HELP! Partion Magic Error #109 & #113!!!

Raheen Ballard

Apr 29, 2002, 7:16:21 AM4/29/02
Hi guys!
    I have a 20Gig Maxtor HD I'm trying to divide into 2 partitions. Scandisk reveals no errors.  But using Partition Magic, I get PLENTY.  The most common seems to be error #113 (Partitions overlap) & #109 (Partition ends after end of of disk). The PartitonInfo program shows about *5* different partitions!   I've erased all partitions and "fdisked" it time after time, deleting all logical and physical partitions there as well.  Also used Disk Management for Win2000.  Still get same errors...I have the error report on a file, if that'll help.  If someone could tell me how to once and for all delete those bad partitions, i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks to all who try!

Ian Roberts

Apr 29, 2002, 7:31:48 AM4/29/02
Hi Raheen

I dont have THE answer but a few suggestions...

Have you checked the jumpers on the drive are in the correct positions
for your system.

Try sending an email to PM support - they usually respond in a day or
two.

Sorry I couldnt give you any more specifc info

Ian I^)

"Raheen Ballard" <rballard34@(DELETETHIS)comcast.net> wrote in message

Boxdan476

Apr 29, 2002, 7:42:59 AM4/29/02
Sounds like the MBR is corrupted somehow and is still carrying "ghost" information about non-existent partitions. You might try using fdisk again with the /mbr switch enabled to rebuild the MBR fresh. If still no joy, I would get a copy of the Maxtor disk utility (Power Max?) either on diskette or download from site. With this utility you can boot from a floppy and use the utility to clear MBR, run disk diagnostics (and get an error code for warranty return if needed) and do a "low level" format, which is probably what you need. It sounds like at some time the drive had some images restored to it improperly or else had some kind of BIOS overlays installed, whatever, just wipe it and start over. Using PowerMax, if it is corrupted beyond repair you will know.
HTH

--
boxdan476
"Chance proposes, death disposes." - African Genesis

Raheen Ballard

Apr 30, 2002, 3:08:13 AM4/30/02
    Ding ding ding!  We have a winner! ;-)  Thanks, Boxdan..you hit the nail on the head...it took FOREVER
to finish running, but a low-level format using the MaxBlast diskette worked...is there a fast way to do it using wondows if it's not the active disk, i wonder?  Oh well...no biggy...thanks again!

Boxdan476

Apr 30, 2002, 3:18:09 PM4/30/02
Glad to hear it. AFAIK you cannot do a true "low level" format with any native Windows utility. It is not usually recommended to do a low level format unless as last resort. Some types of HDD do not take a low level format well. This formatting is typically done at the factory and not redone again unless corruption occurs. Probably better to just try and rebuild the MBR in most cases, that often fixes things. (It is safest to use the vendor supplied utility in most cases.)
Cheers