Ghost error 29004 - read error -- workarounds???

John Smith

Sep 2, 2002, 10:53:58 PM9/2/02
I have two IBM Travelstar drives, a 20 gb 4200 rpm Travelstar that has been
in use for a few months and a brand new 40 gb 5400 rpm Travelstar.

I hooked each drive up as a master on my desktop PC using IDE ribbon cable
adapters (2.5 -->> 3.5) and ran Ghost 7.0 to clone the old one onto the new
one.

Early on in the process, I received an error:

"Application error 29004 - Read sector failure - result =1, drive = 128,
sectors xxxxx to xxxxxx."

As stated the source drive is working fine. I assume the error is w/the
source drive???

Is this a software error - can Ghost be configured w/some switches to get
around this?

Should I try another program such as drive image?

Should I image the source drive onto one of my desktop hard drives and then
move the image to the 2nd drive?

I could use some help. Right now my notebook is down and I don't want to put
the source drive back and have to take it out again.

Thanks for any help?

John Smith

Sep 2, 2002, 11:06:33 PM9/2/02
For a similar error, Symantec recommends the following:

"Error: "29006 - Read sector failure" when cloning a drive or creating an
image

Situation:
When using Ghost to clone a drive or create an image, you see the message:
"(29006) Read sector failure..."

Solution:
This error indicates that the source drive has bad sectors. Run Scandisk or
Norton Disk Doctor, choosing the thorough surface test. If there are too
many bad sectors that cannot be recovered, Ghost may not function on this
drive.

You can also use the -BFC switch to set Ghost to skip bad sectors. This
causes Ghost to continue even with bad sectors, though Ghost will abort if
the number of bad sectors is larger than 500. "

Should I use the -BFC swich or should I go to the trouble of running
Scandisk? If I run Scandisk on the source drive, is there a chance I can
make the source disk so it will no longer boot?

What is the most practical way to approach this? Isn't it most likely that
the bad sectors on the old drive are not in use and therefore the -BFC
switch is the best route?

Is the command at the Dos prompt: "Ghost -BFC" ?

"John Smith" <sm...@smtih.com> wrote in message

Scott A

Sep 2, 2002, 11:13:07 PM9/2/02

"John Smith" <sm...@smtih.com> wrote in message
> I have two IBM Travelstar drives, a 20 gb 4200 rpm Travelstar that has
been
> in use for a few months and a brand new 40 gb 5400 rpm Travelstar.
>
> I hooked each drive up as a master on my desktop PC using IDE ribbon cable
> adapters (2.5 -->> 3.5) and ran Ghost 7.0 to clone the old one onto the
new
> one.
>
> Early on in the process, I received an error:
>
> "Application error 29004 - Read sector failure - result =1, drive = 128,
> sectors xxxxx to xxxxxx."

I don't know what error 29004 is exactly but you could always look that up
in the ghost docos.

Sounds like a bad sector on the source drive, perhaps you should put it back
in the laptop and surface scan.

> As stated the source drive is working fine. I assume the error is w/the
> source drive???

Doesn't necesarily mean it is free of bad sectors.

> Is this a software error - can Ghost be configured w/some switches to get
> around this?

There is a switch you can use with ghost (can't remeber try ghost /? for
command line options) which tells it to skip unreadable sectors although
sometimes the drive just locks up when it finds one of these.

> Should I try another program such as drive image?
>
> Should I image the source drive onto one of my desktop hard drives and
then
> move the image to the 2nd drive?

I generally try to use a DOS network boot disk with laptops and dump the
image onto my main pc. Usually works and avoids all that "messy" stuff.

Scott A.