Help on 1701 error on IBM PC XT.

Alok Singh

Oct 2, 1992, 5:31:56 PM10/2/92
I am building a PC XT. When I turn pc on it gives 1701
error and ask to hit key "F1" to resume. I know it is about
hard disk error. After hitting F1 it boots up and gives prompt a:> .

It has 128K memory because it checks 128K only during bootup.

I know my controller, ribbon cable, hard disk are fully functional.
because they work on other PC.

I have SW1 only on mother board. following switch are on: 2,7,8.
I have co-processor, one floppy drive and one hard disk.

When I change dir to c: it says invalid disk.

Question: What should I do to make DOS look for Hard disk. I don't
care if I have to loose data on hard disk by formatting it.

Please email me direct I will appreciate it. I will post summary of

ALOK SINGH
Sr. Design Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices
Sunnyvale CA 94088 USA ph. (408)987-2967.