How to build Win98 legacy machine

Christopher Couch

Nov 13, 2012, 1:37:15 AM11/13/12
Looking for good spec recommendations, thanks

nichola...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2013, 2:01:58 PM2/6/13
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:37:15 AM UTC-6, Christopher Couch wrote:
> Looking for good spec recommendations, thanks

I've run Windows 98SE on a 700 mhz board with 512mb RAM and an ATI Rage 128 16mb card with an 80 gb hard drive and it blazes. I think one time I had a 250 gb drive installed as a second drive, but I don't remember how I got Windows 98 to format it. I know I tried to install 98 on the 250 but FDISK kept screwing it up.

If you're looking for new equipment though, like you can buy off TIgerDirect, I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for. Most boards these days use technology 98 would need custom drivers for. Like SATA ports, PCIexpress ( I think that's the new one???), etc.

Your best bet may be to NOS (new old stock) parts and build one that way. Otherwise, buying used parts isn't so bad either!