straighten PDF pages

Mathias Kőrber

Oct 18, 2012, 8:40:50 AM10/18/12
I have a few files that were scanned to PDF and are not really straight.

Is there an easy tool (Mountain Lion) that can be used to fine-rotate
such pages?

Paul Sture

Oct 18, 2012, 9:11:24 AM10/18/12
In article <aeabmi...@mid.individual.net>,
iPhoto can do such rotation, but you might need to use Preview to save
the images into another format to do this.

--
Paul Sture

Wes Groleau

Oct 18, 2012, 8:33:33 PM10/18/12
GraphicConverter.

Open the PDF.

Menu: Picture->Rotate->Other value with line

Use the mouse to drag a line (click, move, release).

When you release, the image will rotate so that the line becomes
perfectly horizontal or vertical, whichever is closer.

There is a preference setting that controls whether the dimensions go in
(cutting off corners) or go out (making the new corners blank).

Save as PDF or any of MANY other formats.

--
Wes Groleau

Why does everyone call it a “fanny pack" ?
When was the last time you saw one on a fanny?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 19, 2012, 2:47:47 AM10/19/12
Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 10-18-2012 08:40, Mathias K?rber wrote:
> > I have a few files that were scanned to PDF and are not really straight.
> >
> > Is there an easy tool (Mountain Lion) that can be used to fine-rotate
> > such pages?
>
> GraphicConverter.
>
> Open the PDF.
>
> Menu: Picture->Rotate->Other value with line
>
> Use the mouse to drag a line (click, move, release).
>
> When you release, the image will rotate so that the line becomes
> perfectly horizontal or vertical, whichever is closer.
>
> There is a preference setting that controls whether the dimensions go in
> (cutting off corners) or go out (making the new corners blank).
>
> Save as PDF or any of MANY other formats.

Still the best shareware purchase I ever made, after MacSOUP. Really
every Mac user ought to have a copy of GraphicConverter, and if they
find they're using it often it's well worth buying to support, even if
you don't require the paid features.
Message has been deleted

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 19, 2012, 5:31:18 PM10/19/12
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <1ks89jk.kerp1rcqr7i4N%jam...@wizardling.geek.nz>
> There are paid features?
>
> I use Graphic Converter a couple of times a year, and have used it a few
> times a year since it came out. Not enough to feel the need to buy it,
> nor enough to be annoyed at the long shareware delay on launch.
>
> I've never noticed there were features that required buying it. Is this
> something new?

No, nothing new. It's been this way for at least the past 15 years I've
regularly used GraphicConverter. But said features are stuff like batch
processing which the very casual user may never require.

Still, if you've really been using GraphicConverter for 20 years (it's
age), maybe all those occasional uses over the years make at least one
purchase worthwhile to support ongoing development. At even only two
uses per year, that's 40 times it's helped you out and saved you having
to take the time to find or buy another tool :-)

Wes Groleau

Oct 19, 2012, 11:49:24 PM10/19/12
On 10-19-2012 02:47, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
>> GraphicConverter.

> Still the best shareware purchase I ever made, after MacSOUP. Really
> every Mac user ought to have a copy of GraphicConverter, and if they
> find they're using it often it's well worth buying to support, even if
> you don't require the paid features.

Indeed. And on Windows, Paint.Net There are a few things each can do
that the other can't but there are a heck of a lot of features that are
in both.

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Paul Sture

Oct 20, 2012, 11:17:59 AM10/20/12
In article <slrnk83874....@mbp55.local>,
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> There are paid features?
>
> I use Graphic Converter a couple of times a year, and have used it a few
> times a year since it came out. Not enough to feel the need to buy it,
> nor enough to be annoyed at the long shareware delay on launch.
>
> I've never noticed there were features that required buying it. Is this
> something new?

Batch processing is the one that comes to mind here.

--
Paul Sture

Erilar

Oct 20, 2012, 7:09:37 PM10/20/12
I've been using it for so long that I don't know how many versions I've
gone through, but it seems to me I didn't always have to pay for upgrades.
However, GC is one of the shining three software programs I use regularly
that has never thrown out a useful feature with an upgrade, unlike many WP
and all OS ”up”grades.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

gtr

Oct 20, 2012, 7:52:42 PM10/20/12
On 2012-10-19 00:33:33 +0000, Wes Groleau said:

> On 10-18-2012 08:40, Mathias Kőrber wrote:
>> I have a few files that were scanned to PDF and are not really straight.
>>
>> Is there an easy tool (Mountain Lion) that can be used to fine-rotate
>> such pages?
>
> GraphicConverter.

Me too, and I use it frequently for just that task.

gtr

Oct 20, 2012, 7:54:22 PM10/20/12
On 2012-10-20 23:09:37 +0000, Erilar said:

> I've been using it for so long that I don't know how many versions I've
> gone through, but it seems to me I didn't always have to pay for upgrades.
> However, GC is one of the shining three software programs I use regularly
> that has never thrown out a useful feature with an upgrade, unlike many WP
> and all OS ”up”grades.

I've been using it so long, practically since its inception, that
whenever I have to cough up some update/upgrade fee I wouldn't even
hesitate: I owe him.

Also great cserve.

PhillipJones

Oct 20, 2012, 9:39:18 PM10/20/12
Yes you occasionally have to pay for Upgrades. Updates never. Currently
I have 8.3 when the switch from 7 to 8 series I had to pay for upgrade
it wasn't much. But as many minor updates as the come out with You never
pay for the updates.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjon...@comcast.net

PhillipJones

Oct 20, 2012, 9:45:43 PM10/20/12
About the only company left that backs up their product. Often if you
find a bug report to him and he verifies a fix in, in usually 2-3 days
some problems might take longer.

One company that use to have as good a support was the makers of
Interarchy (use to be anarchie) but recent email to support have not
been returned. I'm wondering if they have gone out of business.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 20, 2012, 10:28:13 PM10/20/12
PhillipJones <pjon...@comcast.net> wrote:

> gtr wrote:
> > On 2012-10-20 23:09:37 +0000, Erilar said:
> >
> >> I've been using it for so long that I don't know how many versions I've
> >> gone through, but it seems to me I didn't always have to pay for
> >> upgrades.
> >> However, GC is one of the shining three software programs I use regularly
> >> that has never thrown out a useful feature with an upgrade, unlike
> >> many WP
> >> and all OS "up"grades.
> >
> > I've been using it so long, practically since its inception, that
> > whenever I have to cough up some update/upgrade fee I wouldn't even
> > hesitate: I owe him.
> >
> > Also great cserve.
> >
> About the only company left that backs up their product. Often if you
> find a bug report to him and he verifies a fix in, in usually 2-3 days
> some problems might take longer.
>
> One company that use to have as good a support was the makers of
> Interarchy (use to be anarchie) but recent email to support have not
> been returned. I'm wondering if they have gone out of business.

That would be a shame, still - they're not the original devs, IIRC.
Certainly not the original company. I fondly recall Stairways Software -
now that was a great Mac software company with excellent support. I miss
you Anarchie!

Speaking of such matters - it saddened me to discover last year the
developer of USB Overdrive seems to have dropped off the map. Thankfully
v10.4.8 still works for me as I'm still using OSX 10.6, because the
newer version of USBO is missing features, plagued by bugs and silence
on the dev's part :-(

I just wish I hadn't paid for the new version of USBO last year only to
immediately discover the dev is MIA, and has been for some time. Unless
this is the result of some tragedy, shareware authors ought to stop
sales of products with known serious issues, if they're unable to
continue support. Or at least make the lack of support and existing
known issues clear to any new customers as part of every new sale.

Anyway, getting back on track - I have to say Ambrosia Software has
always been good support-wise over their many years of operation. They
must've been going almost as long as GC's dev, now. *heads off to Google
this*

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oct 20, 2012, 10:28:14 PM10/20/12
The only time I absolutely _had_ to upgrade and pay was when I moved to
OSX, and the old pre-carbon version I'd owned in classic was left in the
dust. I suppose I'll have to again once I move to an OSX without carbon
support. As a result I've gotten remarkable value out of
GraphicConverter over the years! Only MacSOUP can go one better with one
registration working for every version from classic through to OSX.
Really I'm rather embarrassed at how little I've paid for both products,
when I stop to think about it. Hopefully my referring customers to both
products over the years has made up for that somewhat.

Erilar

Oct 21, 2012, 3:35:04 PM10/21/12
Oh, I pay for them, too. Well worth the price.
Message has been deleted

PhillipJones

Oct 22, 2012, 11:43:57 AM10/22/12
Lewis wrote:
> In message<k5vk48$cda$1...@news.albasani.net>
> PhillipJones<pjon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> One company that use to have as good a support was the makers of
>> Interarchy (use to be anarchie) but recent email to support have not
>> been returned. I'm wondering if they have gone out of business.
>
> Stairways sold Interarchy years ago, the new owners are no Peter Lewis.

I am referring to the new company Nolobe.

I've sent support questions to sup...@nolobe.com the current support
address I know of and I received no response. I recent 3 weeks later.
and no response I assume the company has gone belly up. They isn't any
thing new no indications if there will be an updated version of
Mountain Lion (OSX.8.2) no nothing.