Dark Forces Missing Cutscene

Neil Swanston

Apr 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/4/95
Does anyone know how to edit the DF files so as to include the missing
cutscene from the demo in the real thing ? I'm talking here about the
extra cutscene in the demo where Kyle straps on his guns and ammo, that
seems to have gone astray from the final product.

I assume you would have to have everything installed on Hard Disk and
copy the arming up .LFD to the same LFD dir as every other .LFD, but
then again, maybe you could include a directory definition and take it
from the DEMO dir on the CD...?

I honestly don't know.

Any thoughts on this matter ?

Neil.

"Chaos by name - Chaos by nature - Such is the way of Research."
Neil Swanston : ph...@phy.hw.ac.uk

accf6

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
You sound like you know quite a bit about the game. . . Are you planning
on making a level editor?

On the same note, is anyone? I hear a lot of people saying that there will
be level editors, like DOOM, but I haven't heard anyone say that they are.
It would sure set my mind at ease if I knew that there were people out
there working on it. I'd do it, but I don't know how and can't program
(oh, what a weak excuse! :) ).

In article <3ls8nv$f...@news.csus.edu>, nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) says:

>I did this. Here's what I did:
>
>1. Copy GEARUP.LFD to your DARK\LFD\ directory on your HD. Get this
> file from the demo directory on the CDROM.
>
>2. Use ungob.exe to extract DARK.GOB into a temp dir. The file you need
> is CUTSCENE.LST.
>
>3. Copy CUTSCENE.LST to your DARK directory.
>4. Edit CUTSCENE.LST to include GEARUP.LFD in the opening animations.
>
>The relevent lines look like this in CUTSCENE.LST:
>
>41: gearup.lfd gearup 6 42 0 0 110
>42: darklogo.lfd darklogo 7 0 0 0 110
>
>You do not have to have everything installed on the hard disk to do this.
>Just GEARUP.LFD, and the CUTSCENE.LST file in your DARK directory.
>
>This works like a charm! You get back that cut scene and it fits in well.
>Apparently LA just replaced that one with the darklogo scene. Now I'm
>wondering how it would be to snag some of the .LFD files from X-wing and
>TIE and put them in CUTSCENE.LST...
>
>-Neal
>

>Neil Swanston (ph...@phy.hw.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Does anyone know how to edit the DF files so as to include the missing

>--
># $Id: dot.signature,v 1.1 1995/02/11 02:28:11 nwestfal Exp $
>
>Neal Westfall nwes...@csci.csusb.edu
>FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Fri Feb 10 23:31:36 1995
> ro...@darkside.csci.csusb.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/DARKSIDE
>CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU) Id = 0x435 Origin = "GenuineIntel"

Neal Westfall

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
accf6 (sva...@hawk.anselm.edu) wrote:
: You sound like you know quite a bit about the game. . . Are you planning

: on making a level editor?

I'm looking into it. The file structure is easy enough (it's all straight
text!). However, I'm new to writing this sort of editor myself, so I have
to figure out how to implement some kind of map. I was thinking of using DCK
as a model. However, I think I might try writing a windows program.

: On the same note, is anyone? I hear a lot of people saying that there will

: be level editors, like DOOM, but I haven't heard anyone say that they are.
: It would sure set my mind at ease if I knew that there were people out
: there working on it. I'd do it, but I don't know how and can't program
: (oh, what a weak excuse! :) ).

I'd also be interested in knowing who else is working on this. Also, does
anyone know the command line option to load an external GOB file?

Eric Tavares

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In <3ls8nv$f...@news.csus.edu> nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) writes:

>I did this. Here's what I did:

>1. Copy GEARUP.LFD to your DARK\LFD\ directory on your HD. Get this
> file from the demo directory on the CDROM.

>2. Use ungob.exe to extract DARK.GOB into a temp dir. The file you need
> is CUTSCENE.LST.

>3. Copy CUTSCENE.LST to your DARK directory.
>4. Edit CUTSCENE.LST to include GEARUP.LFD in the opening animations.

Where do I find ungob.exe? This file doesn't seem to be on the CD.
thanks,
Eric

Karsten Loepelmann

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) writes:
>I'd also be interested in knowing who else is working on this. Also, does
>anyone know the command line option to load an external GOB file?

Start up DF like this
dark -u<name>
where <name> is a user-created .GOB file.
--
Karsten A. Loepelmann, Master of his domain (*psychology*, that is :-)
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Jon Osborn

Apr 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/9/95
kloe...@gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Karsten Loepelmann) writes:

what program a you using to make .gob file? If it is on the net where is it.
I am very in an editor if one exists.
Jon

Bryan Bolich

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) wrote:

> I did this. Here's what I did:
>
> 1. Copy GEARUP.LFD to your DARK\LFD\ directory on your HD. Get this
> file from the demo directory on the CDROM.
>
> 2. Use ungob.exe to extract DARK.GOB into a temp dir. The file you need
^^^^^^^^^

Ok, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot....But where can I find the
file ungob.exe. Please post or e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Neal Westfall

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95

: Ok, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot....But where can I find the

: file ungob.exe. Please post or e-mail.

Ok folks, I've put ungob.zip on the following sites:

ftp://ftp.wpi.edu/starwars/Incoming (probably cant get to this)
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/games/incoming
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/DARKFORCES

It includes the modified CUTSCENE.LST file to make the missing cutscene
work.

Neal Westfall

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95
: >I'd also be interested in knowing who else is working on this. Also, does

: >anyone know the command line option to load an external GOB file?

: Start up DF like this
: dark -u<name>
: where <name> is a user-created .GOB file.

Thanks. BTW, when is the next version of the FAQ coming out?

Karsten Loepelmann

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95
jos...@quapaw.astate.edu (Jon Osborn) writes:
>kloe...@gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Karsten Loepelmann) writes:
>>nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) writes:
>>>I'd also be interested in knowing who else is working on this. Also, does
>>>anyone know the command line option to load an external GOB file?
>>Start up DF like this
>> dark -u<name>
>>where <name> is a user-created .GOB file.
>what program a you using to make .gob file? If it is on the net where is it.
>I am very in an editor if one exists.

Sorry, no DF editor yet, although a few people are reportedly working on it :)
KAL

Karsten Loepelmann

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95
nwes...@silicon.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall) writes:
>Thanks. BTW, when is the next version of the FAQ coming out?

Version 2.10 has been released (full secrets!). Incremental updates are
forthcoming (no release date yet ;-)