Fallout 3 Vista 64 won't run

sillyputty

Nov 15, 2008, 3:49:12 AM11/15/08
Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
and WinXP SP1 compatibility.

My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
Vista look like XP!).
--
You know you've had too much Christmas cheer when you ask for another
ice cube and put it in your pocket.

Nonymous

Nov 15, 2008, 5:45:40 AM11/15/08

"sillyputty" <karmic...@2die4.com> wrote in message

> Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
> start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
> and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>
> My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
> 350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
> video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
> Vista look like XP!).

Runs fine for me on my Vista 64-bit desktop, 4GB ram. Maybe your laptop's
video is missing some feature that the game requires?

ronald....@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2008, 6:26:50 AM11/15/08
On Nov 15, 5:45 am, "Nonymous" <no...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "sillyputty" <karmictara...@2die4.com> wrote in message

Get a better video card.

Memnoch

Nov 15, 2008, 6:38:32 AM11/15/08
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:49:12 -0800 (PST), sillyputty <karmic...@2die4.com>
wrote:

>Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
>start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
>and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>
>My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
>350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
>video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
>Vista look like XP!).

It runs fine for me on Vista Business x64 SP1.

Les Steel

Nov 15, 2008, 9:29:34 AM11/15/08
sillyputty said the following on 15/11/2008 08:49:

The graphics chipset isn't on the list of supported ones. From the readme:

3. System Requirements

-Minimum System Requirements:
* Windows XP/Vista
* 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
* 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or
better/ATI X850 or better)

-Recommended System Requirements:
* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2 GB System RAM
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM

-Supported Video Card Chipsets:
ATI HD 4800 series
ATI HD 4600 series
ATI HD 3800 series
ATI HD 3600 series
ATI HD 3400 series
ATI HD 2900 series
ATI HD 2600 series
ATI HD 2400 series
ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series

NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

--
Les

There is no chin behind Chuck Norris? beard. There is only another fist.

KCB

Nov 15, 2008, 11:35:39 AM11/15/08

"sillyputty" <karmic...@2die4.com> wrote in message

> Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
> start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
> and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>
> My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
> 350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
> video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
> Vista look like XP!).

It's not Vista, it's your video. There are no intel chipsets supported
in the official minimum requirements.

Here is an unofficial forum thread relating to that very issue:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=897491&st=0

and another one:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=896906&st=22

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Bethesda, or anybody else for that
matter, to get it working on such a lame video chipset. I hope you have
another computer you can play it on, or maybe you can sell it.

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 15, 2008, 2:18:31 PM11/15/08
Les Steel skrev:

> sillyputty said the following on 15/11/2008 08:49:
>> Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
>> start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
>> and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>>
>> My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
>> 350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
>> video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
>> Vista look like XP!).
>> --
>> You know you've had too much Christmas cheer when you ask for another
>> ice cube and put it in your pocket.
>>

> The graphics chipset isn't on the list of supported ones. From the readme:

...>

And that chipset wouldn't run Oblivion either.
--
Pibbur who realizes that not everyone would consider that a tragedy

John Lewis

Nov 15, 2008, 3:13:33 PM11/15/08
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:49:12 -0800 (PST), sillyputty
<karmic...@2die4.com> wrote:

965 chipset.................hahahahahahaha......

Intel can't design an integrated chipset/write a successful
3Ddriver... ever...

965 Vista (32) drivers and freezes/jerkiness in WoW....hahahahaha...

Compatibility with the latest 3D games....... virtually
non-existent....

And Intel is designing Larrabee to compete with nVidia and ATi......
.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

If you intend to play modern first-/third-person action-games on your
laptop, you need to trade it in pronto for one that uses the ATi 7xx
chipset, or better still the nVidia 9400M...

John Lewis

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 15, 2008, 4:20:15 PM11/15/08

John Lewis skrev:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:49:12 -0800 (PST), sillyputty
> <karmic...@2die4.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
>> start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
>> and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>>
>> My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
>> 350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
>> video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
>> Vista look like XP!).
>> --
>> You know you've had too much Christmas cheer when you ask for another
>> ice cube and put it in your pocket.
>>

> 965 chipset.................hahahahahahaha......
>
> Intel can't design an integrated chipset/write a successful
> 3Ddriver... ever...
>
> 965 Vista (32) drivers and freezes/jerkiness in WoW....hahahahaha...
>
> Compatibility with the latest 3D games....... virtually
> non-existent....

Just a few examples: "The Witcher", "Sacred 2", and if I'm allowed to
for a moment jump outside the RPG realm: "Bisoshock". Neither of these
support Intel graphics. And I would be very surprised if "Diablo 3" will.

Pibbur

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 15, 2008, 4:26:16 PM11/15/08

KCB skrev:

> "sillyputty" <karmic...@2die4.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone else having trouble running FO3 on Vista 64? I get as far as
>> start a new game and it crashes. Tried checking 'run as administrator'
>> and WinXP SP1 compatibility.
>>
>> My laptop doesn't have the greatest specs (Intel T5750, 4 gig RAM,
>> 350gig HD, Intel 965 Express chipset) but still should run on low
>> video settings. I set graphic settings for best performance (makes
>> Vista look like XP!).
>
> It's not Vista, it's your video. There are no intel chipsets supported
> in the official minimum requirements.
>
> Here is an unofficial forum thread relating to that very issue:
> http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=897491&st=0

That discussion is rather funny. Lots of posters claiming the lack of
support is a bug. Sadly, it's not.

> and another one:
> http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=896906&st=22
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Bethesda, or anybody else for that
> matter, to get it working on such a lame video chipset. I hope you have
> another computer you can play it on, or maybe you can sell it.

Amen.

--
Pibbur

neil.k...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2008, 11:25:23 AM11/17/08

It Crashes like mad on my new Dell quad core with 6 gb of RAM and
NVidia 9800 GT video card running Vista 64 bit. Runs fine on my laptop
running Vista 32 bit. I've tried every fix that's on the web to no
avail. It still crashes. Gives me a message that there's a problem
with the program. It's essentially unplayable on my new machine. There
are forums all over the place describing this problem. If you don't
have the game (which is great) I wouldn't get it until this problem is
resolved. While not everybody has it ,a lot do.

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 17, 2008, 1:08:21 PM11/17/08
neil.k...@gmail.com skrev:

Only in this case it won't be resolved (at least not by Bethsoft), since
the Intel chipset is officially not supported.

--
Pibbur

John Lewis

Nov 17, 2008, 11:13:10 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:25:23 -0800 (PST), neil.k...@gmail.com
wrote:

Er, there just might be a teeny weeny problem with Vista 64 and
drivers which FO3 is triggering.. First, try turning down the
graphics resolution using the magic preset buttons in the FO3 graphics
setup and see if the crashes persist.

Works just fine for me with XP-32/8800GT 512Meg, driver 178.24 in
Ultra on my X2 4400+/2Gbyte mem . However, if I manually try to
increase the anti-alias samples above the Ultra default, the game is
guaranteed to freeze when VATS is selected...

I assume the new Dell quad-core is a desktop. If so, you might want
to check the video driver version and download the latest from the
nVidia website. I don't think Dell uses custom-drivers with any of
their desktops.

John Lewis

WDS

Nov 17, 2008, 11:55:29 PM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 10:13 pm, john....@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
>  I assume the new Dell quad-core is a desktop. If so,  you might want
> to check the video driver version and download the latest from the
> nVidia website. I don't think Dell uses custom-drivers with any of
> their desktops.

Something else to do is turn off some of the desktop stuff. I had to
turn off the desktop sidebar because it "bled through" into Fallout
3. On some screens there was a flickering black rectangle on the
right edge of the screen that was suspiciously exactly the same size
as the windows sidebar. It did it on a couple of other games too so I
suspect some problem with the video.

I also had to back off on the latest video driver because it caused
all kinds of problems whenever the power settings blanked the screen.

JAB

Nov 18, 2008, 1:50:10 AM11/18/08
WDS wrote:
> Something else to do is turn off some of the desktop stuff. I had to
> turn off the desktop sidebar because it "bled through" into Fallout
> 3. On some screens there was a flickering black rectangle on the
> right edge of the screen that was suspiciously exactly the same size
> as the windows sidebar. It did it on a couple of other games too so I
> suspect some problem with the video.

Yep I get that when, I think, move the cursor to where the sidebar is.
Mine's not black though it's a semi-transparent flicking part of the
desktop background only where the sidebar is.