Thinkpad 600 Error Codes

Christina C.

May 23, 2007, 10:59:22 AM5/23/07
Hello everyone...

I have a link to what the error codes mean and have worked on these
laptops in my past -- but I'm trying to "resurrect" a 600 for a friend
of mine.

She gets the following errors upon bootup:

173
163
and then a lock

She does not have the CMOS password. I have removed the CMOS battery
from the MOBO -- and let it sit and try again; same results.

Is there anyway I can get this to work?

I am a techie and am certified to tear apart Dell laptops -- so I'm
sure if I get some direction I could work on this, too.

Thanks in advance!

-Christina

Arno Wagner

May 23, 2007, 12:10:05 PM5/23/07
Previously Christina C. <lanik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone...

> I have a link to what the error codes mean and have worked on these
> laptops in my past -- but I'm trying to "resurrect" a 600 for a friend
> of mine.

There is an error code list at
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LWIK-3SR4PW

> She gets the following errors upon bootup:

> 173
This is an empty or failed battery for thye CMOS, if I read it right.

> 163
This is time and date not set.

> and then a lock

> She does not have the CMOS password. I have removed the CMOS battery
> from the MOBO -- and let it sit and try again; same results.

> Is there anyway I can get this to work?

Maybe try with a new battery?

Arno

Christina C.

May 23, 2007, 2:01:01 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 12:10 pm, Arno Wagner <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Previously Christina C. <lanikaib...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone...
> > I have a link to what the error codes mean and have worked on these
> > laptops in my past -- but I'm trying to "resurrect" a 600 for a friend
> > of mine.
>
> There is an error code list athttp://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LWIK-3...

> > She gets the following errors upon bootup:
> > 173
>
> This is an empty or failed battery for thye CMOS, if I read it right.
>
> > 163
>
> This is time and date not set.
>
> > and then a lock
> > She does not have the CMOS password. I have removed the CMOS battery
> > from the MOBO -- and let it sit and try again; same results.
> > Is there anyway I can get this to work?
>
> Maybe try with a new battery?
>
> Arno
>

> > I am a techie and am certified to tear apart Dell laptops -- so I'm
> > sure if I get some direction I could work on this, too.
> > Thanks in advance!
> > -Christina- Hide quoted text -

That could work -- but what about the cmos password -- how do I
"break" it; so I can boot up?

Christina C.

May 23, 2007, 2:01:19 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 12:10 pm, Arno Wagner <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Previously Christina C. <lanikaib...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone...
> > I have a link to what the error codes mean and have worked on these
> > laptops in my past -- but I'm trying to "resurrect" a 600 for a friend
> > of mine.
>
> There is an error code list athttp://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LWIK-3...

> > She gets the following errors upon bootup:
> > 173
>
> This is an empty or failed battery for thye CMOS, if I read it right.
>
> > 163
>
> This is time and date not set.
>
> > and then a lock
> > She does not have the CMOS password. I have removed the CMOS battery
> > from the MOBO -- and let it sit and try again; same results.
> > Is there anyway I can get this to work?
>
> Maybe try with a new battery?
>
> Arno
>

> > I am a techie and am certified to tear apart Dell laptops -- so I'm
> > sure if I get some direction I could work on this, too.
> > Thanks in advance!

Pen

May 23, 2007, 2:52:21 PM5/23/07
If removing the battery didn't work I think you may be out of luck.
The manual is found here, page 2-31 is the applicable section.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=LWIK-3TUM4J

Christina C.

May 23, 2007, 4:02:33 PM5/23/07
> The manual is found here, page 2-31 is the applicable section.http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=leno...- Hide quoted text -

thank you for the link of the manual -- yea I thought I was SOL as
well; but I thought I'd give it my best-effort.

Will let you all know.

Thanks!
-Christina

Arno Wagner

May 24, 2007, 7:10:42 AM5/24/07
Previously Christina C. <lanik...@hotmail.com> wrote:

If the battery is empty, it should be gone. When does it request the
password? And how was it booted before?

There is one other thing done on ThinkPads: Set an ATA password on the
disk. Since breaking these is typically required for stolen laptops,
I am not going to comment on what to do, since I payd for my
ThinkPad myself and a reputation for being unsellable after being
stolen is quite a plus.

Arno

Arno Wagner

May 24, 2007, 7:11:14 AM5/24/07