Question about using a Skype number and dialing 911

Mirsky

Mar 24, 2013, 10:17:19 PM3/24/13
Hi. I've decided I'm paying way too much for my landline number and I'm
considering switching to Skype.

However, if I use Skype, I can't dial 911 in an emergency. Does anyone
know if there is a way to have access to 911 through some other
provider, without paying for any other services?

Thanks.

Message has been deleted

nospam

Mar 24, 2013, 10:49:40 PM3/24/13
In article <2013032419171917460-notmyemail@invalidemailcom>, Mirsky
some voip services offer 911, or use any cellphone, even a deactivated
one.

Steve Crow

Mar 24, 2013, 11:00:51 PM3/24/13
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Mirsky wrote:
> --snip--
> However, if I use Skype, I can't dial 911 in an emergency. Does anyone know
> if there is a way to have access to 911 through some other provider, without
> paying for any other services?
> --snip--

Not 911, no... BUT you can find out the direct-dial 7-digit phone number
for your local Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). This is probably
listed in your local phone book as a "24-hour" phone number for the local
police, fire, rescue, etc. Save this in your contact list.

A few "gotchas" to doing this: This is only practical if you do not
travel with your Skype number, and the operator who answers will not have
access to your identifying information (name, location, etc) as they would
with a conventional 911 call.

If you are the only person using this Skype setup, and you only use it
from home, this can be a usable workaround.

Mirsky

Mar 24, 2013, 11:15:06 PM3/24/13
Thanks, everyone, for the speedy replies!

I do have a cell phone. I am home most of the time, so I don't use it
much. It's a cheap, prepaid cell phone. But I do have one.

I will also look into my local PSAP number.

Thanks again!

Message has been deleted