Shortcut to start Terminal?

Bob Ball

Jun 2, 2009, 10:40:21 PM6/2/09
A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:

With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
seemingly from the Finder.

Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
further on her own machine.

Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
obviously from the dock. Any other way?

And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
the console and the Terminal app?

--
Bob Ball
If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people.

Message has been deleted

Steve Hix

Jun 2, 2009, 11:29:29 PM6/2/09
In article <vilain-4DC3DA....@news.motzarella.org>,
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <bobball-25323A...@news.chartermi.net>,

> Bob Ball <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:
>
> > A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> > Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> > was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
> >
> > With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> > seemingly from the Finder.
> >
> > Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> > further on her own machine.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> > would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> > obviously from the dock. Any other way?
> >
> > And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> > the console and the Terminal app?
>

> The sales person probably had that customized via either a 3rd-party
> utility like Quickeys or wrote an AppleScript (exercise left for the
> reader) to open the Terminal and assigned a key to it (I still haven't
> worked out how that's done on my system without Quickeys).

From the Finder, type:

- Shift-command-U

- then "ter"

- then command-O

Up pops Terminal.app.

If you have an application in /Applications/Utilities/ that starts with
"ter" and something that precedes M in the alphabet, then that will come
up instead, but a standard install acts like this.

gtr

Jun 2, 2009, 11:31:41 PM6/2/09
On 2009-06-02 20:20:02 -0700, Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> said:

> The sales person probably had that customized via either a 3rd-party
> utility like Quickeys or wrote an AppleScript (exercise left for the
> reader) to open the Terminal and assigned a key to it (I still haven't
> worked out how that's done on my system without Quickeys).

Yeah. I have Quickeys and asigned it to a hotkey. I love Quickeys.
Quickeys loves me too.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

JF Mezei

Jun 2, 2009, 11:34:09 PM6/2/09
Bob Ball wrote:

> And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> the console and the Terminal app?

Console is an application that displays logfiles.

Terminal is an application that gives your a unix character cell (non
GUI) shell.

So they are quite different.

"Terminal" is just an application like any other .APP on the Mac's GUI
side of things. You can start it with the same methods as you would
start any other GUI application on the mac.

Ed Anson

Jun 2, 2009, 11:44:34 PM6/2/09

And if you have an alias in your main window, you can skip the first step.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Jun 2, 2009, 11:48:53 PM6/2/09
Bob Ball <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:

> A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
>
> With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> seemingly from the Finder.
>
> Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> further on her own machine.
>
> Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> obviously from the dock. Any other way?
>
> And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> the console and the Terminal app?

I use <http://visor.binaryage.com/> which "provides a systemwide
terminal window accessible via a hot-key ... much like the consoles
found in games, such as Quake". It's very handy and cool to use.

Patty Winter

Jun 2, 2009, 11:57:18 PM6/2/09

In article <001ee87a$0$29044$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

>"Terminal" is just an application like any other .APP on the Mac's GUI
>side of things. You can start it with the same methods as you would
>start any other GUI application on the mac.

I keep it in the Dock, and when I double-click on its icon,
a window opens with whatever I've set in Preferences. Usually,
it instantly presents me with a password prompt for my ISP.
Sometimes I set it to give me a shell prompt on my Mac. Easy
peasy.

Patty

Jeffrey Jones

Jun 3, 2009, 1:00:53 AM6/3/09

> A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
>
> With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> seemingly from the Finder.
>
> Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> further on her own machine.
>
> Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> obviously from the dock. Any other way?

Spotlight.
I open Terminal this way all the time: Command-Space te Return.

Spotlight (in Leopard) will put Application matches first, and I rarely
need to type beyond "te" in "terminal". Spotlight in Leopard is fast.

Message has been deleted

dorayme

Jun 3, 2009, 3:13:29 AM6/3/09
In article <sehix-415E2E....@news.speakeasy.net>,
Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> From the Finder, type:
>
> - Shift-command-U
>
> - then "ter"
>
> - then command-O
>
> Up pops Terminal.app.

Nice one Steve!

--
dorayme

dorayme

Jun 3, 2009, 3:23:43 AM6/3/09
In article <vilain-28DDFE....@news.motzarella.org>,
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <sehix-415E2E....@news.speakeasy.net>,
> Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>

> > From the Finder, type:
> >
> > - Shift-command-U
> >
> > - then "ter"
> >
> > - then command-O
> >

> This isn't the behavior the OP described,

Dear o dear o dear o dear, would anything be good enough for this
poster?

> ... The sales person pressed _a single key_ and the
> Terminal.app opened...
> Or did I read the OP's post incorrectly?

Who seems unwilling to even read the generously quoted text.

--
dorayme

Király

Jun 3, 2009, 3:44:32 AM6/3/09
Steve Hix <se...@nospamspeakeasy.netinvalid> wrote:
> From the Finder, type:
>
> - Shift-command-U
>
> - then "ter"
>
> - then command-O
>
> Up pops Terminal.app.

Spotlight is much easier and it doesn't require Finder to be in front.
Command-space, "ter", enter.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Warren Oates

Jun 3, 2009, 7:34:34 AM6/3/09
In article <4a25f49e$0$1588$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> I keep it in the Dock, and when I double-click on its icon,
> a window opens with whatever I've set in Preferences. Usually,
> it instantly presents me with a password prompt for my ISP.
> Sometimes I set it to give me a shell prompt on my Mac. Easy
> peasy

That would seem the easiest way. All this CMD-Shift-U stuff gives me a
headache. You don't even have to double click in the Dock, a single
click on the Terminal's icon will do. If you set your .bashrc up
properly, and (and .hushlogin) you'll get a nice quick clean terminal
with your prompt and cursor sitting there waiting your every command.

I use iTerm which I find far superior to Apple's app, if only because it
gives me a true full-screen console, which works very nicely with Spaces.

http://iterm.sourceforge.net/

As for the "console," or Console.app (I guess) that the OP asked about:
that's an app that shows you what's going on in your system. A lot of
Unix-ey types call the terminal "the console" and talk about "logging in
at the console" etc.; Apple use the word a bit differently.
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Jun 3, 2009, 7:54:05 AM6/3/09
Warren Oates wrote:

> I use iTerm which I find far superior to Apple's app, if only because it
> gives me a true full-screen console, which works very nicely with Spaces.

Now that you mention it I have terminal set to open when I log in, and go to
space number 2. I then open up two more tabs, one to ssh to this computer,
one to ssh to another server and one left on the Mac.

If you adjust the fonts properly, terminal fills the screen well enough,
and it works very well with as a terminal to a Linux system.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel g...@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM

Howard Brazee

Jun 3, 2009, 8:02:20 AM6/3/09
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:40:21 -0400, Bob Ball
<bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:

>With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
>seemingly from the Finder.

I usually type it in from spotlight - I am not a fan of spotlight and
wish Apple would improve it (on OS X and in iTunes), but it is a quick
way to get to Terminal.

- James Madison

Tim Streater

Jun 3, 2009, 8:00:47 AM6/3/09
In article <slrnh2cos...@cable.mendelson.com>,

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <g...@mendelson.com> wrote:

> Warren Oates wrote:
> >
> > I use iTerm which I find far superior to Apple's app, if only because it
> > gives me a true full-screen console, which works very nicely with Spaces.
>
> Now that you mention it I have terminal set to open when I log in, and go to
> space number 2. I then open up two more tabs, one to ssh to this computer,
> one to ssh to another server and one left on the Mac.
>
> If you adjust the fonts properly, terminal fills the screen well enough,
> and it works very well with as a terminal to a Linux system.

Not sure what you chaps mean by "full screen" or "filling the screen".
My two Terminal windows are 100x69 which seems perfectly adequate.
You're not running them 24x80 with giant type, are you ?

--
Tim

Jolly Roger

Jun 3, 2009, 8:30:20 AM6/3/09

> A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
>
> With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> seemingly from the Finder.
>
> Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> further on her own machine.
>
> Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> obviously from the dock. Any other way?
>
> And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> the console and the Terminal app?

As others have said, he probably used Spotlight (Command-Space, ter,
Enter). He could have used a third-party launcher utility such as
LaunchBar or QuickSilver to do it.

JR

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Jun 3, 2009, 8:44:05 AM6/3/09
Tim Streater wrote:
> Not sure what you chaps mean by "full screen" or "filling the screen".
> My two Terminal windows are 100x69 which seems perfectly adequate.
> You're not running them 24x80 with giant type, are you ?

Why not? Actually it's Monaco 14, which makes it just big enough for
me to easily read.

Matthew Lybanon

Jun 3, 2009, 9:44:43 AM6/3/09

> A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
>
> With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> seemingly from the Finder.
>
> Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> further on her own machine.
>
> Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> obviously from the dock. Any other way?
>
> And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> the console and the Terminal app?

Terminal (and also Console) is an application normally found in the
Utilities folder; I don't know if it would hurt to move it somewhere
else. You can start it the same way you start any application.

If it is something you plan to use all the time you could make it a
login item. The Accounts panel in System Preferences let you specify
what items start automatically when you log in.

Otherwise, you could go to the Utilities folder in Finder and
double-click on the icon for Terminal to start it. A useful trick (in
10.5) to get to popular applications more quickly is to create a folder
of aliases to those applications and add it to the dock as a stack.
Then two mouse clicks--one to open the stack and one to start the
application you choose--will launch the program. That could be a quick
way to bring up Terminal.

As other posters have pointed out, Terminal is an application that gives
the user a Unix shell (bash), while Console allows the user to view log
files.

sbt

Jun 3, 2009, 10:00:05 AM6/3/09
In article <jollyroger-4CAF0...@news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <bobball-25323A...@news.chartermi.net>,
> Bob Ball <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:
>
> > A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> > Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> > was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
> >
> > With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> > seemingly from the Finder.
> >
> > Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> > further on her own machine.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> > would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> > obviously from the dock. Any other way?
> >
> > And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
> > the console and the Terminal app?
>
> As others have said, he probably used Spotlight (Command-Space, ter,
> Enter). He could have used a third-party launcher utility such as
> LaunchBar or QuickSilver to do it.

Spotlight is most likely, but it can also be done via shift-cmd-u (Go
to Utilities folder) followed by "Ter" and a cmd-dnarrow or cmd-O.

--
Spenser

gtr

Jun 3, 2009, 10:14:26 AM6/3/09
On 2009-06-03 04:34:34 -0700, Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> said:

> That would seem the easiest way. All this CMD-Shift-U stuff gives me a
> headache.

Yeah. It's a mind-bender.

Patty Winter

Jun 3, 2009, 11:29:47 AM6/3/09

In article <001f5914$0$28907$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <4a25f49e$0$1588$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> I keep it in the Dock, and when I double-click on its icon,
>> a window opens with whatever I've set in Preferences.
>
>That would seem the easiest way. All this CMD-Shift-U stuff gives me a
>headache.

:-)

>You don't even have to double click in the Dock, a single
>click on the Terminal's icon will do.

Oops, you're right, Warren. Since I already had a Terminal window
open to my ISP when I typed that, I wasn't able to test it. But
I just logged off my connection, and it did indeed take only a
single click to bring up my login window.

I realize that some people prefer keyboard shortcuts, and I use
them for lots of things, too, but in my mind, a single click on
a Dock icon is hard to beat!

>If you set your .bashrc up
>properly, and (and .hushlogin) you'll get a nice quick clean terminal
>with your prompt and cursor sitting there waiting your every command.

I don't recall having to set anything up to get a login on my Mac.
I just chose the option "Execute the default login shell using
/usr/bin/login" from Terminal's Preferences window. A single click
on the Dock icon (or "New Shell" from Terminal's "File" menu), and
I get this:

Last login: Sun May 31 22:28:27 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Pattys-MacBook:~ patty$

As I mentioned, 99.99% of the time I want to log in to my ISP
account rather than my own Mac, so I usually keep Preferences
set to "Execute this command" with the path "ssh username@isp".
Then, as you pointed out, a single click on the Terminal icon
brings up the password prompt, and there I am.

Patty

AV3

Jun 3, 2009, 11:32:15 AM6/3/09
Warren Oates wrote:
> In article <4a25f49e$0$1588$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> As for the "console," or Console.app (I guess) that the OP asked about:
> that's an app that shows you what's going on in your system. A lot of
> Unix-ey types call the terminal "the console" and talk about "logging in
> at the console" etc.; Apple use the word a bit differently.

Am I mistaken about the terminology that you could boot up in "console
mode"? I realize the discussion so far concerned "console.app", but
"console mode" is term I remember from fsck-checks.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvi...@Wearthlink.net> ||

Dave Seaman

Jun 3, 2009, 11:43:16 AM6/3/09
On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:44:43 -0500, Matthew Lybanon wrote:
> In article <bobball-25323A...@news.chartermi.net>,
> Bob Ball <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:

>> A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
>> Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
>> was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
>>
>> With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
>> seemingly from the Finder.
>>
>> Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
>> further on her own machine.
>>
>> Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
>> would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
>> obviously from the dock. Any other way?
>>
>> And excuse this additional ignorance, but whqt's the difference between
>> the console and the Terminal app?

> Terminal (and also Console) is an application normally found in the
> Utilities folder; I don't know if it would hurt to move it somewhere
> else. You can start it the same way you start any application.

You don't want to move it elsewhere. That will cause Software Update not
to find it when updates are needed. Instead, place an alias wherever you
want it.

--
Dave Seaman
Third Circuit ignores precedent in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

Nick Naym

Jun 3, 2009, 11:49:37 AM6/3/09
In article 030620090700053953%dogb...@chaseabone.com.invalid, sbt at
dogb...@chaseabone.com.invalid wrote on 6/3/09 10:00 AM:

If it was a Mac salesman at an Apple Store, I seriously doubt that he'd take
the time to navigate to the Finder and then hit cmd-shift-u (too much work,
too much thought -- "Oh, Terminal's in the Utilities folder...unless the
last salesperson who demoed this machine moved the damn thing to the
Applicatons folder...hmmm"), and there's no way in hell he (or another Apple
employeee) would've installed a 3rd-party app on a Store machine. The most
logical way an Apple-trained employee would've opened it would be (IMHO) via
Spotlight (easy, accessible, and it requires no thought).

--
iMac (24", 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD) � OS X (10.5.6)

Bob Ball

Jun 3, 2009, 12:00:48 PM6/3/09
Thanks to all who answered for an informative thread. I learned a lot,
and it seems some of the posters did as well.

I couldn't tell from the neighbor's description whether the salesperson
used a keystroke or a few keystrokes, and I didn't quiz her before I
posted.

But I'll save the thread and email it to her. Again, thanks to all.

--
Bob Ball
If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people.
If you want to email me, eliminate the negative.

Mike Rosenberg

Jun 3, 2009, 12:17:17 PM6/3/09
Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com> wrote:

> If it was a Mac salesman at an Apple Store, I seriously doubt that he'd take
> the time to navigate to the Finder and then hit cmd-shift-u (too much work,
> too much thought -- "Oh, Terminal's in the Utilities folder...

"Take the time to navigate to the Finder"? What time does it take to get
to the Finder? What's the need to "navigate"? Click on the desktop and
you're "in" the Finder, and he may not have even had to do that much
since there's a good chance it was "in" the Finder in the first place.

And why would there be much thought involved in going to the Utilities
folder for someone who's accustomed to doing it? I didn't know the
keystrokes offhand, but someone who's used to using them would.

> The most logical way an Apple-trained employee would've opened it would be
> (IMHO) via Spotlight (easy, accessible, and it requires no thought).

That's easiest and most logical for _you_ because that's the way _you_
would do it. For someone who would do it the other way that's been
suggested, that's the easiest and most logical. The very fact that
several people have thought to do it that way in itself indicates that
people _do_ think to do it that way.

--
Tribute to Humphrey Bogart <http://bogart-tribute.net>

Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi>
Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi>

Warren Oates

Jun 3, 2009, 12:33:05 PM6/3/09
In article <4a2696eb$0$1592$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> I don't recall having to set anything up to get a login on my Mac.
> I just chose the option "Execute the default login shell using
> /usr/bin/login" from Terminal's Preferences window. A single click
> on the Dock icon (or "New Shell" from Terminal's "File" menu), and
> I get this:
>
> Last login: Sun May 31 22:28:27 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> Pattys-MacBook:~ patty$

You don't have to do anything unless you want to customize your login a
bit. So instead of

Warren's Mac Pro:~ warren$

it just has

[~]$

and shows my path when I'm moving around. You do this by customizing the
PS shell variable. My remote hosts are set to display the host's name as
well, so I don't get overly confused.

If you put an empty file called .hushlogin in your home directory, it
won't display the "Last Login" and welcome message.

Nick Naym

Jun 3, 2009, 12:52:34 PM6/3/09
In article 1j0qhrm.sd6tempmre68N%mike...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com, Mike
Rosenberg at mike...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com wrote on 6/3/09 12:17 PM:

> Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If it was a Mac salesman at an Apple Store, I seriously doubt that he'd take
>> the time to navigate to the Finder and then hit cmd-shift-u (too much work,
>> too much thought -- "Oh, Terminal's in the Utilities folder...
>
> "Take the time to navigate to the Finder"? What time does it take to get
> to the Finder? What's the need to "navigate"? Click on the desktop and
> you're "in" the Finder,

If you can even see the desktop...otherwise, you'll need to "navigate" (as
minimal as the effort might be, it's still extra steps).

> and he may not have even had to do that much
> since there's a good chance it was "in" the Finder in the first place.

Yes, it's possible. But it seems to me that a "universal" way of doing
something might be a tool that a lot of folks would tend to get into the
habit of reaching for first.

> And why would there be much thought involved in going to the Utilities
> folder for someone who's accustomed to doing it? I didn't know the
> keystrokes offhand, but someone who's used to using them would.
>
>> The most logical way an Apple-trained employee would've opened it would be
>> (IMHO) via Spotlight (easy, accessible, and it requires no thought).
>
> That's easiest and most logical for _you_ because that's the way _you_
> would do it. For someone who would do it the other way that's been
> suggested, that's the easiest and most logical. The very fact that
> several people have thought to do it that way in itself indicates that
> people _do_ think to do it that way.

Geez, Mike, of course! There are many ways to skin a cat. One of Mac's
attractions always has been the myriad of ways most things can be done. I
didn't make an absolute statement. I only said that it was my _opinion_ (as
in "IMO") -- and I offered my reasons for that opinion. (FWIW, I don't
personally use Spotlight as a launcher, so it's NOT my first choice -- it's
not the way that _I_ normally "would do it.")

Steve Hix

Jun 3, 2009, 2:11:05 PM6/3/09
In article <ARpVl.29170$Db2.27183@edtnps83>,
m...@home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly) wrote:

> Steve Hix <se...@nospamspeakeasy.netinvalid> wrote:
> > From the Finder, type:
> >
> > - Shift-command-U
> >
> > - then "ter"
> >
> > - then command-O
> >
> > Up pops Terminal.app.
>
> Spotlight is much easier and it doesn't require Finder to be in front.
> Command-space, "ter", enter.

Yep, that would work, too. I think I used the other way because I've
been doing since before I noticed the Spotlight cmd-shift invocation.

Patty Winter

Jun 3, 2009, 2:25:35 PM6/3/09

In article <006f244d$0$6455$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <4a2696eb$0$1592$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't recall having to set anything up to get a login on my Mac.
>
>You don't have to do anything unless you want to customize your login a
>bit. So instead of
>
>Warren's Mac Pro:~ warren$
>
>it just has
>
>[~]$

Oh, okay, that's what you meant by setting it up. I've done that
on my shell account on my ISP, but I log in to my Mac's shell so
rarely that I've never felt the need to customize my login.

I did, however, customize the greeting on my new Blaupunkt as
soon as it was installed. :-)

>If you put an empty file called .hushlogin in your home directory, it
>won't display the "Last Login" and welcome message.

True. But then it wouldn't say hello to me. :-)

Of course, the big problem with shell logins on the Mac is that
there's no "fortune" option. ;-) At least, not on 10.2.8; I haven't
checked later versions. (Yes, I'm sure I could install it; I don't
use the Mac shell enough to miss it. ;-))

Patty

Frédérique & Hervé Sainct

Jun 3, 2009, 2:27:08 PM6/3/09
Jeffrey Jones <ja...@aol.com> wrote:

> Spotlight.
> I open Terminal this way all the time: Command-Space te Return.
>
> Spotlight (in Leopard) will put Application matches first, and I rarely
> need to type beyond "te" in "terminal". Spotlight in Leopard is fast.

seconded.

and you can deal with all usual apps like this.

--
Fr�d�rique & Herv� Sainct, h.sa...@laposte.net [fr,es,en,it]
Fr�d�rique's initial is missing in front of the above address

JF Mezei

Jun 3, 2009, 4:51:03 PM6/3/09
AV3 wrote:

> Am I mistaken about the terminology that you could boot up in "console
> mode"? I realize the discussion so far concerned "console.app", but
> "console mode" is term I remember from fsck-checks.

In a system level terminology, the "console" is the input/output device
which is mapped by the system's firmware and is used for the early
stages of booting.

For instance, on an old VAX, you would have a dedicated serial port to
which you would attach a VT220 terminal and you could type commands when
talking to the firmware.

On a VMS workstation, you would have the graphics display/keyboard act
as the console with primitive display capabilities supported by the
hardware. As you booted, you could see the various text messages sent by
the booting scripts. And once X-windows started, it would take over the
display/keyboard (and the mouse) to turn the character cell console into
a GUI system.

The Mac is no different from that, except that it, by defaults, puts up
a grey screen with the Mac icon instead of showing you the text output
from the early statges of booting. (cmd-V avoids this and you get to see
it).

Message has been deleted

Warren Oates

Jun 3, 2009, 5:50:35 PM6/3/09
In article <4a26c01f$0$1605$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> Of course, the big problem with shell logins on the Mac is that
> there's no "fortune" option. ;-) At least, not on 10.2.8; I haven't
> checked later versions. (Yes, I'm sure I could install it; I don't
> use the Mac shell enough to miss it. ;-))

There's this,

http://www.vushta.com/fortune/

It defaults to /usr/bin and /usr/share. If you want it elsewhere, you
have to edit both the Makefile _and_ fortune.c because the bozo has
hard-coded his directory in there. It works okay though.

Calum

Jun 3, 2009, 6:43:53 PM6/3/09
Patty Winter wrote:

> I keep it in the Dock, and when I double-click on its icon,
> a window opens with whatever I've set in Preferences.

You do know you don't have to *double*-click icons in the dock, right...?

P. Sture

Jun 6, 2009, 9:45:57 PM6/6/09
In article <lfpc25hm246ikkriv...@4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:40:21 -0400, Bob Ball
> <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:
>
> >With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> >seemingly from the Finder.
>
> I usually type it in from spotlight - I am not a fan of spotlight and
> wish Apple would improve it (on OS X and in iTunes), but it is a quick
> way to get to Terminal.

Since I normally run with several Terminal sessions, it sits in the Dock
for me. That's been somewhat redundant ever since I put it in Startup
items, but still has its uses.

I have the Utilities folder in the Finder sidebar too.

--
Paul Sture

P. Sture

Jun 6, 2009, 9:51:55 PM6/6/09
In article <030620090100539422%ja...@aol.com>,
Jeffrey Jones <ja...@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <bobball-25323A...@news.chartermi.net>, Bob Ball
> <bob...@chartermi.nope.net> wrote:
>
> > A neighbor, a Mac user and former Unix programmer, tells me she bought a
> > Mac in part because of the Unix underpinnings, and tonight told me she
> > was impressed when she asked the salesman about using Unix on the Mac:
> >

> > With a couple of keystrokes, she told me, he brought up Terminal,
> > seemingly from the Finder.
> >

> > Despite her background, she apparently hasn't explored the subject
> > further on her own machine.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what she saw? I gather that some simple script
> > would do it, or that Terminal could be launched during log-in, or
> > obviously from the dock. Any other way?
>

> Spotlight.
> I open Terminal this way all the time: Command-Space te Return.

Ah, I fell out with Spotlight several years ago. For that long lost file
it would typically display the filename and then carry on working, only
to remove said file from its list. I use Matt Neuburg's NotLight, and
that works fine for me.

I also use Command-Space for switching the keyboard language. Some
applications, Audacity for one, only work with the US keyboard layout.

> Spotlight (in Leopard) will put Application matches first, and I rarely
> need to type beyond "te" in "terminal". Spotlight in Leopard is fast.

I'll revisit it when I upgrade to Leopard.

--
Paul Sture

Barry Margolin

Jun 6, 2009, 11:59:39 PM6/6/09
In article <paul.sture.nospam-6...@mac.sture.ch>,
"P. Sture" <paul.stu...@hispeed.ch> wrote:

I mainly use Terminal to ssh to servers on my company's network (I do
all my local shell work in an Emacs shell buffer), so I have a bunch of
AppleScripts that open a Terminal window and run different ssh commands
(including a generic one that gets the server IP from the clipboard). I
put them in ~/Library/Scripts, so they're accessible from the Scripts
menu.

I recently discovered Fast Scripts, which replaces the Scripts menu and
also allows you to assign hot keys to scripts. So now I can do it with
one keystroke.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Otto van Verseveld

Jun 7, 2009, 8:33:44 AM6/7/09
Bob Ball wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered for an informative thread. I learned a lot,
> and it seems some of the posters did as well.
>
> I couldn't tell from the neighbor's description whether the salesperson
> used a keystroke or a few keystrokes, and I didn't quiz her before I
> posted.
>
> But I'll save the thread and email it to her. Again, thanks to all.

The openterminal.app, which can be found at:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23173
http://homepage.mac.com/thomasw/OpenTerminal/
does its job for me very well.

I use the Finder a lot to navigate to specific folders, and from
thereon I do things in the terminal window. By means of the openterminal
icon I added to the Finders toolbar, I can instantly navigate to the
specific directory and do my commandline things.