Fallout 4 crashing on start

Justisaur

Nov 21, 2015, 7:10:32 PM11/21/15
So I broke down and bought the game, but after waiting a day to download the 35gb of game, it just crashes after the screen where you can choose options every time. I've been fiddling with the resolution and pref files, but no luck so far.

I'm running win 8.1 if that makes any difference. I'm searching around, but it seems to be a common problem, with no necessarily always working fix.

- Justisaur

Justisaur

Nov 22, 2015, 1:15:18 AM11/22/15
About 4 hours of searching and troubleshooting. No luck so far. Found
some comments it won't work with the 200 series cards. Looks like I'll
be needing an upgrade after all, so won't be able to play it this week
while I'm off :(

- Justisaur

Trimble Bracegirdle

Nov 22, 2015, 10:31:54 PM11/22/15
Some times I find it won't start - just black screen with no loading.
Try starting the launcher & selecting the Pre Set quality 'Auto Detect'
maybe 2 or 3 times.
Sometimes it will start with the the 'Fallout4.exe' main exe & not from the
'Fallout4 Launcher.exe'
Mark them both as 'Run as Administrator' in there compatibility Tab.

Try repeatedly starting it from Launcher then main exe then launcher again
then main exe etc. etc.
until it runs.
Get latest Video Driver.
Both ATI & Nvidia have released ones optimized for Fallout 4 (they say)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse (Hmmm A Slightly Bad Bunny Methinks)

Justisaur

Nov 25, 2015, 11:14:04 PM11/25/15
On Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 7:31:54 PM UTC-8, Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> Some times I find it won't start - just black screen with no loading.
> Try starting the launcher & selecting the Pre Set quality 'Auto Detect'
> maybe 2 or 3 times.
> Sometimes it will start with the the 'Fallout4.exe' main exe & not from the
> 'Fallout4 Launcher.exe'
> Mark them both as 'Run as Administrator' in there compatibility Tab.

It showed up a small black window, then crashed somewhere between 1 second to 5 seconds later. I tried everything more than once, with no change.

Well I broke down and bought myself an MSI GTX 950 for $139. It works flawlessly with that card so far on ultra at my low low resolution of 1440x900. Even though I've only got 4gb of system ram.

I'd thought the card came with two dvi ports, but it's only got one, so I'll either have to get an HDMI monitor, or an adapter, which looks like it can be bought for less than $10 for my second monitor. It's also making a ton more noise than my old card.

On the game, I'm a bit irritated it defaults to controller mode (I've got an xbox controller hooked up). Also couldn't find much in the way of customization for the faces, I wanted to give my character a beard, but it looked like I had to choose the old man face to do that.

- Justisaur

Trimble Bracegirdle

Nov 26, 2015, 5:07:59 PM11/26/15
"<<<<bought myself an MSI GTX 950 for $139. It works flawlessly" >>
Should be fine . GTX 950 just about the same as my GTX 770
Theres a new patch 1.2.33.0.0 out for FALLOUT 4 might help.

I have installed the 'Fallout Texture Optimization' Mod
& it reduces the Video Card RAM used & improves the general look
at 'Low' settings.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse (My Whiskers Are Tangled With Twaddle Gum)

Justisaur

Nov 30, 2015, 12:49:28 PM11/30/15
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 2:07:59 PM UTC-8, Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> "<<<<bought myself an MSI GTX 950 for $139. It works flawlessly" >>
> Should be fine . GTX 950 just about the same as my GTX 770
> Theres a new patch 1.2.33.0.0 out for FALLOUT 4 might help.
>
> I have installed the 'Fallout Texture Optimization' Mod
> & it reduces the Video Card RAM used & improves the general look
> at 'Low' settings.

Still working pretty well, I haven't switched to even low graphics yet, though I did switch to medium after some issues. I get some slowness when it's obviously loading the textures when I look around quickly - which didn't happen when I was using the gamepad, as you can't look around that quickly with it. I'm almost tempted to go back to using the gamepad because of that, it seemed to play so much more smoothly, it's obviously optimized for gamepad use.

It also seems to have a memory leak or something, as I noticed it getting slower and slower, both to load/load areas and when looking around quickly. I think it's related to exiting the game, as I was doing that quite a bit, then relaunching, and eventually rebooted when it got well over a minute between loading new areas, which returned it to it's initial fairly quick response (about 7 seconds to load areas). I switched to just pausing the game and I haven't noticed it again, but it looks like if I do exit I'll have to reboot immediately.

I don't like the new critical method in VATS, I'll have to look for a patch for that. The Deathclaw off the bat is always giving me loads of trouble, and the fusion cores for the power armor is annoying, I can't even make it through the Deathclaw fight before it craps out.

After my usual smart character, and a stealth character both being too hard, I've settled on a dumb ugly melee type, and it's pretty good, the only thing that's really given me any trouble so far is the Deathclaw, one camp of Super-Mutants I decided to avoid after having to reload from getting blown up by a combination of a suicider and rocket launcher. That and picking up all the junk and buying things, I've found some armor at a couple merchants that would cost 20k caps! With a 2 Cha suit, 1 Cha hat, and a bottle of beer, it's down to 17k for each piece!

I'm also wondering how you increase your population at Sanctuary, though it looks like I don't have the Cha required for the Local Leader perk to make much use of the place anyway.

I'm quite enjoying the game, beyond the minor complaints.

- Justisaur