CDs that are readable by a Power Mac 7500

Jeffrey Rolland

Nov 7, 2005, 10:25:58 AM11/7/05
Hello, all!

I am looking to install Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 from ISO onto a Power Mac
7500, but there is just one problem: all of the writable CDs that I have
bought don't appear to be readable by my 7500!

Does anyone have any tips for buying CDs readable by my 7500, or better
yet, is anyone will to sell me some? You have to be sure that the 7500
can read them, preferrably.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<jrol...@softhome.net>

Garner Miller

Nov 7, 2005, 10:51:16 AM11/7/05
In article <jrolland-64491D...@blackhole.shreve.net>,
Jeffrey Rolland <jrol...@softhome.net> wrote:

> I am looking to install Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 from ISO onto a Power Mac
> 7500, but there is just one problem: all of the writable CDs that I have
> bought don't appear to be readable by my 7500!

CD-R discs are not as reflective as regular pressed CDs, and some older
drives can't read them well, or at all. CD-RW are *worse* in this
respect; they have very low reflectivity.

That said, some brands of CD-R discs are better than others in terms of
compatibility with old CD drives and audio CD players. In my
trial-and-error trying to do what you're doing (use a CD-R in an old
PowerMac), I found the Verbatin DataLife to be the most compatible with
older equipment. I found Maxell to be one of the worst.

I don't have any to sell, but if there's a CompUSA near you, I'm sure
they'll have some in stock. If you want, you can order them online for
$1 apiece, and shipping's around $5. Not a great price, but if you
only need a couple to try, it's an option.

Here's the item:
<http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50357469&
pfp=BROWSE>

Hope that helps.

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=

Jeffrey Rolland

Nov 7, 2005, 12:14:52 PM11/7/05
In article <071120051051169308%gar...@netstreet.net>,
Garner Miller <gar...@netstreet.net> wrote:

Garner,

It sure does.

I'll give Verbatin DataLife a whirl for $15. Hopefully, I can get the
Dog (YDL) up and running this weekend.