Indy Fate of Atlantis..Help Please...SPOILER

Mad

Jan 31, 2001, 10:47:45 PM1/31/01
Hi.
I am desperate for help - please see below......
l am in the map room [Crete] and for the first time I now have to use all
three "stones" on a spindle.
I have tried every combination I can think of that might satisfy the
description given in the Lost Dialogue of Plato but no luck. I have also
searched out several walkthroughs - including UHS hints - but nowhere can I
find the exact position for these stones.
I am going quietly insane !!

PLEASE can anyone give me the solution ??????????

Cheers.

Mad.

Steve Hilberg

Feb 1, 2001, 10:28:17 AM2/1/01

What does Plato's dialogue say about the entrance to Atlantis? I don't
remember.

--
Steve Hilberg <Necromancer> CCSO Workstation Support Group
<hil...@uiuc.edu> KB9TEV

Matt Lucas

Feb 1, 2001, 11:44:41 AM2/1/01

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Mad wrote:

> l am in the map room [Crete] and for the first time I now have to use all
> three "stones" on a spindle.

If its any consolation I had exactly the same problem... Had to give up
with the game in the end. :-(

Matt

Steve Hilberg

Feb 1, 2001, 12:06:14 PM2/1/01

Ack! That's a crying shame! The game is probably one of the BEST adventure
games ever made. Go back and play it for cryin' out loud. It's not that
hard to figure it out, relaly, and there's numerous hints and walkthroughs
on the web now I'm sure.

Gerhard J. Woeginger

Feb 1, 2001, 1:09:52 PM2/1/01
In article <lgfe6.822$H51....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> hil...@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Hilberg) writes:
>Subject: Re: Indy Fate of Atlantis..Help Please...SPOILER
>From: hil...@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Hilberg)
>Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:28:17 GMT

>"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>>Hi.
>>I am desperate for help - please see below......

>>l am in the map room [Crete] and for the first time I now have to use all
>>three "stones" on a spindle.
>>I have tried every combination I can think of that might satisfy the
>>description given in the Lost Dialogue of Plato but no luck. I have also
>>searched out several walkthroughs - including UHS hints - but nowhere can I
>>find the exact position for these stones.
>>I am going quietly insane !!

>>PLEASE can anyone give me the solution ??????????

>What does Plato's dialogue say about the entrance to Atlantis? I don't
>remember.

Plato's dialogue says "Entrance will only be granted to opposing minds"
(or something similar). Sooooo, what may "opposing" mean for the setting of
the three stone disks?

Gerhard J. Woeginger (gwo...@opt.math.tu-graz.ac.at)

Rikard Peterson

Feb 1, 2001, 12:55:35 PM2/1/01
Gerhard J. Woeginger <gwo...@opt.math.tu-graz.ac.at> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:gwoegi.26...@opt.math.tu-graz.ac.at.

> In article <lgfe6.822$H51....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>
hil...@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Hilberg) writes:
> >"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> >> Hi.
> >> I am desperate for help - please see below......
> >>

> >> l am in the map room [Crete] and for the first time I now have to
> >> use all three "stones" on a spindle.
> >> I have tried every combination I can think of that might satisfy
> >> the description given in the Lost Dialogue of Plato but no luck. I
> >> have also searched out several walkthroughs - including UHS hints -
> >> but nowhere can I find the exact position for these stones.
> >> I am going quietly insane !!
>
> >> PLEASE can anyone give me the solution ??????????
>
> > What does Plato's dialogue say about the entrance to Atlantis? I
> > don't remember.
>
> Plato's dialogue says "Entrance will only be granted to opposing
> minds" (or something similar). Sooooo, what may "opposing" mean for
> the setting of the three stone disks?

That you have to think opposite to what you did the last time. Instead
of night, you put it to day and so on...

/ Rikard

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 2:07:26 PM2/1/01

Rikard Peterson wrote in message <95c7qa$g7ugl$1...@ID-26593.news.dfncis.de>...

>Gerhard J. Woeginger <gwo...@opt.math.tu-graz.ac.at> skrev i
>diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:gwoegi.26...@opt.math.tu-graz.ac.at.
>> In article <lgfe6.822$H51....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>
>hil...@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Hilberg) writes:
>>
>> > What does Plato's dialogue say about the entrance to Atlantis? I
>> > don't remember.
>>
>> Plato's dialogue says "Entrance will only be granted to opposing
>> minds" (or something similar). Sooooo, what may "opposing" mean for
>> the setting of the three stone disks?
>
>That you have to think opposite to what you did the last time. Instead
>of night, you put it to day and so on...
>
>/ Rikard

Hi again.

Yes. I do realise that but I foolishly didn't make a note of how I
positioned the first two stones when I used them and although I have now
tried various combinations that I thought would be "opposites" for those
previous positions, none of them have worked

AND, I have been unable to find any walkthrough that actually tells you
exactly how to place the stones.
[I played this game years ago when it was first out but didn't make any
notes then, either, so I'm really fed up about that !!]
I suppose I could try reloading saved games and make notes of what I
do.........(sigh)......and then hope I can work out what to do with all
three.........

Cheers.

Mad.

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 2:08:38 PM2/1/01

Matt Lucas wrote in message ...

Matt !!

Don't give up !! I'm not going to !! There's a whole terrific chunk of
game once past this point.
Play it again :-D

Cheers.

Mad.

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 2:38:17 PM2/1/01
"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi again.
>
> Yes. I do realise that but I foolishly didn't make a note of how I
> positioned the first two stones when I used them and although I have now
> tried various combinations that I thought would be "opposites" for those
> previous positions, none of them have worked
>
> AND, I have been unable to find any walkthrough that actually tells you
> exactly how to place the stones.
> [I played this game years ago when it was first out but didn't make any
> notes then, either, so I'm really fed up about that !!]
> I suppose I could try reloading saved games and make notes of what I
> do.........(sigh)......and then hope I can work out what to do with all
> three.........
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mad.

I'm not sure whether the puzzle is different every time you load
the game. You should be able to solve the sunstone/moonstone
puzzle by brute force though. I did after what I thought would be
the correct answer didn't work. The puzzle with 3 stones took
a lot longer because I didn't realize you could orient what you
were looking at by the nick in the stone.

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 3:44:49 PM2/1/01

Jenny100 wrote in message <95cduq$gbg$1...@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>...

>"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>I'm not sure whether the puzzle is different every time you load
>the game. You should be able to solve the sunstone/moonstone
>puzzle by brute force though. I did after what I thought would be
>the correct answer didn't work. The puzzle with 3 stones took
>a lot longer because I didn't realize you could orient what you
>were looking at by the nick in the stone.

I'm going to persevere Jenny - brute force if necessary :-D
[I wouldn't have thought the puzzle would be different every time - but you
never know !!]
Cheers.
Mad.

Jenny100

Feb 1, 2001, 4:06:46 PM2/1/01
"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I'm not sure if it is or not, but that would explain why nobody posts
an exact solution. The puzzle with all 3 stones seemed to be
different every time - at least the solution you find on the wall
of that lava room was different every time I replayed the room.
That lava room took me longer than anywhere else in the game
to get through.

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 4:24:28 PM2/1/01

Jenny100 wrote in message <95cj5t$vjk$2...@slb2.atl.mindspring.net>...

>"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Jenny100 wrote in message <95cduq$gbg$1...@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>...
>> >"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >>
>> >I'm not sure whether the puzzle is different every time you load
>> >the game. You should be able to solve the sunstone/moonstone
>> >puzzle by brute force though. I did after what I thought would be
>> >the correct answer didn't work. The puzzle with 3 stones took
>> >a lot longer because I didn't realize you could orient what you
>> >were looking at by the nick in the stone.
>>
>> I'm going to persevere Jenny - brute force if necessary :-D
>> [I wouldn't have thought the puzzle would be different every time - but
>you
>> never know !!]
>> Cheers.
>> Mad.
>
>I'm not sure if it is or not, but that would explain why nobody posts
>an exact solution. The puzzle with all 3 stones seemed to be
>different every time - at least the solution you find on the wall
>of that lava room was different every time I replayed the room.
>That lava room took me longer than anywhere else in the game
>to get through.

Well, like I said - I'm going to persevere...whatever... :-D
I've never forgotten how much I enjoyed this game 1st time around !!
Cheers.
Mad.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:29:54 PM2/1/01
Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I got completely stuck on that part too Mad. The only way I solved it was
trying every combination. You can solve it that way, but it takes time and
you have to write down every combination you tried. But eventually it works.
Those damn stones in that game drove me nuts. But I loved the game just the
same. It remains one of my faves.

You will get past that part Mad. Keep going.
I'm surprised you didn't play the game long ago. Its one of the best.

MaryJ

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 5:43:03 PM2/1/01
Hi again.

Done it !!

Doesn't make any sense to me in supposedly "fitting the Dialogue" but I've
copied down what I did just in case next time I play it IS the same. Who
knows ??

Cheers.

Mad.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 5:59:53 PM2/1/01
Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Good for you Mad. How did you finally solve it? trial and error?

MaryJ

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 10:12:19 PM2/1/01

>I got completely stuck on that part too Mad. The only way I solved it was
>trying every combination. You can solve it that way, but it takes time and
>you have to write down every combination you tried. But eventually it
works.
>Those damn stones in that game drove me nuts. But I loved the game just the
>same. It remains one of my faves.
>
>You will get past that part Mad. Keep going.
>I'm surprised you didn't play the game long ago. Its one of the best.
>
>MaryJ

Hi MaryJ.

How are you ?

I DID play this game when it first came out but never wrote down the stone
combinations :-(
However, as you will see from my other post, I have cracked it at last - and
written it down this time JUST IN CASE Hehehe !!

Cheers.

Mad.

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 10:12:58 PM2/1/01

MaryJ wrote in message ...

Yep :-D

Cheers.

Mad.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 10:23:03 PM2/1/01

> >I got completely stuck on that part too Mad. The only way I solved it was
> >trying every combination. You can solve it that way, but it takes time
and
> >you have to write down every combination you tried. But eventually it
> works.
> >Those damn stones in that game drove me nuts. But I loved the game just
the
> >same. It remains one of my faves.
> >
> >You will get past that part Mad. Keep going.
> >I'm surprised you didn't play the game long ago. Its one of the best.
> >
> >MaryJ
>
> Hi MaryJ.
>
> How are you ?

Fine, glad to see you are still into games. I know how much you love them.

> I DID play this game when it first came out but never wrote down the stone
> combinations :-(
> However, as you will see from my other post, I have cracked it at last -
and
> written it down this time JUST IN CASE Hehehe !!

I'm not sure its the same every time though. I played that game twice but it
was quite a while ago. Actually I played all three paths, but I liked the
one with Sophia the best by far. I remember about the stones that were the
last ones in the game I think - was that the ones about in the lava place? I
was stuck for a long time then somebody gave me a clue about the drawing in
the lava room and I couldn't believe I missed it after being there for days.
That was what I needed - the drawing from the lava room was correct for the
stones formation and I finally got unstuck. At that time the game was not
that long out and many people were playing it, which makes it more fun in a
way, but still its a very good game. One of the classics.

Are you finished the game yet? I thought the lava part was near the end?

MaryJ

Mad

Feb 1, 2001, 10:51:32 PM2/1/01

MaryJ wrote in message <6Jpe6.8932$Oe.4...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...

>Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>Are you finished the game yet? I thought the lava part was near the end?
>
>MaryJ

Hi.

No, the Lava room is way ahead of me yet - I was only in the map room on
Crete when I got stuck. [The first place where you have to use all three
stones.]

Cheers.

Mad.

MaryJ

Feb 1, 2001, 10:47:46 PM2/1/01
Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Well, enjoy replaying the game Mad as I'm sure you will.-:)

MaryJ

Rikard Peterson

Feb 2, 2001, 6:30:19 AM2/2/01
Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:95co1n$hjl$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Hi again.
>
> Done it !!

:-)

> Doesn't make any sense to me in supposedly "fitting the Dialogue"
> but I've copied down what I did just in case next time I play it IS
> the same. Who knows ??

I don't know, but it seems likely that is different every time you start
a new game.

> Cheers.
>
> Mad.

Could you post the description in Plato's book, together with the
solution, so we can try to get some sense out of it? (I don't have it
installed anymore, so I can't check the game without replaying from the
beginning...)

/ Rikard

J.L.

Feb 2, 2001, 6:37:28 AM2/2/01
Hi!
I've read that you already solved the puzzle, but just for the sake of
argument, what did exactly say on Plato's Lost Dialogue?
There's been a long time since I've played this game, but I remember that I
didn't have to resort to trial and error, I mean, there has to be a logical
way to solve it. Other thing I remember though, is that in Crete you have to
put the stone the way it says in the dialogue, and that the "contrary minds"
part is not in Crete, but on the entrance to Atlantis itself (in an
underground chamber, next to a statue by a closed door), so maybe you were
trying to apply "contrary minds" where they weren't necessary...

Joana

"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

J.L.

Feb 2, 2001, 8:01:50 AM2/2/01
Or maybe you could send us a savegame, so we could try to solve it.

Joana

"Rikard Peterson" <trumg...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Stuart Dollar

Feb 2, 2001, 10:37:55 AM2/2/01
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:30:19 +0100, "Rikard Peterson"
<trumg...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i
>diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:95co1n$hjl$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Hi again.
>>
>> Done it !!
>
>:-)
>
>> Doesn't make any sense to me in supposedly "fitting the Dialogue"
>> but I've copied down what I did just in case next time I play it IS
>> the same. Who knows ??
>
>I don't know, but it seems likely that is different every time you start
>a new game.

I've played the game twice (second time within the past month). This
part isn't random, IIRC.

And it isn't hard, if you take the stuff in the Lost Dialogue and
interpret it correctly.

Stu

Mad

Feb 2, 2001, 4:59:50 PM2/2/01

Stuart Dollar wrote in message ...

>On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:30:19 +0100, "Rikard Peterson"
><trumg...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>>Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i
>>diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:95co1n$hjl$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

>I've played the game twice (second time within the past month). This
>part isn't random, IIRC.
>
>And it isn't hard, if you take the stuff in the Lost Dialogue and
>interpret it correctly.
>
>Stu

Hi.

I think puzzles being considered easy or hard is relative to how a person
thinks though, don't you ?
I can whiz through some types of puzzles that another person might find
annoying and yet, on the other hand, become completely bogged down with
others that may be no problem to someone else.

I'm just glad I've done it now !! ;-D

Cheers.

Mad.

Mad

Feb 2, 2001, 5:57:26 PM2/2/01
For those who asked, I have set out below, the Plato paragraph and the stone
settings that complied.

Cheers.

Mad.

PLATO PARA :
To approach Atlantis itself a Worldstone was required as well, with the
moon, full of beauty unrivalled, lighting the city.

Treating the stones as 3 circles - outer, middle and inner - and listing the
positions per stone as clockwise (starting at 12 o'clock respectively).

SOLUTION
Outer........setting sun..........darkness..........rising
sun................noon sun.
Middle......waxing moon......full moon..........waning moon........ new
moon
Inner.........west sea..............city...................east
sea..................volcano

Arne

Feb 1, 2001, 5:14:25 PM2/1/01
As far as I remember the solution changes each time you play the game...

Arne

J.L.

Feb 2, 2001, 7:34:39 PM2/2/01
Hi Mad!
Thanks! But there are hints missing for the puzzle... What did the
paragraphs regarding the other stones say? You only transcribed the
Worldstone paragraph.

Joana

"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Mike Ching

Feb 2, 2001, 7:56:44 PM2/2/01

I wonder if aligning darkness, full moon and city in another position would
also work. There doesn't seem to be anything requiring the 3 o'clock
position and I vaguely remember aligning at 12 o'clock.

Mad

Feb 2, 2001, 9:31:45 PM2/2/01

Mike Ching wrote in message ...
>I wonder if aligning darkness, full moon and city in another position would
>also work. There doesn't seem to be anything requiring the 3 o'clock
>position and I vaguely remember aligning at 12 o'clock.

Hi Mike.

I don't know. I suppose I could reload the relevant save game and try it.
I'll try and remember :-)

Cheers.

Mad.

Mad

Feb 2, 2001, 10:15:20 PM2/2/01

J.L. wrote in message <981160102.108026@news>...

>Hi Mad!
>Thanks! But there are hints missing for the puzzle... What did the
>paragraphs regarding the other stones say? You only transcribed the
>Worldstone paragraph.
>
>Joana

Hi

Here you go then.......

The clue for the Sunstone alone :
At many outposts, a Sunstone sufficed, if sunset made the tall horns red.

And later - adding the Moonstone :
At the Greater Colony a Moonstone was also needed, with darkest night healed
by the full moon.

Then when you use all three for the first time :

To approach Atlantis itself a Worldstone was required as well, with the
moon, full of beauty unrivalled, lighting the city.

Cheers.

Mad.

Stuart Dollar

Feb 3, 2001, 12:32:38 AM2/3/01
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:59:50 -0000, "Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I think puzzles being considered easy or hard is relative to how a person
>thinks though, don't you ?
>I can whiz through some types of puzzles that another person might find
>annoying and yet, on the other hand, become completely bogged down with
>others that may be no problem to someone else.

Well, I did include a big "IF" there. If you read the Lost Dialogue
portion that deals with it, and figure out what they mean by
opposites...it's not as tough as some of the others in the game. :-)

(I for one, spent hours trying to make it through that freaking bit at
the end in the inner circle in the lava room, and I was even worse at
it the FIRST time I played it).

But at least, with regards to the stone puzzle, there are written
clues, helpful, or as unhelpful as they may be...some of the others, I
tore my hair out for days.

Enjoy it. Fate of Atlantis is still one of my favorites, despite its
age.

Stu

Rikard Peterson

Feb 3, 2001, 5:55:32 AM2/3/01
Mad <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:95fsdg$3qc$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Here you go then.......

OK, let's see...

> The clue for the Sunstone alone :
> At many outposts, a Sunstone sufficed, if sunset made the tall horns
> red.

= Sunset on top, by the horn things.

> And later - adding the Moonstone :
> At the Greater Colony a Moonstone was also needed, with darkest night
> healed by the full moon.

= Full moon next to night.

> Then when you use all three for the first time :
> To approach Atlantis itself a Worldstone was required as well, with
the
> moon, full of beauty unrivalled, lighting the city.

= Full moon next to city. And these settings match the settings you
described.

> Cheers.
>
> Mad.

/ Rikard

J.L.

Feb 3, 2001, 12:33:23 PM2/3/01
I don't think that any other position would work. Like Rikard said, the
sunstone's position is defined by the tall horns, and the moonstone is
aligned relative to the sunstone and the worldstone relative to the
moonstone. So there's only one possible solution. And as far as I remember,
it does change every time you start a new game...

Joana

"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Mad

Feb 3, 2001, 1:27:11 PM2/3/01

Rikard Peterson wrote in message <95gnun$gltql$1...@ID-26593.news.dfncis.de>...

Hi.

Hehehe !!
Easy to see it "after the event". Didn't find it easy at the time I was
trying to do it though !!
[Must just have been having one of my many fits of brainlessness ;-D]

Cheers.

Mad.

Mike Ching

Feb 4, 2001, 10:26:05 AM2/4/01

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 17:33:23 -0000, J.L. <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>I don't think that any other position would work. Like Rikard said, the
>sunstone's position is defined by the tall horns, and the moonstone is
>aligned relative to the sunstone and the worldstone relative to the
>moonstone. So there's only one possible solution. And as far as I remember,
>it does change every time you start a new game...
>
>Joana

Chalk it up to a faulty memory. I even have two copies of the game because I
forgot I had already played it.

Law

Feb 9, 2001, 12:44:22 AM2/9/01
Steve Hilberg wrote:

> Ack! That's a crying shame! The game is probably one of the BEST adventure
> games ever made. Go back and play it for cryin' out loud. It's not that
> hard to figure it out, relaly, and there's numerous hints and walkthroughs
> on the web now I'm sure.

Fate of Atlantis really is one of the best LA adv. game ever, but replay it few
days ago in talkie version(at last). the game still look pretty good. even the
dialog speech is not as good as the later LA game.

i remember i can play through the whole game w/o any hint the 1st. but now this
time i get stomp on few place. may i am really getting old :)

in gameplay wise it is still one of the best.

--
Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous

Law

Feb 9, 2001, 12:49:17 AM2/9/01
MaryJ wrote:

> I'm not sure its the same every time though. I played that game twice but it
> was quite a while ago. Actually I played all three paths, but I liked the
> one with Sophia the best by far. I remember about the stones that were the
> last ones in the game I think - was that the ones about in the lava place? I

[snip]

the hide in plain sigh in lava room really is a killer ,

i don't see it at all the 1st around and end up try all the combo. for the
stone. to get part that part. until i read back some walkthrough i just get no
idea what i miss and blame LA for that design, stupid me.