There are 68 million more netbooks in use than iPads.

MuahMan

Aug 24, 2010, 7:01:11 PM8/24/10
But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
killed alright, but it's not the netbook.

Snit

Aug 24, 2010, 8:48:53 PM8/24/10
MuahMan stated in post
cc0d75a1-c7bb-46ed...@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com on 8/24/10
4:01 PM:

> But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
> million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
> killed alright, but it's not the netbook.

How many are selling now? I really do not know. And where do you get your
stats that 70 million are in use?

--
"YOU were the person claiming that the ~ told people to go to
HardDrive/users/username/ while I stated the ~ indicated the name of the

Alan Baker

Aug 24, 2010, 9:00:13 PM8/24/10
In article
<cc0d75a1-c7bb-46ed...@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmmm...

First of all, it was 3 million iPads before the end of June.

Second, at that time it had only been sale outside the US for less than
a month, and not all over the world; just Australia, Canada, France,
Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and UK.

So it's pretty clear that by now Apple has sold a lot more than 3
million iPads and it's not yet even available globally.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

MuahMan

Aug 24, 2010, 9:08:37 PM8/24/10
On Aug 24, 8:48 pm, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> MuahMan stated in post
> cc0d75a1-c7bb-46ed-a925-08aee5208...@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com on 8/24/10

Intel.

Shadrak

Aug 24, 2010, 9:10:47 PM8/24/10

"MuahMan" <mua...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
> million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
> killed alright, but it's not the netbook.

And this year is supposed to be a big netbook year. As they get to the
point of running a real OS and the prices keep dropping, the iPad will fade
away.

MuahMan

Aug 24, 2010, 9:10:54 PM8/24/10
On Aug 24, 9:00 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article
> <cc0d75a1-c7bb-46ed-a925-08aee5208...@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

>  MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
> > million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
> > killed alright, but it's not the netbook.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> First of all, it was 3 million iPads before the end of June.
>
> Second, at that time it had only been sale outside the US for less than
> a month, and not all over the world; just Australia, Canada, France,
> Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and UK.
>
> So it's pretty clear that by now Apple has sold a lot more than 3
> million iPads and it's not yet even available globally.

Ok for arguments sake, lets double it. Netbook Killer 6 million
Netbook 70 million

Yeah somethings getting killed and it's not the netbook.

Alan Baker

Aug 24, 2010, 9:21:35 PM8/24/10
In article
<1e31bf2d-81bf-4830...@a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:

In less than 5 months...

> Netbook 70 million

In about 2 years.

> Yeah somethings getting killed and it's not the netbook.

LOL

MuahMan

Aug 24, 2010, 9:30:03 PM8/24/10
On Aug 24, 9:21 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article
> <1e31bf2d-81bf-4830-809e-002b1f050...@a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

>  MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 24, 9:00 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <cc0d75a1-c7bb-46ed-a925-08aee5208...@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Hmmm...
>
> > > First of all, it was 3 million iPads before the end of June.
>
> > > Second, at that time it had only been sale outside the US for less than
> > > a month, and not all over the world; just Australia, Canada, France,
> > > Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and UK.
>
> > > So it's pretty clear that by now Apple has sold a lot more than 3
> > > million iPads and it's not yet even available globally.
>
> > Ok for arguments sake, lets double it.  Netbook Killer 6 million
>
> In less than 5 months...
>
> > Netbook 70 million
>
> In about 2 years.
>

> > Yeah somethings getting killed and it's not the netbook.
>
> LOL

Ok, for arguments sake lets quadruple the numbers. In 5 years.. 8
million iPads

70 million netbooks....

Something's getting killed and it's not the netbook.

Hell lets double it again. 16 million iPads.... in 2 years?

Assuming not a single netbooks sells ever again.... 70 million
netbooks.

Something's getting killed, and it's not the netbook.

Alan Baker

Aug 24, 2010, 10:06:40 PM8/24/10
In article
<e552e2a2-7a31-4c1c...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmmm... ...seems like your math has failed again.

If 6 million iPads have sold in 5 months, then 5 years of sales is about
72 million.

> 70 million netbooks....
>
> Something's getting killed and it's not the netbook.
>

> Hell lets double it again. 16 million iPads.... in 2 years?

Again, your arithmetic is terrible.

> Assuming not a single netbooks sells ever again.... 70 million
> netbooks.
>

> Something's getting killed, and it's not the netbook.

-hh

Aug 24, 2010, 11:00:52 PM8/24/10
Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
>  MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [etc]

> > Ok, for arguments sake lets quadruple the numbers. In 5 years.. 8
> > million iPads
>
> Hmmm... ...seems like your math has failed again.
>
> If 6 million iPads have sold in 5 months, then 5 years of sales is about
> 72 million.

Assuming no additional ramp-up in production.

> > Assuming not a single netbooks sells ever again.... 70 million
> > netbooks.
>
> > Something's getting killed, and it's not the netbook.
>
> LOL

You think that Muah hasn't read the news either?

Last Quarter:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/08/morgan.stanley.sees.ipad.already.slowing.netbooks/

"The iPad's sales rate is fast enough that it could grow faster in its
first year than netbooks, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty
estimated today. Having increased the expected iPad shipments in 2010
from 6 million to 10 million, Huberty estimates Apple could move 13
million to 16 million iPads in the tablet's first full year, or well
over the 7.6 million netbooks that sold in that category's first 12
months.

The researcher also updated previous netbook estimates and found that
the iPad had an even more destructive effect on netbook sales in the
US during April than previously thought. Apple's slate was originally
thought to have just flattened growth from year to year, but the
netbook market ultimately shrank 13 percent compared to April last
year."

Last Week:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/08/16/asus.drops.netbook.aims.after.ipad.impact/

"The iPad's cooling effect on netbooks may have had its first clear
evidence after an ASUS presentation at an investors' conference on
Friday. Despite summer being the usual peak for Eee PC sales, CEO
Jerry Shen dropped his company's netbook shipment estimates in the
season to 1.4 million PCs, reportedly due to Apple's tablet...Apple
has already outsold ASUS' combined spring and summer shipments with
3.27 million iPads having shipped worldwide. It's expected to only
grow that number in the summer as it still faces seven- to 10-day
shipping delays and retail shortages, even with increased production
and wider availability..."

Today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703846604575447531699309858.html

"Apple, which said it sold more than three million iPads through the
end of June, attributes some of the device's success to businesses.
The Cupertino, Calif., company's Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said
in July that "very surprisingly" half of the Fortune 100 are testing
or deploying iPads..."

-hh

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 24, 2010, 11:25:53 PM8/24/10

Being terminally stupid is really hard to do, but you are holding up
quite well with your condition.

--
Lloyd

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 24, 2010, 11:28:01 PM8/24/10
In article
<6a123b8c-deec-4cf2...@h19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:

They never said that.

--
Lloyd

Snit

Aug 24, 2010, 11:37:52 PM8/24/10
MuahMan stated in post
6a123b8c-deec-4cf2...@h19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com on 8/24/10
6:08 PM:

How many are selling now? And where does Intel say 70 million are in
current use?

Snit

Aug 24, 2010, 11:38:10 PM8/24/10
Lloyd Parsons stated in post
lloydparsons-564C...@port80.individual.net on 8/24/10 8:28 PM:

Hey, I am giving him a chance. Not that he will ever come through.

--
"A non-powered hub that will only support non-powered devices. IOW,
basically useless." -- Tim Adams

White Spirit

Aug 25, 2010, 8:01:42 AM8/25/10
On 25/08/2010 04:00, -hh wrote:

> You think that Muah hasn't read the news either?

> Last Quarter:

> http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/08/morgan.stanley.sees.ipad.already.slowing.netbooks/

> "The iPad's sales rate is fast enough that it could grow faster in its
> first year than netbooks, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty
> estimated today. Having increased the expected iPad shipments in 2010
> from 6 million to 10 million, Huberty estimates Apple could move 13
> million to 16 million iPads in the tablet's first full year, or well
> over the 7.6 million netbooks that sold in that category's first 12
> months.

This is really bad news for the consumer and the environment. Apple's
built-in obsolescence will mean that when they unveil the new iPad Plus
or whatever name their marketing department will arrive at, tens of
millions of fanboys will be stuck with old technology and the social
stigma that they associate with it such that they will feel compelled to
camp outside an Apple Store for several days in order to be part of the
latte-loving, slovenly and dishevelled in-crowd.

Perhaps on the way home they can stock up on Gillette cartridges for
their Fusion or M3, which will by that time be around £15 for six
cartridges containing barely sharp blades that go blunt as soon as they
air exposed to the air. Meanwhile, men who haven't become feminised by
our technological society will be using a proper safety razor for the
perfect shave before they even think about switching on their Linux box.

KDT

Aug 25, 2010, 8:10:40 AM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 8:01 am, White Spirit <wspi...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/08/2010 04:00, -hh wrote:
>
> > You think that Muah hasn't read the news either?
> > Last Quarter:
> >http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/08/morgan.stanley.sees.ipa...

> > "The iPad's sales rate is fast enough that it could grow faster in its
> > first year than netbooks, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty
> > estimated today. Having increased the expected iPad shipments in 2010
> > from 6 million to 10 million, Huberty estimates Apple could move 13
> > million to 16 million iPads in the tablet's first full year, or well
> > over the 7.6 million netbooks that sold in that category's first 12
> > months.
>
> This is really bad news for the consumer and the environment.  Apple's
> built-in obsolescence will mean that when they unveil the new iPad Plus
> or whatever name their marketing department will arrive at, tens of
> millions of fanboys will be stuck with old technology and the social
> stigma that they associate with it such that they will feel compelled to
> camp outside an Apple Store for several days in order to be part of the
> latte-loving, slovenly and dishevelled in-crowd.

You mean consumer electronics actually get faster and cheaper over
time?

White Spirit

Aug 25, 2010, 8:21:50 AM8/25/10

But you know that Fanboys won't be satisfied with what they felt was a
perfectly good iPad once Apple unveil the built-in camera that they
planned all along, or have the storage space that the iPad should have
had in the first place.

Anyway, there's no future in all this digital technology. Once I have
built my valve computer, I will be secure in the knowledge that if
nuclear war ever breaks out, I'll still be able to perform computations
while all your shiny metallic Apple goodies will be gathering
radioactive dust due to the electromagnetic pulse having damaged their
circuitry beyond repair.

Shadrak

Aug 25, 2010, 10:48:49 AM8/25/10

"White Spirit" <wsp...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 25/08/2010 13:10, KDT wrote:
>
>> On Aug 25, 8:01 am, White Spirit<wspi...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> This is really bad news for the consumer and the environment. Apple's
>>> built-in obsolescence will mean that when they unveil the new iPad Plus
>>> or whatever name their marketing department will arrive at, tens of
>>> millions of fanboys will be stuck with old technology and the social
>>> stigma that they associate with it such that they will feel compelled to
>>> camp outside an Apple Store for several days in order to be part of the
>>> latte-loving, slovenly and dishevelled in-crowd.
>
>> You mean consumer electronics actually get faster and cheaper over
>> time?
>
> But you know that Fanboys won't be satisfied with what they felt was a
> perfectly good iPad once Apple unveil the built-in camera that they
> planned all along, or have the storage space that the iPad should have had
> in the first place.

You hit it on the head. Apple Planned Obsolence. Every six months in
Apples case. Look at all the recent PPC Macs that are now obsolete. Intel
pull the same shit with their chips - and there are always pleanty of
suckers to shear over and over and over..

-hh

Aug 25, 2010, 9:22:40 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 8:21 am, White Spirit <wspi...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/08/2010 13:10, KDT wrote:
>
> > On Aug 25, 8:01 am, White Spirit<wspi...@homechoice.co.uk>  wrote:
> >> This is really bad news for the consumer and the environment.  Apple's
> >> built-in obsolescence will mean that when they unveil the new iPad Plus
> >> or whatever name their marketing department will arrive at, tens of
> >> millions of fanboys will be stuck with old technology and the social
> >> stigma that they associate with it such that they will feel compelled to
> >> camp outside an Apple Store for several days in order to be part of the
> >> latte-loving, slovenly and dishevelled in-crowd.
> > You mean consumer electronics actually get faster and cheaper over
> > time?
>
> But you know that Fanboys won't be satisfied with what they felt was a
> perfectly good iPad once Apple unveil the built-in camera that they
> planned all along, or have the storage space that the iPad should have
> had in the first place.

For those people that feel compelled to have the latest ... be it a
computer, or the sharpest razor blade ... it simply incurs a cost to
stay the most up-to-date. However, there's still a good contingent of
PPC Mac users, and this hardware is all now more than four (4) years
old.

> Anyway, there's no future in all this digital technology.  Once I have
> built my valve computer, I will be secure in the knowledge that if
> nuclear war ever breaks out, I'll still be able to perform computations
> while all your shiny metallic Apple goodies will be gathering
> radioactive dust due to the electromagnetic pulse having damaged their
> circuitry beyond repair.

It seems that someone has already beaten you to the punch:

<http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ain30-desktop-
main_54.jpg>

Full article here:
<http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/04/victorian-all-in-one-steampunk-
pc/>
And FWIW, here's another in the same gendre:
<http://steampunkworkshop.com/lcd.shtml>

The Hetrodynes would be proud :--)

-hh

KDT

Aug 25, 2010, 11:26:47 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 10:48 am, "Shadrak" <shadr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "White Spirit" <wspi...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in message

Wow. Computers get faster and cheaper over time....news at 11.

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 7:44:58 AM8/26/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

So in your mind "over time" means a few months? It's particularly bad with
Macs since they are outdated already at purchase. iCores were available a
year ago from Dell, HP, etc., and Macs only got them recently.

Alan Baker

Aug 26, 2010, 11:50:16 AM8/26/10
In article <Xssdo.415$IH1...@newsfe18.iad>,
"Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yes. "over time" does mean a few months.

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 1:48:46 PM8/26/10

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

In the mac world, yes.

I think it's a shame that macs are obsolete already at purchase. Thats why
PC's that are a few years old outperform new macs.

Alan Baker

Aug 26, 2010, 1:58:36 PM8/26/10
In article <ZNxdo.1428$rC7...@newsfe10.iad>,
"Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

LOL

Almost every PC is obsolete at purchase by that measure, zara.

KDT

Aug 26, 2010, 2:53:13 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 7:44 am, "Shadrak" <shadr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "KDT" <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

So other PC and consumer electronic manufacturers don't reduce prices/
increase specs every few months?

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 26, 2010, 3:25:05 PM8/26/10
In article <ZNxdo.1428$rC7...@newsfe10.iad>,
"Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ah the terminally stupid, ya gotta love 'em.

All PCs you can buy at retail are obsolete the very first day of sale.
The next design change is already at the other end of the production
line.

--
Lloyd

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 3:50:52 PM8/26/10

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

What measure is that?

Every PC maker was supplying Core i processors a year before macs. Your zara
obsession is getting boring now.

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 3:55:11 PM8/26/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What? What the fuck are you talking about now? We are talking about
Planned Obsolesce. Try to keep on topic. All I know is, iCores were

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 5:01:13 PM8/26/10

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydp...@mac.com> wrote in message

And the macs for sale at the same time are a year behind that.

> The next design change is already at the other end of the production
> line.

If it's not in the marketplace, you can't make a stupid statement like that.
The fanboi fact twisters, so creative. But always wrong.

KDT

Aug 26, 2010, 5:20:52 PM8/26/10

If your definition of "planned obsolesce [sic]" is introducing
something cheaper/faster in a short period of time, welcome to the
world of consumer electronics for the past three+ decades.

John Slade

Aug 26, 2010, 5:49:41 PM8/26/10
On 8/24/2010 4:01 PM, MuahMan wrote:
> But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
> million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
> killed alright, but it's not the netbook.

Anyone who said that the iPad would kill the netbooks is
just as clueless as those saying that Apple is making big gains
in the enterprise market. The iPad is Apple's "netbook". It's a
tablet targeted at the netbook market. But it's underpowered and
way too expensive to really compete in the netbook market. The
iPad does well with the trendy, novelty mobile devices that can
do minor things well and major thinks OK. The netbook market
started out this way but newer netbooks are actually comparable
to lower and mid-range laptops in terms of performance. This is
why the netbook market will eventually merge with the
laptop/notebook market.

John

John Slade

Aug 26, 2010, 5:53:42 PM8/26/10

I seriously doubt they will sell that well. The iPad is
more a novelty mobile device that's targeted at the netbook
market. But the price is much to high for what you get in terms
of power.

John

KDT

Aug 26, 2010, 5:55:09 PM8/26/10

I guess the CEO of the company who sells the most netbooks is
"clueless"....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/asus-downgrades-eee-pc-shipment-forecast-blames-ipad/

Or as Michael Dell said

Most users aren't happy with Netbooks after 36 hours.....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/michael_dell_churchill_club_speech/

Snit

Aug 26, 2010, 6:49:33 PM8/26/10
John Slade stated in post UjBdo.23950$1v3....@newsfe20.iad on 8/26/10 2:49
PM:

> On 8/24/2010 4:01 PM, MuahMan wrote:
>> But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
>> million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
>> killed alright, but it's not the netbook.
>
> Anyone who said that the iPad would kill the netbooks

Who said that? It will help push the small form factor forward, as it is
already doing, but kill all competition... no. That is just silly.

> is just as clueless as those saying that Apple is making big gains in the
> enterprise market. The iPad is Apple's "netbook". It's a tablet targeted at
> the netbook market. But it's underpowered and way too expensive to really
> compete in the netbook market.

Ah, that explains why it is doing so well. Got it. Wait....

> The iPad does well with the trendy, novelty mobile devices that can do minor
> things well and major thinks OK.

Those are the only ones buying it? Just people wanting trendy, novelty
devices.

You really are not keeping up with the tech news!

> The netbook market started out this way but
> newer netbooks are actually comparable to lower and mid-range laptops in terms
> of performance. This is why the netbook market will eventually merge with the
> laptop/notebook market.
>
> John

Snit

Aug 26, 2010, 6:50:15 PM8/26/10
John Slade stated in post EnBdo.23951$1v3....@newsfe20.iad on 8/26/10 2:53
PM:

>>> Ok, for arguments sake lets quadruple the numbers. In 5 years.. 8
>>> million iPads
>>
>> Hmmm... ...seems like your math has failed again.
>>
>> If 6 million iPads have sold in 5 months, then 5 years of sales is about
>> 72 million.
>
> I seriously doubt they will sell that well. The iPad is
> more a novelty mobile device that's targeted at the netbook
> market. But the price is much to high for what you get in terms
> of power.

You have no idea what power it allows consumers to have. You know - the
*real* power: what consumers can do with a device.

--
"Incest IS sex by the very definition of the words. Therefore they ARE
identical when presented in that order." -- Tim Adams

Snit

Aug 26, 2010, 7:20:48 PM8/26/10
KDT stated in post
9472a070-54b1-4b32...@l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com on 8/26/10
2:55 PM:

Slade does not get computers at all. He still looks at them as compilations
of stats.

Alan Baker

Aug 26, 2010, 8:15:13 PM8/26/10
In article <EnBdo.23951$1v3....@newsfe20.iad>,
John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Care to make a small wager?

You were probably saying the same thing about the iPhone...

...and about the iPod before that.

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 9:29:32 PM8/26/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

We are speaking about the way Apple promoted new mac sales by using planned
obsolesce.

IOW: Macs are obsolete right out of the box, and six months later Apple will
introduce a "new" obsolete model.

It's like OSX, an upgrade every six months that is still way behind Windows.
And will never catch up.

Shadrak

Aug 26, 2010, 9:32:40 PM8/26/10

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/asus-downgrades-eee-pc-shipment-forecast-blames-ipad/

He said that almost a year ago. According to you those products are
obsolete three times over.

KDT

Aug 26, 2010, 9:53:46 PM8/26/10

And other computer companies never release faster computers rapidly?

> IOW: Macs are obsolete right out of the box, and six months later Apple will
> introduce a "new" obsolete model.

And other computers companies won't release faster hardware within six
months?

> It's like OSX, an upgrade every six months that is still way behind Windows.
> And will never catch up.

The last release of OS X was August 2009.....

KDT

Aug 26, 2010, 9:54:58 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 9:32 pm, "Shadrak" <shadr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "KDT" <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 26, 5:49 pm, John Slade <hhitma...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

> > On 8/24/2010 4:01 PM, MuahMan wrote:
>
> > > But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
> > > million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
> > > killed alright, but it's not the netbook.
>
> > Anyone who said that the iPad would kill the netbooks is
> > just as clueless as those saying that Apple is making big gains
> > in the enterprise market. The iPad is Apple's "netbook". It's a
> > tablet targeted at the netbook market. But it's underpowered and
> > way too expensive to really compete in the netbook market. The
> > iPad does well with the trendy, novelty mobile devices that can
> > do minor things well and major thinks OK. The netbook market
> > started out this way but newer netbooks are actually comparable
> > to lower and mid-range laptops in terms of performance. This is
> > why the netbook market will eventually merge with the
> > laptop/notebook market.
>
> > John
>
> I guess the CEO of the company who sells the most netbooks is
> "clueless"....
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/asus-downgrades-eee-pc-shipment-fo...

> Or as Michael Dell said
>
> Most users aren't happy with Netbooks after 36 hours.....http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/michael_dell_churchill_club_s...

> He said that almost a year ago.  According to you those products are
> obsolete three times over.

So have "netbooks" all of the sudden come with bigger keyboards and
14-15" screens?

John Slade

Aug 26, 2010, 11:17:01 PM8/26/10
On 8/26/2010 5:15 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article<EnBdo.23951$1v3....@newsfe20.iad>,

Nope. I never said anything of the sort. What I did say in
the mid to late 90s was that Apple would start making clones and
that's exactly what they're doing now.

John

Alan Baker

Aug 27, 2010, 1:11:01 AM8/27/10
In article <M6Gdo.21265$st2....@newsfe09.iad>,
John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

LOL

I'd love to spend the time and see what you were saying about the iPhone
when it was first released...

Tim Adams

Aug 27, 2010, 4:55:11 AM8/27/10
In article <alangbaker-0AA56...@news.shawcable.com>,
Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

I love how john is fixated on Apple building 'clones', something it clearly is
NOT doing,since a clone would come with an MS os installed, not Mac OS X.

--
regarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 7:55:16 AM8/27/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes - but Macs are a year behind that.

> IOW: Macs are obsolete right out of the box, and six months later Apple
> will
> introduce a "new" obsolete model.

And other computers companies won't release faster hardware within six
months?

Yes - but Macs are a year behind that. We both know it. And your questions
will not change that fact.

> It's like OSX, an upgrade every six months that is still way behind
> Windows.
> And will never catch up.

The last release of OS X was August 2009.....

Correction. Falling behind Windows at an even more accelerated rate, without
a prayer of ever catching up. I don't understand it. Using OSX is like
shooting yourself in the foot and saying how good it felt.

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 8:01:59 AM8/27/10

"Tim Adams" <teadams$2$0$0$3...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Such a thin straw to pin your hopes on. Macs are PC's. Everyone but a few
shitheads like you know it.

From the sometimes Mac bible:

>snip the stupid, boring and obsessive shit.

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 8:05:41 AM8/27/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Those are called "laptops" or "notebooks".

But what has happened is bigger processors, real operating systems and
better graphics. Have you been off planet?

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 27, 2010, 8:31:18 AM8/27/10
In article
<teadams$2$0$0$3-96169C.04...@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
Tim Adams <teadams$2$0$0$3...@earthlink.net> wrote:

There are NO clones being built today. That stopped years ago.

--
Lloyd

KDT

Aug 27, 2010, 9:29:22 AM8/27/10

Well in that case, how is it relevant that what Michael Dell was a
year ago? Netbooks still have the cramped keyboards and 10" screens
that people are disappointed with "after 36 hours".

Snit

Aug 27, 2010, 9:33:09 AM8/27/10
Tim Adams stated in post
teadams$2$0$0$3-96169C.04...@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net on
8/27/10 1:55 AM:

> regarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
> you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting
> the newsgroup." Andrew J. Brehm

John Slade

Aug 27, 2010, 2:14:53 PM8/27/10

I've worked on home computers since the mid 80s and one
thing is for certain, the people in the industry say Macs are
clones. They may not use the actual term "clone", they may just
call them "PCs too" or whatever. What they choose to call them,
they run on Intel CPUs and chipsets with minor
modifications(like HP and Dell) to the CMOS, BIOS and/or EFI.
Basically all the technology in the Mac these days can be bought
off the shelf. The only real difference is that Apple, like
other clone makers, get the motherboards made in a certain shape
to fit a special case.

>> snip the stupid, boring and obsessive shit.

Good article. A while ago I was in a "discussion" with a
Mac user in the newsgroup, ba.internet. This guy is supposed to
be some sort of computer expert. He claimed that Macs aren't
clones because they had different "glue chips" and other things
that make Macs different than other clones. Well I proceeded to
show him that not only that Macs use the same "glue
chips"(chipsets) as other clones. In fact they use Intel
chipsets. I even showed this guy that Apple uses
over-the-counter memory and HDs but this guy would not budge. In
the end I showed him how OS X was full of security holes that
Apple patches on a regular basis. But this guy was suck a
Macfreak that he would not admit he was wrong, and even seemed
to blow a gasket. He then claimed that Mac Minis and iMacs have
eSATA ports that would make them great for professional servers.
I pointed out that they don't have eSATA ports and then he
unleashed personal attacks and made a complete fool of himself.
I remember this so well because I never seen anyone who was so
hellbent on being right, he couldn't admit on being wrong, which
he obviously was. If you want to read it one Google's archives
let me know and I'll dig up the name of the thread. But it
started out when we were talking about how OS X was hacked very
quickly a while back at some hacking contest.

John

Alan Baker

Aug 27, 2010, 2:20:49 PM8/27/10
In article <ygTdo.21666$st2....@newsfe09.iad>,
John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Pity you didn't understand it.

John Slade

Aug 27, 2010, 2:22:37 PM8/27/10
On 8/26/2010 6:32 PM, Shadrak wrote:
> "KDT"<scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 26, 5:49 pm, John Slade<hhitma...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> On 8/24/2010 4:01 PM, MuahMan wrote:
>>
>>> But you Apphole told us it was the death of the netbook. What gives. 2
>>> million iPads, 70 million netpads by intel alone. Something is getting
>>> killed alright, but it's not the netbook.
>>
>> Anyone who said that the iPad would kill the netbooks is
>> just as clueless as those saying that Apple is making big gains
>> in the enterprise market. The iPad is Apple's "netbook". It's a
>> tablet targeted at the netbook market. But it's underpowered and
>> way too expensive to really compete in the netbook market. The
>> iPad does well with the trendy, novelty mobile devices that can
>> do minor things well and major thinks OK. The netbook market
>> started out this way but newer netbooks are actually comparable
>> to lower and mid-range laptops in terms of performance. This is
>> why the netbook market will eventually merge with the
>> laptop/notebook market.
>>
>> John
>
> I guess the CEO of the company who sells the most netbooks is
> "clueless"....
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/asus-downgrades-eee-pc-shipment-forecast-blames-ipad/

I can see how a few sales can be lost to the iPad but I
stand by what I said, the iPad will not kill the netbook market.
Now if they lower the price to under what a netbook costs and
add a keyboard, they might do some damage.

> Or as Michael Dell said
>
> Most users aren't happy with Netbooks after 36 hours.....
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/michael_dell_churchill_club_speech/
>
> He said that almost a year ago. According to you those products are
> obsolete three times over.

This is why I'm saying netbooks will be more powerful in
the future. They will actually be full power laptops/notebooks
with smaller screens. But in the current shape of netbooks
sales, I don't see them slowing down or losing out to the iPad.
In fact netbook sales are increasing. If people aren't satisfied
with the power and speed of the netbook then they will surely be
disappointed with the iPad that's underpowered.

John

John Slade

Aug 27, 2010, 2:26:03 PM8/27/10
On 8/26/2010 6:32 PM, Shadrak wrote:

You really should try quoting the text of the person
you're responding to because I thought you said all that. I have
KDT in my killfile and for some reason google groups text is not
marked as quoted text by outlook or outlook express. I recommend
using some other newsreader like Thunderbird from Mozilla.

John

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 3:06:55 PM8/27/10

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydp...@mac.com> wrote in message

WAKE UP!!

http://quocomputer.com/

Psystar wasn't "years ago"

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 3:12:22 PM8/27/10

"KDT" <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Really? Do you own a netbook, or is everything you read considered gospel?

The iPad screen is 9.5". In your mind is 9.5" bigger than 10". When you
use the iPad, heh, "keyboard", how much screen space does it take?

You gots to beef up your game, the guy that's set tp take my place is eager
to rip you a new one.

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 27, 2010, 3:12:37 PM8/27/10
In article <d1Udo.871$IH1...@newsfe18.iad>,
"Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Isn't a clone. Clone refers to IBM PC clones, and there haven't been
any of those in many, many years.

--
Lloyd

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 27, 2010, 3:16:32 PM8/27/10
In article <OnTdo.40277$wJ1....@newsfe08.iad>,
John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

I'll give you credit for being consistent, and not afraid to make your
opinions known and they are your opinions, not just links.

But in this case, as in way too many, your opinions about netbooks is
both wrong and irrelevant. The mfgs of them know that their market has
come and gone.

> > Or as Michael Dell said
> >
> > Most users aren't happy with Netbooks after 36 hours.....
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/michael_dell_churchill_club_speech/
> >
> > He said that almost a year ago. According to you those products are
> > obsolete three times over.
> >

> This is why I'm saying netbooks will be more powerful in
> the future. They will actually be full power laptops/notebooks
> with smaller screens. But in the current shape of netbooks
> sales, I don't see them slowing down or losing out to the iPad.
> In fact netbook sales are increasing. If people aren't satisfied
> with the power and speed of the netbook then they will surely be
> disappointed with the iPad that's underpowered.
>
> John

The iPad is not underpowered at all. It is designed for certain
functions that it does quite quickly and well. You keep confusing your
geek look at technology with the mainstream of consumer electronics.
The iPad is not now, and probably never will be, the geeks choice, but
it is growing in the consumer space quite quickly. And unfortunately
for you, the geeks represent a quite small part of the marketplace.

--
Lloyd

Lloyd Parsons

Aug 27, 2010, 3:19:15 PM8/27/10
In article <k6Udo.2511$sL7....@newsfe15.iad>,
"Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I would appreciate it if when you medication starts running low, and you
need yet another sockpuppet, you just introduce them as they spin out of
your mind!

There are some here that try to keep up with who is the sockpuppet of
who. Fortunately for me I figure all of you wintrolls are enough alike
that it just doesn't matter. :)

--
Lloyd

Shadrak

Aug 27, 2010, 3:20:29 PM8/27/10

"John Slade" <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

I am not allowed to use equipment other than what I am assigned. I'm sure
there's a reason. I guess that some fools read the header and think I am
someone else.

My posts are also edited. So while you read the context of my thoughts, the
syntax is not mine.

KDT

Aug 27, 2010, 7:08:41 PM8/27/10

Well, I'm not the one saying that Netbooks suck. The CEO of the
second largest computer manufacturer is.

Tim Adams

Aug 27, 2010, 8:29:00 PM8/27/10
In article <SONdo.554$IH1...@newsfe18.iad>, "Shadrak" <shad...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I never disputer that mac are P(ersonal) C(omputers), just like the Apple I and
II were before it.

> Everyone but a few
> shitheads like you know it.
>
> From the sometimes Mac bible:

> >snip the stupid, boring and obsessive shit.

Snit

Aug 27, 2010, 8:58:12 PM8/27/10
Tim Adams stated in post
teadams$2$0$0$3-E16ED3.20...@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net on
8/27/10 5:29 PM:

> regarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
> you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting
> the newsgroup." Andrew J. Brehm

--
"Incest IS sex by the very definition of the words. Therefore they ARE
identical when presented in that order." -- Tim Adams

John Slade

Aug 29, 2010, 5:41:02 PM8/29/10

These people will never get it. I've been in the
industry for decades and talk to people who actually designed
computers and have worked on both Mac and PC hardware over the
years and they call them clones. The only people who can't
comprehend that Apple makes clones today, don't know much about
computer hardware and software. So trying to explain to them is
a waste of time.

John

John Slade

Aug 29, 2010, 5:45:17 PM8/29/10

This is the reason I ignore KDT. He or she keeps parroting
the same old blogs. Some article said some netbook users are not
satisfied with their purchase. Yet the dumbass doesn't realize
that many people are satisfied with their netbooks. I'm willing
to bet most of the people who are dissatisfied with netbooks
actually bought them thinking they were just as capable as other
laptops/notebooks. What you still see is people buying netbooks
like hotcakes and no slowdown in sight. The iPad is basically a
novelty item that a few million people have bought. It will
probably not take many sales from the netbook buyers.

John

John Slade

Aug 29, 2010, 5:51:59 PM8/29/10
On 8/27/2010 12:12 PM, Shadrak wrote:

That's a problem, the keyboard on the screen sucks because
it takes up screen space. Now with the keyboard that can slide
out, people can chat and text while having the full screen.

John

John Slade

Aug 29, 2010, 5:58:56 PM8/29/10

I notice you didn't answer the question...

John

John Slade

Aug 29, 2010, 6:03:25 PM8/29/10

Opinions really can't be "wrong" only facts can really be
right or wrong. My opinions are as relevant as any other
person's opinions on any given issue.

John

Lloyd

Aug 29, 2010, 6:41:57 PM8/29/10

Running a little mom and pop computer business is at the very fringe of
'in the industry', your expertise just isn't what you would like others
to believe.
--
from Lloyd's iPad

Lloyd

Aug 29, 2010, 7:46:06 PM8/29/10

Ok, fair enough. I had a net book, gave it away because it isn't very
good at anything.