RS/6000 7043-140

GL1zdA

Oct 27, 2009, 10:02:14 AM10/27/09
I have an RS/6000 7043-140 with a 332 MHz CPU. I know it's neither a
PS/2 nor a MCA based machine, but people here seem to know a lot about
these machines. It came with AIX, booted without problems to the logon
screen. But I wanted to install Windows NT on this machine. I already
installed successfully NT on an RS/6000 E30 and thought it will be
equally easy to do it on the 7043. But it does not work. Whatever I
do, I can't launch ARC. I tried the same ARC 1.51 disk I used on my
E30 (and it works for sure), but it is read and then I get the 'F5B'
code - "Transferring control to Operating System". I tried loading the
ARC in every possible way (described here: http://solinno.co.uk/7043-140/getstarted.php)
- it will always read the disk, but then it just stops. I have the
latest firmware installed - haven't tried downgrading it and also I
can't find any older version. It seems, it should be possible to run
Windows NT on this machine (http://www.pearpc.net/search.php?
st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sid=247276d72c1916c6f65e3d487fb116ee&keywords=firmware&fid
[]=5&ch=-1&start=10 - third post). I also tried to run it with a
Permedia based VGA that works in the E30, instead of the GXT800P, but
it changes nothing. Could anyone give me any hint, how to run it?

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 10:21:49 AM10/27/09

Here is a page that should answer most of your questions:

http://lists.solinno.co.uk/pipermail/rs6kpreplinux-users/2004-January/000983.html

GL1zdA

Oct 27, 2009, 10:35:48 AM10/27/09
> http://lists.solinno.co.uk/pipermail/rs6kpreplinux-users/2004-January...

I've seen it a while ago, but "NT4.0 can not be installed on the
7043-140, I've asked the RS/6000 support in Germany. No way." seems to
contradict with the Adapter Placement Guide (http://www-01.ibm.com/
support/docview.wss?uid=pub1sa38053824) where they list options for
the 7043-140 that are compatible with Windows NT.

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 10:48:38 AM10/27/09
> the 7043-140 that are compatible with Windows NT.- Hide quoted text -

I have a 7043-140 and a copy of NT 3.51. Let me try an install and I
will let you know what happens.

CT

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 1:20:51 PM10/27/09
> CT- Hide quoted text -

Accessed SMS menu and set boot devices floppy/cdrom/hard drive

Put NT351 boot floppy in drive and cdrom in drive.

Rebooted.......system looks at floppy, then looks at CD then proceeds
to boot to hard drive.

At the command line in AIX 4, I mounted the CD and accessed folder
i386....then typed winnt32.exe...........command will not execute.

Accessed folder Alpha and repeated with the same result.

Looks like it isn't going to work......

CT

Peter H. Wendt

Oct 27, 2009, 2:55:58 PM10/27/09
Hi Tim !

> Accessed SMS menu and set boot devices floppy/cdrom/hard drive
>
> Put NT351 boot floppy in drive and cdrom in drive.
>
> Rebooted.......system looks at floppy, then looks at CD then proceeds
> to boot to hard drive.
>
> At the command line in AIX 4, I mounted the CD and accessed folder
> i386....then typed winnt32.exe...........command will not execute.
>
> Accessed folder Alpha and repeated with the same result.
>
> Looks like it isn't going to work......

Maybe because the R6K is a PPC ?

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 6:05:13 PM10/27/09

Indeed........I just gave it a whack to show the world it doesn't
work.....at least for me. This machine runs AIX 4.3.3 flawlessly and
I am going to keep it that way. AIX Toolbox for Linux has lots of
nice stuff and should be explored.

CT

supervinx

Oct 27, 2009, 6:10:58 PM10/27/09
AIX toolbox for Linux ?
What is it ?

supervinx

Oct 27, 2009, 6:12:20 PM10/27/09
AIX toolbox for Linux runs on Linux or on AIX ?

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 6:20:31 PM10/27/09
On Oct 27, 6:12 pm, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote:
> AIX toolbox for Linux runs on Linux or on AIX ?

Aix Toolbox for Linux allows you to run Linux programs on AIX.

Look here: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/index.html

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 27, 2009, 6:21:03 PM10/27/09
On Oct 27, 6:12 pm, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote:
> AIX toolbox for Linux runs on Linux or on AIX ?

It runs Linux applications on AIX.........

Rick Ekblaw

Oct 27, 2009, 7:19:14 PM10/27/09
Tim Knight/CT wrote:
> On Oct 27, 10:48 am, "Tim Knight/CT" <msgtkni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like it isn't going to work......

Tim, you'd need the "NT for POWER" code release to even attempt it, and
then you'd find that it doesn't work (like GL1zdA says). What GL1zdA
misses with the reference to the "NT Adapters" is that Microsoft kept
saying, "Yes, we'll make it work", but they never came through.

...and she said, "My lover is a Microsoft salesman. He keeps telling me
how great it's going to be when I finally get it".

Rick Ekblaw

GL1zdA

Oct 28, 2009, 3:23:15 AM10/28/09
You won't boot the regular NT boot floppy on a RS/6000. You have to
boot an ARC floppy (here it is:
http://www.os2site.com/sw/hardware/ppc/index.html arc151.exe or
arc151.dd)

> Rebooted.......system looks at floppy, then looks at CD then proceeds
> to boot to hard drive.
>
> At the command line in AIX 4, I mounted the CD and accessed folder
> i386....then typed winnt32.exe...........command will not execute.
>
> Accessed folder Alpha and repeated with the same result.

It's not supposed to work this way. The ARC has to start the setup
routine. You also have to have a ppc folder on you installation CD.
(on the NT 4.0 CD are usually 4 folders: i386, alpha, ppc and mips.

Uli Link

Oct 28, 2009, 5:13:36 AM10/28/09
Tim Knight/CT schrieb:

> On Oct 27, 6:12 pm, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote:
>> AIX toolbox for Linux runs on Linux or on AIX ?
>
> It runs Linux applications on AIX.........

No Sir,

you have an environment, which makes it easier to port Linux software to
AIX, but AIX cannot execute Linux binaries. Not even Linux/PowerPC binaries.
It isn't Linux, more a repository for OpenSource tools.
GNOME or KDE isn't directly related to Linux although Linux uses them.

My Firefox/Seamonkey/Thunderbird for AIX needs a few packages from the
AIX Toolbox as runtime predependencies.

The Toolbox are AIX apps and libraries.
They use the RedHat Package Manager (a.k.a. RPM) format instead of the
AIX default installp format.

A 7043P-140 cannot run AIX 5.2 or newer.
So you cannot install RPMs for AIX 5.2 or newer, recent additions need
AIX 5.3. You may find the older packages directly from the ftp server.

--
ULi

Tim Knight/CT

Oct 28, 2009, 10:15:27 AM10/28/09

Brief update before this thread gets any more ragged........

I downloaded arc151.dd and rawrote it to a floppy. It would not boot.

I downloaded arc151.exe and extracted it to a floppy. It would not
boot.

I tried to extract arcv151.exe which contains mkflpppc.exe but the
file is encrypted and I don't have the goddamn password.

FI-IQ (If you don't know what that means, email me privately and I
will explain)

CT the Disgruntled