Eudora 1.5.1 Need Help: Error in settings file

Coco Ketron

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

I have Eudora 1.5.1 software that came with a Mac Internet Starter Kit.
Up until yesterday I have had no trouble. My computer, an LCII,
occassionally freezes up - as it did yesterday. I have to turn the whole
system off and then restart. Yesterday, after restarting, I tried to open
Eudora and received this message:
Eudora cannot continue. Error opening your settings file. -39 (12.599)

I cannot open and check the settings file without receiving the same
message. I'm no computer expert so any simple solution advice will be
appreciated tremendously.

I live in Austria so perhaps you can appreciate that my email connection
to family and friends back in the states is really important to me. As I
cannot pick up or receive anything via Eudora at the present, please
respond to me through this newsgroup. Thanks in advance.
Coco Ketron
ket...@ping.at

ASARI Hirotsugu

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

In article <ketron-0401...@dynamic-034.ts2.vienna.at.ping.net>,
ket...@ping.at (Coco Ketron) wrote:

Trash the Settings file that's in your Eudora Folder (which is in your
System Folder). If you have a backup (of the Settings file), try opening
it by double-clicking, else open Eudora and start over.

Vielen Grück!

--
,_____. ASARI Hirotsugu
) ( Graduate Student/Teaching Assistant
| * | 1409 West Green Street
\ | Urbana, IL 61801
\_ | Voice: +1.217.333.6329 Fax: +1.217.333.9576
) / http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~asari/
\_,/ Usual disclaimers apply.

Tony Valsamidis

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

ket...@ping.at (Coco Ketron) writes:

> I have Eudora 1.5.1 software that came with a Mac Internet Starter Kit.
> Up until yesterday I have had no trouble. My computer, an LCII,
> occassionally freezes up - as it did yesterday. I have to turn the whole
> system off and then restart. Yesterday, after restarting, I tried to open
> Eudora and received this message:
> Eudora cannot continue. Error opening your settings file. -39 (12.599)
>
> I cannot open and check the settings file without receiving the same
> message. I'm no computer expert so any simple solution advice will be
> appreciated tremendously.

I have just had exactly the same problem with a user's Eudora here. I
haven't got a solution to this but would be delighted to hear of one
also. What I did was this: I recreated the settings file in the System
Folder:Eudora Folder by removing the old one, restarting Eudora and
and reconfiguring it with all the appropriate settings. This enabled
me to work with all the folders except the In folder, which was huge
(>12M). I suspect there is some inconsistency between the "In" and the
"In.toc" files. The symptoms are that once the "In" folder is opened,
it is impossible to close it again without hanging the machine. Norton
then reports volume bitmap errors which have to be corrected. Does
anyone out there know of any tools which can be used to repair damaged
Eudora mail files?

--
Tony Valsamidis Email : to...@soi.city.ac.uk (MIME, PGP)
Technical Support Group URL:http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~tony

Alex Wake

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97
to Tony Valsamidis

Tony Valsamidis wrote:

> ket...@ping.at (Coco Ketron) writes:
>

> > I have Eudora 1.5.1 software that came with a Mac Internet Starter Kit.
> > Up until yesterday I have had no trouble. My computer, an LCII,
> > occassionally freezes up - as it did yesterday. I have to turn the whole
> > system off and then restart. Yesterday, after restarting, I tried to open
> > Eudora and received this message:
> > Eudora cannot continue. Error opening your settings file. -39 (12.599)

Snip

> --
> Tony Valsamidis Email : to...@soi.city.ac.uk (MIME, PGP)
> Technical Support Group URL:http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~tony
> School of Informatics Tel: +44 171 477 8729
> City University, London, UK, EC1V 0HB Fax: +44 171 477 8587

Open the Eudora Folder inside the system folder. Drag the settings file
to the trash. Restart Eudora. A new settings file will be created..
You now need to reset the settings.

Also, if you have a backup copy of your settings file, drag the active
one to the trash and replace it with the backup.

Good luck.

Rebuild your desktop frequently!!!
--
Alex Wake

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x Searching for ancestors, descendants, and family members x
x of WILLIAM WAKE, THADDEUS SCAVELLA, CHARLES ROBERTS, x
x ELSIE MCCLURE, JOHN BELFAST DAMES, and HENRY WOOD of the x
x Bahamas and other West Indian countries & the USA. x
x x
x A.W. Wake x
x P.O. Box 8304 x
x Los Angeles, CA 90008-8304 x
x (213) 293-8934 x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy Spalding

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

> Thank you to Tony for asking the question about Eudora settings and to
Alex and his prompt and accurate answer. I had the same problem occur,
without a freeze, and now it's fixed!
Craig Spalding

--
Craig Spalding