Borderlands huge retail Patch V1.1.0 is REQUIRED to play first DLC

John Lewis

Dec 10, 2009, 4:03:54 PM12/10/09

Retail Patch size = 1.1 Gbytes !!

Allows users to play the first DLC "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned"
Note: This patch is a base requirement in order to play this DLC, it
does NOT include it !!!

Get the appropriate version of the patch from the links in this
article:--

http://news.filefront.com/Borderlands-Retail-Patches/

This Filefront article is confusing.... According to Patches-Scrolls
the "Censored" version of the patch is apparently ONLY intended for
the GERMAN edition..... However, Patches-Scrolls has not set up any
valid links to the patches at the moment ...Hence, my direct Filefront
reference above. . The Filefront description attached to the
"International" version of the patch seems to have been mistakenly cut
and pasted from the "Censored" version.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Dec 10, 2009, 6:49:11 PM12/10/09
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:03:54 GMT, john...@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

VERY STRANGE -- READ ON

FYI: The Gearbox website confirms that the "Censored" version is
exclusively for the retail German version.
See:-
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/games/borderlands/

(How very disappointing, I thought that our fragile-psyche friends in
Australia would be included with the Germans.....)

However, both of the Geasrbox updates for compatibility with the DLC
are only ~ 190Mbytes !!

Which makes me think that PERHAPS the add-on is INCLUDED
in the Filefront 1.1Gbyte distribution ???? For free ?? Or maybe
enabled by buying a key??

Since I do not possess Borderlands (yet), I leave others to figure out
these conundrums...

Maybe our expert Jonah Falcon can figure it all out. Give him
something else to do other than spamming our newsgroups.

John Lewis

CoinSpin

Dec 10, 2009, 6:59:21 PM12/10/09

I could see a good complete DLC being over a gig, so your theory about
the patch and DLC together may make sense. It wouldn't be surprising
for it to be free, like Left4Dead and other games recently.
Particularly considering Borderlands is rather shallow as a base
program, the entire playthrough campaign can be blasted through
relatively quickly, and the level cap can be hit easily in the second
playthrough. I believe they have always intended DLCs to keep a
continued interest in the game. If that's the case, charging for them
would be a kiss of death on continued sales and consumer interest.

Of course, if you are on the Xbox360 version, it'll cost you points to
get the content - MS always has to get their slice of the pie for the
privilege of using their network.

--
~ CoinSpin

John Lewis

Dec 10, 2009, 11:29:21 PM12/10/09
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:49:11 GMT, john...@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

Finally sorted......

By consulting the "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" webpage and checking
on the sizes of the file downloads there, it appears that Filefront
has mistakenly archived the Zombie DLC content files as the
Borderland update files.

The true retail update files that are REQUIRED BEFORE INSTALLING ANY
Borderlands DLC can be found here:-

>http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/games/borderlands/

They are named:-

borderlands_worldwide_update.zip (~ 190Mbytes)

and

borderlands_censored_update.zip (for the German retail purchaser)
(~ 190Mbytes)

The first DLC content files ( Zombie Island)

are named:-

borderlands_dlc1_worldwide.zip (~ 1Gbyte)
Borderlands_dlc1_censored.zip (~1Gbyte) for the German purchaser

Either of these REQUIRES a purchased activation key ($9.99 from the
Gearbox website) and is limited to 5 *concurrent* activations. Whether
these activations are recoverable on uninstall is not (yet?) addressed
on the Zombie DLC web page. . SecureROM of course....

On Filefront, these two dlc1 files are currently masquerading as the
Borderlands UPDATE patches and have an appropriate update file
description on the associated Download page:-

http://www.filefront.com/15104855/Borderlands-Retail-Patch-v.-1.10/

However the file available for download from this page is actually:-

borderlands_dlc1_worldwide.zip.... the 'Zombie Island' DLC file....

AND

http://www.filefront.com/15104857/Borderlands-Retail-Patch-v.-1.10-Censored/

Again, the actual file here available for download is:-

borderlands_dlc1_censored.zip

... the 'German version' of the 'Zombie Island' DLC file.

So, for the moment, I suggest getting the appropriate V1.1.0 retail
UPDATE patch directly from the Gearbox website, even if you do not
intend to use any DLC with the game. It does fix some remaining bugs
besides enabling the game for DLC.

John Lewis

Nostromo

Dec 11, 2009, 3:25:28 AM12/11/09
Thus spake john...@verizon.net (John Lewis), Fri, 11 Dec 2009 04:29:21 GMT,
Anno Domini:

<snip>

>So, for the moment, I suggest getting the appropriate V1.1.0 retail
>UPDATE patch directly from the Gearbox website, even if you do not
>intend to use any DLC with the game. It does fix some remaining bugs
>besides enabling the game for DLC.

BUT, what about the 2 most important questions:

1. are the bug fixes all free or only part of the DLC?

2. where's the URL for the cracked version...? <EG> *duck*

--
Nostromo

John Lewis

Dec 11, 2009, 2:48:58 PM12/11/09
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:25:28 +1100, Nostromo <nos...@forme.org> wrote:

>Thus spake john...@verizon.net (John Lewis), Fri, 11 Dec 2009 04:29:21 GMT,
>Anno Domini:
>
><snip>
>>So, for the moment, I suggest getting the appropriate V1.1.0 retail
>>UPDATE patch directly from the Gearbox website, even if you do not
>>intend to use any DLC with the game. It does fix some remaining bugs
>>besides enabling the game for DLC.
>
>BUT, what about the 2 most important questions:
>
>1. are the bug fixes all free or only part of the DLC?

Well, the PATCH V1.1.0 is certainly free.

Whether V1.1.0 DLC1 (Zombie) contains any ADDITIONALbug-fixes FOR THE
ORIGINAL GAME is really your question.... Your guess is as good as
mine.

>2. where's the URL for the cracked version...? <EG> *duck*

Ah, yes. Once a free-loader, always a free-loader. Thanks to people
like you we now have single-player PC games with on-line
authentication-DRM. You must be very proud indeed of yourself and your
positive contribution to the usefulness of legitimately purchased PC
games and their renters - once known as "owners", but with no control
on the lifetime of authentication servers, "renters" seems to be a
much better title.

John Lewis

>--
>Nostromo

Nostromo

Dec 11, 2009, 8:21:22 PM12/11/09
Thus spake john...@verizon.net (John Lewis), Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:48:58 GMT,
Anno Domini:

I say, I say booooy, that was a JOKE soooon!!! ;-p

--
Nostromo