Tracking down "cannot find libjpeg support" error

Captain Nemo

Jul 19, 2008, 7:36:48 PM7/19/08
Hello All -

Newbie here.

The master mission is to follow the FreeBSD procedure at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/manual/index.html

(There isn't a Mac OS one)

and get to the refined HPLIP interfaces to HP printers.

In running this terminal command:
./configure --enable-network-build --disable-pp-build --enable-fax-build
--enable-dbus-build --enable-gui-build --enable-scan-build
--enable-doc-build --enable-foomatic-ppd-install
--disable-foomatic-drv-install --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP
--disable-hpijs-only-build --prefix=/usr

I get this error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Tracking that down I'm lead to (first Google hit):
"need to download the libjpeg62-dev package in Synaptic"

That lead me to these files:

libjpeg62-dev_6b-13_powerpc.deb
synaptic_0.57.11.1_powerpc.deb and/or
aptitude_0.4.4-4_powerpc.deb

and I don't have a clue now about what to do now. I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

...best, Capt N.
--
Scream and Shout and Jump for Joy! I was here before Kilroy!

Sorry to spoil our little joke. I was here but my computer broke.

...Kilroy

Tom Harrington

Jul 20, 2008, 5:03:19 PM7/20/08
In article <CaptainNemo-E638...@news.east.cox.net>,
Captain Nemo <Capta...@example.com> wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> Newbie here.
>
> The master mission is to follow the FreeBSD procedure at
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/manual/index.html
>
> (There isn't a Mac OS one)
>
> and get to the refined HPLIP interfaces to HP printers.
>
> In running this terminal command:
> ./configure --enable-network-build --disable-pp-build --enable-fax-build
> --enable-dbus-build --enable-gui-build --enable-scan-build
> --enable-doc-build --enable-foomatic-ppd-install
> --disable-foomatic-drv-install --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP
> --disable-hpijs-only-build --prefix=/usr
>
> I get this error: "cannot find libjpeg support"
>
> Tracking that down I'm lead to (first Google hit):
> "need to download the libjpeg62-dev package in Synaptic"
>
> That lead me to these files:
>
> libjpeg62-dev_6b-13_powerpc.deb
> synaptic_0.57.11.1_powerpc.deb and/or
> aptitude_0.4.4-4_powerpc.deb
>
> and I don't have a clue now about what to do now. I appreciate any help.

The ".deb" indicates that those are Debian package manager files,
probably not useful outside of Debian Linux. In fact synaptic and
aptitude are both tools for working with Debian packages, so I can't
imagine you actually need either.

You can get libjpeg for Mac OS X. Google's your friend here but I'd be
inclined to go with MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/> for installing
this kind of thing. They don't appear to have hplip, but they've got
libjpeg and probably will have any other dependencies you run into.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002

Captain Nemo

Jul 22, 2008, 7:46:53 PM7/22/08
In article <tph-06674D.15031820072008@localhost>,
Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> The ".deb" indicates that those are Debian package manager files,
> probably not useful outside of Debian Linux. In fact synaptic and
> aptitude are both tools for working with Debian packages, so I can't
> imagine you actually need either.
>
> You can get libjpeg for Mac OS X. Google's your friend here but I'd be
> inclined to go with MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/> for installing
> this kind of thing. They don't appear to have hplip, but they've got
> libjpeg and probably will have any other dependencies you run into.

Tom -

Thanks. Maybe chasing wild geese, but also maybe this weekend I'll have
a complied file. Been there, got it.