what speakers to buy

Andre

Jul 2, 2003, 7:07:57 PM7/2/03
Hi !

I wanted to know your opinion on computer speakers. I´ve heard much about
klipsch, monsoon and also the logitech Z-560.

It´s not important to me that the system has the surround option, that means
it´s not important if it´s 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1, I just wanted the best quality
system that doesn´t distorce. I had in mind Logitech´s Z-560, Klipsch 4.1
Promedia or Monsoon MM-1000.

What´s your opinion on this? Is there any other option? I´ve heard the
monsoon´s are very good, but if you look at the specs, it has only 12W per
speaker against the 60W from klipsch, even Logitech is 53W per speaker!
Being a musician I know that wattage is not that important, but not being an
expert in this concrete subject, I´ve come to ask your opinion.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kalman Rubinson

Jul 2, 2003, 7:21:02 PM7/2/03
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:07:57 +0100, "Andre" <andre...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What´s your opinion on this? Is there any other option? I´ve heard the
>monsoon´s are very good, but if you look at the specs, it has only 12W per
>speaker against the 60W from klipsch, even Logitech is 53W per speaker!
>Being a musician I know that wattage is not that important, but not being an
>expert in this concrete subject, I´ve come to ask your opinion.

Without testing any of these, I strongly believe that the Monsoon
rating is probably closer to reality than are the other ratings.
I suggest you audition them.

Kal

Joseph Oberlander

Jul 3, 2003, 2:30:46 AM7/3/03
Small amplifier and a real pair of speakers.

What's your budget?

Grasso

Jul 3, 2003, 6:39:59 PM7/3/03

If you have the spare place, use big speakers, i.e. at least 17cm (6")
bass drivers! There are good two-way speakers with shielded magnets
available for rather few money. See also
http://Grassomusic.de/e/magnet.htm

Mono subwoofers are crap, because the lower the frequencies are the
more sound sources should exist, at least two as in stereo systems.
The thing is about flattening out room resonances. (
http://Grassomusic.de/e/mehr.htm )

Uli

--
------- http://grassomusic.de -------

Robert

Jul 5, 2003, 9:54:38 PM7/5/03
I have both the Monsoon MM-700 and the MM-1000 connected to a TBSC just as a
quad (4 speaker) setup. The 1000's sound much richer than the 700's but
together they sound great. The reason the Monsoon power rating is so low is
that the satellites are a true planar speaker and there isn't much mass to
move with the magnets. I got my mm-1000 from 'digitally unique' good price
and fast shipment.

Robert

"Andre" <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I wanted to know your opinion on computer speakers. I扉e heard much about

> klipsch, monsoon and also the logitech Z-560.
>

> It愀 not important to me that the system has the surround option, that
means
> it愀 not important if it愀 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1, I just wanted the best
quality
> system that doesn愒 distorce. I had in mind Logitech愀 Z-560, Klipsch 4.1
> Promedia or Monsoon MM-1000.
>
> What愀 your opinion on this? Is there any other option? I扉e heard the
> monsoon愀 are very good, but if you look at the specs, it has only 12W per

> speaker against the 60W from klipsch, even Logitech is 53W per speaker!
> Being a musician I know that wattage is not that important, but not being
an

> expert in this concrete subject, I扉e come to ask your opinion.

Karl Rundblom

Jul 7, 2003, 3:35:24 PM7/7/03
"Grasso" :

> Mono subwoofers are crap, because the lower the frequencies are the
> more sound sources should exist, at least two as in stereo systems.
> The thing is about flattening out room resonances. (

Seems strange to me that more sources should help eliminate interferance
(the cause of resonation). I've always felt that if you put subwoofers
togheter the sound gets more tight and that you eliminate the "power alley"
effect.

Could not find any useful information about this on your Grassomusic links.

Regards,
Karl Rundblom,
Sweden

Kalman Rubinson

Jul 7, 2003, 3:49:19 PM7/7/03
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:35:24 +0200, "Karl Rundblom"
<karu...@student.uu.se> wrote:

>"Grasso" :
>> Mono subwoofers are crap, because the lower the frequencies are the
>> more sound sources should exist, at least two as in stereo systems.
>> The thing is about flattening out room resonances. (
>
>Seems strange to me that more sources should help eliminate interferance
>(the cause of resonation). I've always felt that if you put subwoofers
>togheter the sound gets more tight and that you eliminate the "power alley"
>effect.

Right. Stack 'em all in the same corner. Where's Tom Nousaine when
you need him?

Kal

George M. Middius

Jul 7, 2003, 3:51:12 PM7/7/03

Kalman Rubinson said:

> Where's Tom Nousaine when you need him?

Has hell frozen over?

Kalman Rubinson

Jul 7, 2003, 4:08:55 PM7/7/03

No way, judging from the NYC weather.

Kal

George M. Middius

Jul 7, 2003, 4:11:20 PM7/7/03

Kalman Rubinson said:

> >> Where's Tom Nousaine when you need him?
> >
> >Has hell frozen over?
>
> No way, judging from the NYC weather.

Then why speculate on something even less likely?

Kalman Rubinson

Jul 7, 2003, 4:31:48 PM7/7/03

Because it will snow eventually.

Kal

George M. Middius

Jul 7, 2003, 5:21:43 PM7/7/03

Kalman Rubinson said:

> >> No way, judging from the NYC weather.
> >
> >Then why speculate on something even less likely?
>
> Because it will snow eventually.

Are you saying NYC is actually hell?

Kalman Rubinson

Jul 7, 2003, 5:51:01 PM7/7/03

You might say so; I could not possibly comment.

Kal

Grasso

Jul 7, 2003, 7:18:24 PM7/7/03
Hi Karl,

http://grassomusic.de/e/3d.htm#resonances :

"While a room resonance produces an amplitude boost at one point it
can be contrastingly quiet some inches away, and the response also
depends on the position of the sound source."

So when one has several sound sources at different places, the effect
of positioning is averaged. In the bass range where one cannot detect
the direction from which the sound is coming anyway, this is a viable
solution. It is also a good solution to have much diaphragm area (or
mouth area in case of horn speakers) and aligned in the right manner,
because of directivity which can defeat resonances as well.

When you experience more loudness in case that two speakers are
located close together than in the case that they are far away from
each other, that is true (because of radiation impedance). But sound
quality is not the same as loudness.

Cut short: There are many more things about acoustics in the world
than loudspeaker sales people tell use.

Elton Noway

Jul 7, 2003, 8:13:29 PM7/7/03
"Andre" <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:

> I wanted to know your opinion on computer speakers. I´ve heard much about
> klipsch, monsoon and also the logitech Z-560.
>
> It´s not important to me that the system has the surround option, that means
> it´s not important if it´s 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1, I just wanted the best quality
> system that doesn´t distorce.

Good point... don't get hung up on the 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 (especially when
you don't need it) Instead, go for the best sounding / best value for
your dollar. Problem is, great sounding speakers is subjective. What
sounds good to one person may sound bad to another. It's best to dig
through several online speaker reviews, then make a decision based on
statistics and the best match for your application.

FYI: Not necessarily the models you mentioned, but a great review of
speakers none-the-less at Toms Hardware...

http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030108/index.html

Elton
-"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... not screaming in
horror like the passengers in his car"-