Asus 1000HE netbook restore

Ralph Mowery

Jun 9, 2009, 1:34:32 PM6/9/09
I just ordered a Asus 1000HE netbook. The ad mentions hitting the F9 key
several times to restore the netbook. The ad does not mention a recovery or
windows disc like the other computers I have used. How are they restoring
the computer if the operating system crashes ? Does the hard drive have a
hidden area or is there some special rom in the netbook ?

BillW50

Jun 9, 2009, 12:47:35 PM6/9/09

It is like a ROM. As the system area is marked off on the drive as read
only. Thus nothing can touch it. And when you press F9, it dumps the
user area and it starts fresh all over again.

Yes it also comes with a restore disc too. Also that disc you can put in
another computer and make a recovery disc from a flash drive (or SD
card). So you don't need a CD/DVD drive connected to your EeePC.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

AJL

Jun 9, 2009, 1:09:44 PM6/9/09
"Ralph Mowery" <rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I just ordered a Asus 1000HE netbook. The ad mentions hitting the F9 key
>several times to restore the netbook.

Apparently 3 times to restore per reviews.

>The ad does not mention a recovery or
>windows disc like the other computers I have used.

Here is a picture of what come with. A recovery disk is included.
While you're at it read the rest of the review for a head start.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1652-Gadgets-Examiner~y2009m5d19-Asus-Eee-1000HE-Netbook--unpacking-and-setup--part-2

>How are they restoring
>the computer if the operating system crashes ? Does the hard drive have a
>hidden area or is there some special rom in the netbook ?

The F9 restore is apparently from a partition on the hard drive, see
message 2 on this forum.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=64195

BTW I have the 1000HD and it has been a fine machine. But Asus has a
great many models and even netbooks with the same model number often
have large differences so you can never tell for sure until it
arrives. I think you will have lots of fun with your 1000HD as they
seem to be well received on all the forums and newsgroups.

Ralph Mowery

Jun 9, 2009, 7:46:37 PM6/9/09

"BillW50" <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote in message

> It is like a ROM. As the system area is marked off on the drive as read
> only. Thus nothing can touch it. And when you press F9, it dumps the user
> area and it starts fresh all over again.
>
> Yes it also comes with a restore disc too. Also that disc you can put in
> another computer and make a recovery disc from a flash drive (or SD card).
> So you don't need a CD/DVD drive connected to your EeePC.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Xandros Linux

Thanks for your and others replies. I know how the hard drive can be
partitioned off so that you normally can not write to it or maybe even read
it unless you do some tricks. I have seen that done in other computers.

Fine on it comming with a restore disc also. I did have some concern that
if the hard drive fails there would not be an easy way to get it going
again. Then with the prices falling on computers, it may be just beter to
get another computer anyway. Seems that I have been upgrading the systems
from the time I got a Radio Shack TRS-80 modle 3. Not sure where it will
stop. I don't even do too much with them, but even my tax programs will not
work under win 98 anymore and I bought a new computer just to get winxp. The
old Radio Shack would run one off BASIC just a couple of 5 inch (or was
that a tape) disks. Whole new XP computer was not too much more than buying
just the operating system at retail prices.

Alpha

Jun 9, 2009, 6:51:58 PM6/9/09

"Ralph Mowery" <rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "BillW50" <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote in message
>
>> It is like a ROM. As the system area is marked off on the drive as read
>> only. Thus nothing can touch it. And when you press F9, it dumps the user
>> area and it starts fresh all over again.
>>
>> Yes it also comes with a restore disc too. Also that disc you can put in
>> another computer and make a recovery disc from a flash drive (or SD
>> card). So you don't need a CD/DVD drive connected to your EeePC.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
>> Xandros Linux
>
> Thanks for your and others replies. I know how the hard drive can be
> partitioned off so that you normally can not write to it or maybe even
> read it unless you do some tricks. I have seen that done in other
> computers.
>
> Fine on it comming with a restore disc also. I did have some concern that
> if the hard drive fails there would not be an easy way to get it going
> again. Then with the prices falling on computers, it may be just beter to
> get another computer anyway. Seems that I have

Would you like to buy my TRS-80 Model 1 4K?

AJL

Jun 9, 2009, 11:11:35 PM6/9/09
"Ralph Mowery" <rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Fine on it comming with a restore disc also.

The apparent thinking as to why Asus provides *both* a recovery disk
and a recovery partition is because these netbooks have no optical
drive. So if a customer hasn't yet purchased an external optical drive
he can still do a restore if he gets in trouble.

BTW the restore disk that came with my Linux powered Eee PC netbook
also contains XP drivers should I ever decide to switch to Windows XP,
which I thought was a nice touch.

>I did have some concern that if the hard drive fails there
>would not be an easy way to get it going again.

Hard drive failure would be very unlikely. But hard drives are cheap
and easy to replace in these netbooks so not to worry,,,

Larry

Jun 10, 2009, 12:02:59 AM6/10/09
"Ralph Mowery" <rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> The
> old Radio Shack would run one off BASIC just a couple of 5 inch (or
> was that a tape) disks.

Model 3 had dual 5 1/4" soft-sectored floppies.

I once used one to flog through all the possible programming gear
combinations of a very expensive gear cutting machine that had 6
simultaneous, yet unrelated, equations to satisfy before you could cut a
gear of a certain size and pitch with the incomplete machine gearset we
had at Charleston Naval Shipyard.

The BASIC program merely took each of the available gear combinations
and tested them against the equations to find a match...with such a
limited machine. The first run of the program crashed after running
over 2 weeks, but produced an amazing printout on the RS dot-matrix
printer that was the output results (also printed to diskette).
Sometimes the printer would print nearly continuously of successful
"hits" from certain combinations. Other times, it wouldn't print for
hours or just once with long wait times for another success.

Unwilling to try to run it all at once, after the crash, I reprogrammed
it to start where it left off and it continued on another week and a
half flogging the numbers successfully until it finally hit END....(c;]

The final printout produced 7 volumes of possible gear combinations,
neatly sorted and printed for each possible pitch/size gear the machine,
with our available incomplete gearset, could produce for the optical
shop working on submarine periscopes. This greatly reduced the time it
took to mechanically program the gears and produce a beautifully
machined perfect gear for use every time, without wasting a single
blank.

The 7 volume set was reproduced and sent out to other Naval Shipyards
that had the same machine, but rarely used it because of its lack of
reference programming sets the little RS Mod3 slowly, but surely,
produced....

We knew the program was still running, even when it showed no output,
because we left a portable AM radio running next to it and the radio
could hear it cycling through its BASIC interpreter, over and over,
making a regular throbbing sound....

Far as I know, that 7 volume set was in use the day our great shipyard
was turned into scrap, greatly reducing the maintenance capabilities on
the submarine fleet. What a waste of really professional talent walked
out those gates that was unrecoverable.

--
-----
Larry Code 132.14, Quality Assurance Office, Metrology Laboratory

This week, please remember our murdered shipmates aboard USS Liberty
GTR-5, 42 years ago this week....attacked by Israel.
It was NO accident....

Larry

Jun 10, 2009, 12:04:18 AM6/10/09
"Alpha" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:h0mp2f$35q$1...@daisy.noc.ucla.edu:

> Would you like to buy my TRS-80 Model 1 4K?

I think I have the "floppy drive" for that in my storage building.

....or was that for the RS Coco (color computer)??....hmm...

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?

Alpha

Jun 10, 2009, 6:32:26 AM6/10/09

"Larry" <no...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Alpha" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:h0mp2f$35q$1...@daisy.noc.ucla.edu:
>
>> Would you like to buy my TRS-80 Model 1 4K?
>>

> I think I have the "floppy drive" for that in my storage building.
>
> ....or was that for the RS Coco (color computer)??....hmm...

You needed a $299 interface and $150 drive for that on the Model 1....about
9 months after it was delivered. My unit is #155

Also, to another point,

Many Asus netbooks evetually develop a caps lock key failure. I don't know
why, but my 900 lasted just over a year.

Alpha

Jun 10, 2009, 6:34:25 AM6/10/09

"Alpha" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

And yes, my Model 1, now 32 years old, still works.......

BillW50

Jun 10, 2009, 8:55:06 AM6/10/09
Alpha wrote on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 03:32:26 -0700:
> Also, to another point,
>
> Many Asus netbooks evetually develop a caps lock key failure. I don't
> know why, but my 900 lasted just over a year.

I never heard of this. Does that mean it quits working? Which doesn't
sound bad to me unless it gets stuck on. And if I had to live with one
key not working on my keyboard, the Caps Lock key would be the first one
on my list. <grin>

I also have five EeePCs and they are all over a year old. And they work
just like they did when new. Nothing is wearing out on them yet. One I
use over 8 hours per day too. I bought five EeePCs because they were the
first netbooks, with a great track record.

AJL

Jun 10, 2009, 12:19:09 PM6/10/09
BillW50 wrote:

>if I had to live with one key not working on
>my keyboard, the Caps Lock key would be
>the first one on my list. <grin>

It's a simple script modification to disable the caps lock key in either
Xandros or XP. I usually do it on my larger keyboard laptops, but I haven't
done it yet on this 7" 2G Surf. For some reason I don't seem to
accidentally hit it as much on these small keyboards.

BillW50

Jun 10, 2009, 12:56:07 PM6/10/09
In news:YISdneXL5YyRQLLX...@giganews.com,
AJL typed on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:19:09 -0700:

Yes that would be a good idea if you accidentally hit it a lot. I also
did a search on this problem that Alpha talked about and I couldn't find
anything.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Alpha

Jun 10, 2009, 4:44:21 PM6/10/09

> Alpha wrote on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 03:32:26 -0700:
>> Also, to another point,
>>
>> Many Asus netbooks evetually develop a caps lock key failure. I don't
>> know why, but my 900 lasted just over a year.
>
> I never heard of this. Does that mean it quits working? Which doesn't
> sound bad to me unless it gets stuck on. And if I had to live with one key
> not working on my keyboard, the Caps Lock key would be the first one on my
> list. <grin>

You would think so...but it boots uppercase sometimes and lowercase others.
And you have to use shift to change..try typing passwords and URLS when you
are unsure what state it is locked in. I did find several cases of this via
Google.

Alpha

Jun 10, 2009, 4:45:53 PM6/10/09
I will look up how to disable caps lock entirely...if anyone has a link it
would be appreciated (before I throw it out).

"Alpha" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

AJL

Jun 10, 2009, 5:50:15 PM6/10/09
"Alpha" <no...@none.net> wrote:

>I will look up how to disable caps lock entirely...if anyone has a link it
>would be appreciated (before I throw it out).

I used this registry edit to disable the caps lock key on my XP
powered Eee PC 1000HD:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=-

If you are uncomfortable with registry editing, just Google "disable
cap locks key" and you will find lots of free utilities that will do
it for you.

For those with Xandros here are the instructions:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=20061

Rich Greenberg

Jun 11, 2009, 9:15:02 AM6/11/09
In article <h0p622$3gv$1...@daisy.noc.ucla.edu>, Alpha <no...@none.net> wrote:
>I will look up how to disable caps lock entirely...if anyone has a link it
>would be appreciated (before I throw it out).

There are several utilities that disable caps lock or turn it into some
other key. The one I use is called "Caps Lock Changer". See:

http://www.filebird.com/

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L