1880 PCI/PNP Error! No Hardware Interrupt

Stewart Rogers

Apr 13, 2003, 9:45:22 PM4/13/03

I am getting this error and other similar 1800 range errors. Anyone have a
guide on (or know) how to solve them?

I am using a PC 300GL (6275-54U). The board has 2 PCI slots and two ISA
slots. The only card I am putting in is a ISA audio card.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stewart

Pen Stevens

Apr 14, 2003, 7:24:18 AM4/14/03
Sounds like the sound card may not have an IRQ selected.
Usually
a jumper onboard.

"Stewart Rogers" <stew_...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Stewart Rogers

Apr 14, 2003, 9:02:14 PM4/14/03
That is what I thought. There does not appear to be anywhere to set the
jumper setting. It is an older sound card.

Unfortunately I have no manuals with it. I was hoping that there was a
standard audio card setting but I can not seem to guess it. Plus I know
very little about the BIOS I am using.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stewart

"Pen Stevens" <pen34us...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan Neely

Apr 14, 2003, 10:33:04 PM4/14/03
"Stewart Rogers" <stew_...@sympatico.ca> wrote

> That is what I thought. There does not appear to be anywhere to set the
> jumper setting. It is an older sound card.
>
> Unfortunately I have no manuals with it. I was hoping that there was a
> standard audio card setting but I can not seem to guess it. Plus I know
> very little about the BIOS I am using.

With more info about the card someone can (probably) track down docs for
you.

---

MasterBlaster

Apr 15, 2003, 7:36:33 AM4/15/03

"Stewart Rogers" wrote

> That is what I thought. There does not appear to be anywhere to set the
> jumper setting. It is an older sound card.
>
> Unfortunately I have no manuals with it. I was hoping that there was a
> standard audio card setting but I can not seem to guess it. Plus I know
> very little about the BIOS I am using.

Well, the "standard" for soundcards is/was IRQ 5, but things change.

Is there a place in the BIOS where you can "reserve" Irq 5 for sound or
"Legacy ISA"?

Have you tried changing the BIOS setting for "Plug & play O/S" to yes (if it's no),
or the other way around to see what happens?

And what version of whose BIOS is in there?

Can you tell what brand the card is? List any of the numbers/words on the main
chips, the board, any stickers, etc. on both sides.

I have a couple of dozen assorted sound cards here, and it was a real pain
trying to figure out what some of them were.

Maybe go to http://www.totalhardware.de and check the pictures in the
sound/multimedia area for a card that looks the same, and go from there.

Or go to http://www.driverguide.com/ with logon "drivers", password "all", and
try whatever numbers are on the card. Surely something will pop up.

Stewart Rogers

Apr 15, 2003, 7:04:08 PM4/15/03
It seems to be an older card from Aztech.

Aztech Sound Card
FCC-ID -> I38 SN96116
AZT000913

Thanks
Stewart

"Dan Neely" <dan...@pitt.edu> wrote in message

Stewart Rogers

Apr 15, 2003, 7:07:25 PM4/15/03
> Is there a place in the BIOS where you can "reserve" Irq 5 for sound or
> "Legacy ISA"?
> Have you tried changing the BIOS setting for "Plug & play O/S" to yes (if
it's no),
> or the other way around to see what happens?

Yes. But it doesn't seem to help. I can set it for Legacy ISA on Irq 5 and
Plug and Play OS to Yes and it does not seem to help.

> And what version of whose BIOS is in there?

Standard one I am sure. I am using a PC 300GL and I suspect the default
BIOS that came with the system is in there. I'll look it up later and let
you know.

> Can you tell what brand the card is? List any of the numbers/words on the
main
> chips, the board, any stickers, etc. on both sides.

Aztech

FCC-ID -> I38 SN96116
AZT000913

Thanks
Stewart

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.H...@My.Place> wrote in message

Stewart Rogers

Apr 15, 2003, 9:04:43 PM4/15/03
> And what version of whose BIOS is in there?

Does this help?

Model 627554U
Flash EEPROM Revision Level PDKT27ACE
Boot Block Revision Level PD14A
System Board Identifier AG01P16036A
System Serial Number 2361106
Bios Date 07/19/99
Bios Mode Desktop

Thanks
Stewart

MasterBlaster

Apr 16, 2003, 8:37:10 AM4/16/03

"Stewart Rogers" wrote

> Aztech
> FCC-ID -> I38 SN96116
> AZT000913

FCCID=I38-SN96116

Aztech Multimedia Pro 16V-a PnP
aka Aztech AZT1008 Sound Device
aka Aztech 2320

Also found in older HP computers with
part number HP P/N 5064-2620

Drivers at:

http://www.aztech.com/pub/Generic/audio/mmpro16v/
ftp://ftp.univ-lille1.fr/pub/vendor/aztech/pub/generic/audio/mmpro16v/
http://www.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads3/3499.html

Are there any jumpers on the card at all?
The names don't match, but do any of the Aztech card pictures at
http://www.totalhardware.de/i/i16snd_t.htm look the same?

Stewart Rogers

Apr 16, 2003, 7:36:39 PM4/16/03
Thanks for the drivers .. I am sure they will come in handy if I can ever
get past the BIOS. I wish I could find a manual for the motherboard/bios.
Stewart

> Are there any jumpers on the card at all?

Nope. One space that looks maybe like a jumper but is labeled 'internal
speaker'.

> The names don't match, but do any of the Aztech card pictures at
> http://www.totalhardware.de/i/i16snd_t.htm look the same?

Nope.

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.H...@My.Place> wrote in message

Stewart Rogers

Apr 16, 2003, 8:23:50 PM4/16/03

Found the manual for the BIOS .. now I wish I could find the manual for the
sound card. Anyone know what the default settings are for : (general
rules of thumb are fine, I can guess from there)

- Memory resources
- I/O port resources
- DMA resources
- Interrupt resources

I am guessing the Interrupt is #5 .. when set to ISA Resource, I get this
error next:

A Plug and Play adapter has requested an I/O address that is not available,

Just not sure what address to guess.

Thanks
Stewart

"Stewart Rogers" <stew_...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

MasterBlaster

Apr 17, 2003, 8:26:23 AM4/17/03

"Stewart Rogers"

> > > The names don't match, but do any of the Aztech card pictures at
> > > http://www.totalhardware.de/i/i16snd_t.htm look the same?
> >
> > Nope.

I don't suppose it's one of those silly 3-sided things?
http://pcpartsinc.com/product-images/HP-5064-2620_vectra_isa_sound.jpg

Pen Stevens

Apr 17, 2003, 12:42:55 PM4/17/03
The "Original" 8 bit SoundBlaster, which most cards could
emulate used-

IRQ 2 or 5 (default) or 7
DMA Ch 1
Joystick I/O 200 Hex
Audio I/O 220 Hex (default) 240 Hex (alternate)

If that fails try this url;
http://www.americas.creative.com/support/welcome.asp?RD=spec
then look at some other versions, however, I'm pretty sure
they used the same.

"Stewart Rogers" <stew_...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Stewart Rogers

Apr 17, 2003, 7:30:56 PM4/17/03
That is it!! Now we have found a picture, but need a manual.
Stewart

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.H...@My.Place> wrote in message

MasterBlaster

Apr 18, 2003, 6:58:58 AM4/18/03

"Stewart Rogers" wrote

> I don't suppose it's one of those silly 3-sided things?
> http://pcpartsinc.com/product-images/HP-5064-2620_vectra_isa_sound.jpg

> That is it!! Now we have found a picture, but need a manual.

Well, as the card is also used in HP Vectra VL 6/xxx Series 7 machines, how about an 824k
pdf file...

"HP Vectra VL 6/xxx Series 7, Using sound(pdf document, viewable by Adobe Acrobat Reader)"
from http://h200003.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv07509/lpv07509.pdf

Page 27 says...

The following table gives the preferred settings for the sound board:

Audio Interface: I/O Address Range: 220H to 22FH
Joystick Connector: Enabled
IRQ Line: IRQ 5
Low DMA Channel: 1
High DMA Channel: 3
MPU-401 UART MIDI Interface: I/O Address Range: 300H to 301H
IRQ Line: IRQ 9
Joystick Interface: I/O Address Range: 200H to 207H
Stereo Music Synthesizer I/O Address Range: 388H to 38BH

The operating system may change these settings when a board is installed or
reinstalled if one of the following occurs:
- Another peripheral device uses the same I/O addresses, DMA channel, or
interrupt setting as the sound board (known as a hardware conflict).
- Another joystick/game connector is already in use in your system.

> I am guessing the Interrupt is #5 .. when set to ISA Resource, I get this
> error next:

> A Plug and Play adapter has requested an I/O address that is not available,

Okay, so the card's PnP, and it's asking for the IRQ you just made unavailable.

Then have a look through the various BIOS screens and make a list of what resources are
already used by other devices, and whether they're conflicting with what the sound card
wants. It's PnP, so the BIOS should be able to arrange things the way it wants (assuming
the card isn't toast).

What were the other 18xx error codes that popped up?
I see #1880 on page 118 of the manual. Are the others about ISA, or PCI?

Stewart Rogers

Apr 18, 2003, 10:24:52 AM4/18/03
Thanks. Got it working.

In the BIOS, I just set the I/O, IRQ and DMA settings to ISA Resource for
the settings below.

Stewart

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.H...@My.Place> wrote in message

MasterBlaster