Re: Good flight stick games?

Message has been deleted

PW

Jun 11, 2015, 11:53:16 AM6/11/15
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:02:01 -0500, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I recently purchased a flight stick, because I have Star Wars Starfighter
>in my backlog, and I was thinking of revisiting Freespace 2.
>
>Are there any recent games for flight sticks that I may be missing? It's
>been a long time since I checked in on flying/space games, and I'm
>thinking I want to do that kind of gaming again.
>
>Thanks.

*----

I have a set of CH Fighter Stick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and flight
yoke that have all been just sitting around since the demise of flight
sims :-( I miss those glory days!

I keep looking at the Thrustmaster WartHog stuff but why? I do have
the A-10 sim but it is so complicated, and old now.

-pw

William McNee

Jun 11, 2015, 1:26:23 PM6/11/15
On 11/06/2015 02:02, Zaghadka wrote:
> I recently purchased a flight stick, because I have Star Wars Starfighter
> in my backlog, and I was thinking of revisiting Freespace 2.
>
> Are there any recent games for flight sticks that I may be missing? It's
> been a long time since I checked in on flying/space games, and I'm
> thinking I want to do that kind of gaming again.
>
> Thanks.

Elite Dangerous.
I bought a Saitek x55 Rhino just for this and it works a treat. More
buttons and pressy things that I know what to do with

Tim O

Jun 11, 2015, 9:34:09 PM6/11/15
wrote:

>I recently purchased a flight stick, because I have Star Wars Starfighter
>in my backlog, and I was thinking of revisiting Freespace 2.
>
>Are there any recent games for flight sticks that I may be missing? It's
>been a long time since I checked in on flying/space games, and I'm
>thinking I want to do that kind of gaming again.
>
>Thanks.

Rise Of Flight and DCS World if you want deeper sims... I purchased
all the DCS World stuff, but there is some free content if I remember
correctly.

Rise Of Flight is a World War I sim, I haven't played it a lot
recently, but still get emails about updates and new planes on a
regular basis.

PW

Jun 19, 2015, 12:19:29 PM6/19/15
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:34:09 -0400, Tim O <timo56...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
*---

Me neither. I don't think I've even booted it up. I keep forgetting
about it. I did like that WW1 sim that came out in the late 90's,
early 2000s but it was so frustrating and full of bugs that I sort of
felt bad for the developer (Rowan, I think). It had such potential
and great graphics.

-pw

Tim O

Jun 19, 2015, 5:09:35 PM6/19/15
Flying Corps? I played that one a lot... That might be the most
patched game in history, and the worst implemented. I think if you did
an install, you had to apply the first 10 or so patches incrementally.

That was back in the day when the developers would post on usenet, God
did they take a beating. I don't think it was all fixed with promised
3dfx support until the "Gold" release.

PW

Jun 19, 2015, 6:13:22 PM6/19/15

>Flying Corps? I played that one a lot... That might be the most
>patched game in history, and the worst implemented. I think if you did
>an install, you had to apply the first 10 or so patches incrementally.
>
>That was back in the day when the developers would post on usenet, God
>did they take a beating. I don't think it was all fixed with promised
>3dfx support until the "Gold" release.

*---

Good memory Tim!

Yes they did take a beating. I used to call it Flying "Corpse" :-)

When it worked it was a beautiful and real flight sim. At least they
tried to get it right but never did.

What was the name of the other WW1 flight sim that I played? I am
sure you did too. Red Baron or something like that?

I need to take the time and try ROF. Make some room on my desk for my
CH stuff or just try a gamepad or the CH Flight Yoke.

-pw

Tim O

Jun 20, 2015, 8:51:38 AM6/20/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:13:22 -0600, PW
<emailad...@ifIremember.com> wrote:

>Good memory Tim!
>
>Yes they did take a beating. I used to call it Flying "Corpse" :-)
>
>When it worked it was a beautiful and real flight sim. At least they
>tried to get it right but never did.
>
>What was the name of the other WW1 flight sim that I played? I am
>sure you did too. Red Baron or something like that?
>
>I need to take the time and try ROF. Make some room on my desk for my
>CH stuff or just try a gamepad or the CH Flight Yoke.
>
>-pw

Yes, Red Baron came out before Flying Corps. I think that one also got
a community update which added a lot of planes and features a few
years back.

I just tried looking up the name of that update and found that there
appears to be a new one that was Greenlit on Steam.
http://www.redbarongame.com/

Before Red Baron, I played an Origin game called Wings Of Glory and
loved it. It was along the lines of Strike Commander and Pacific
Strike, basically an arcade/sim with twisty soap opera story. Good
stuff.

PW

Jun 21, 2015, 10:18:58 PM6/21/15
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:51:38 -0400, Tim O <timo56...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
*----

I will buy it if it makes it Tim!

-pw

Ross Ridge

Jun 22, 2015, 3:51:08 PM6/22/15
Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Are there any recent games for flight sticks that I may be missing? It's
>been a long time since I checked in on flying/space games, and I'm
>thinking I want to do that kind of gaming again.

A bit outside-the-box suggestion is one of the Mechwarrior games. I used
to play them with a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. Mechwarrior 4 was
apparently released for free a few years back, though now its apparently
hard to find.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

PW

Jun 22, 2015, 6:41:48 PM6/22/15
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:40:59 -0400, Ross Ridge
<rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Are there any recent games for flight sticks that I may be missing? It's
>>been a long time since I checked in on flying/space games, and I'm
>>thinking I want to do that kind of gaming again.
>
>A bit outside-the-box suggestion is one of the Mechwarrior games. I used
>to play them with a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. Mechwarrior 4 was
>apparently released for free a few years back, though now its apparently
>hard to find.
>
> Ross Ridge

*----

The twist really made that stick worth well for the game. Not sure if
any these days do that any longer.

-pw
Message has been deleted