have an investment in Apps,
content and lifestyle) An extra $100, but it just wasn't worthwhile
waiting for anything of use to magically appear here.

I don't drive either … so going 125 kms into town (on two irregular
buses and a train which rarely connect cleanly) and coming back (on the
same two buses and a train) is an eight hour trip plus the time I spend
(probably unproductively) at the Apple Store. Simply not worth it to me
… gotta value your time - especially when I can spend it down at the
beach in the current run of warm weather we're getting.

Seems we have some attitudes in common … I do a cost-benefit on pretty
well everything nowadays, don't believe the PR and advertising, am
cynical as all hell about anything presented to me by self-interested
industry or their lobbyists, and have little or no time for ideology,
product loyalty or slogans. I continue to buy Apple because that's what
I've done for the last 30 odd years, and I've gto a significant
software investment in it, … not because I love the company. It's
simply less hassle than switching.

Used USENET a lot years back … it was a lot of fuss and bother then,
and seems it hasn't changed. More noise than useful information.

Frank O'Connor

Nov 6, 2011, 4:00:09 AM11/6/11
Thanks ...

It seems each and every one of them missed the question at the end of
my original post … but that's life on USENET I suppose. The noisiest
and most obscenely comitted to pointless causes rule.

Niels Jørgen Kruse

Nov 6, 2011, 4:32:14 AM11/6/11
Frank O'Connor <francis...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Have since abandoned the idea of getting anything useful from this
> thread, and bought the iPad 2 with AppleCare so that it fits into my 2
> year hardware turnover. (That will probably fit into your definition of
> another 'foolish decision' … but I do have an investment in Apps,
> content and lifestyle) An extra $100, but it just wasn't worthwhile
> waiting for anything of use to magically appear here.

You could try selling the old iPad on Ebay or such. Somebody else might
be able to resurrect it or use it for parts.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels Jørgen Kruse, Vanløse, Denmark

Wes Groleau

Nov 6, 2011, 3:11:23 PM11/6/11
On 11-06-2011 04:00, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> It seems each and every one of them missed the question at the end of my
> original post … but that's life on USENET I suppose. The noisiest and
> most obscenely comitted to pointless causes rule.

Yes, that's life on Usenet. However, in defense of at least some of us,
the question was preceded by five or six hundred words of what appears
like a complaint to anyone who's even 20% "fanboi"

One of the principles I learned as a technical writer is that you lose
some of your audience with every line. Even those that read to the end
may pay more attention to what came first.

--
Wes Groleau

First Language Acquisition observed up—close & personal
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1349

Wes Groleau

Nov 6, 2011, 3:16:28 PM11/6/11
On 11-06-2011 03:53, Frank O'Connor wrote:
> I don't drive either … so going 125 kms into town (on two irregular
> buses and a train which rarely connect cleanly) and coming back (on the

OK, I retract the "foolish decision" based on this new information.
However, _I_ still would have called the store to talk to them.

The nearest "official" Apple store to me is about two hundred
kilometers. BUT, there is an unofficial store here that probably
takes things there once in a while. And due to sales volume,
it's possible they might have a little more ability to persuade
Apple to give a little.