Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

Al Dykes

Mar 27, 2008, 1:22:48 PM3/27/08

I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.

After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
partitions and can't perform any tasks.

PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
this for me?

Thanks

--
Al Dykes

Rod Speed

Mar 27, 2008, 3:09:53 PM3/27/08
Al Dykes <ady...@panix.com> wrote:
> I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
> with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
> want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
> doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.
>
> After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
> and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
> partitions and can't perform any tasks.
>

> PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
> this for me?

Yep, Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Franc Zabkar

Mar 27, 2008, 4:15:44 PM3/27/08
On 27 Mar 2008 13:22:48 -0400, ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
>with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
>want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
>doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.
>
>After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
>and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
>partitions and can't perform any tasks.
>

>PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
>this for me?
>
>Thanks

Based on what I've seen in the PM8 User Guide, I would not have
allowed PM8 to write to your disc.

Before you do anything else, I would make a copy of your MBR and
partition table, and also of track 0. I use MBRtool for this purpose.

See http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm

I would then analyse the partition table entries by hand. It could be
that your laptop's security is hiding the real partition table from
PM8 (somewhere on track 0 ???), in which case the partition table at
physical sector 0 may be a dummy.

Here appear to be the relevant excerpts from the PM8 User Guide.

EN PartitionMagic 8.05 user guide:
http://www.amsoft.cz/produkty/Symantec/npm/pdf/user_guide_npm_8.pdf

#105 Partition starts on wrong boundary

The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values.
PartitionMagic expects partitions to begin and end on the correct
cylinder boundaries. If they do not, the disk may be partially
corrupted. In this circumstance, if PartitionMagic were to make any
modifications it might cause the loss of data. Therefore,
PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk’s partitions.

#111 Logical partition starts outside of Extended

An extended partition boot record (EPBR) is a sector on the hard disk
that contains a partition table. The EPBR partition table is special
because it generally only has two valid entries: one for the logical
partition and one that is a pointer to the next EPBR. The standard is
for the logical partition's entry to be the first entry in the table
and the second entry is the pointer to the next EPBR. The third and
fourth entries are not used. For some utilities, such as IBM's Boot
Manager, the order of these entries is important because the utility
expects the first entry to be the logical and the second entry to be
the pointer to the next EPBR. If PartitionMagic detects that the EPBR
entries are out of order, you will be prompted to fix the error. If
you choose to fix the error, PartitionMagic will reorder the EPBR
entries for you automatically.

- Franc Zabkar

Timothy Daniels

Mar 28, 2008, 1:45:48 PM3/28/08
"Al Dykes" wrote:
> PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
> this for me?

Your problem may have to do with the Vista method of aligning
partitions on 1MB boundaries. Are you using partitions made by
Vista or the Vista installer? If so, I've read that the latest version
of BootIt NG handles Vista partitions.

*TimDaniels*

Al Dykes

Mar 28, 2008, 1:45:41 PM3/28/08