Troubleshooting Deus Ex

Jim

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
Deus Ex keeps bombing out on me at the end of the first scenario,
after I have captured the leader at the top of the Statue of liberty,
as I am descending into the lower levels of the HQ, as the game is
saving, I get dropped out with the error message:

Assertion Failed Inpos<=size[file blah blah\FfileManagerWindows.h]
Line 57

Then a lot more gobbledeegook

I have updated my video drivers (3dfx Voodoo3 2000), and my sound
drivers (SB Live! Platinum). I have 128mb RAM. I even tried to free
up additional resources with System Configuration Utility. Even with
95% of resources free I still get the same problem at the same point
in the game. Otherwise things seem to run fine.

Thanks for your help!
cars...@pacbell.net

Dibbler

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
It's hard to tell without the whole error message (or even with it), but you
might have a corrupt game file. Check for disk errors, then try
reinstalling the game.

"Jim" <cars...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Jim

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:50:24 +0200, Gerner Mortensen
<ge...@get2net.dk> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 12:18:24 -0700, Jim <cars...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>>Deus Ex keeps bombing out on me at the end of the first scenario,
>>after I have captured the leader at the top of the Statue of liberty,
>>as I am descending into the lower levels of the HQ, as the game is
>>saving, I get dropped out with the error message:
>>

>Is this in a window called "critical error" ?

>>Assertion Failed Inpos<=size[file blah blah\FfileManagerWindows.h]
>>Line 57
>>
>>Then a lot more gobbledeegook
>>

>What does the deusex.log say ?

With regards to the earlier post, I have installed it a couple of
times, and I keep getting the same error. I was particularly careful
this last time to defrag my hard drive before installing.

I loaded my old game and it played through the crash point (hurray!).
When I returned to the Island HQ after the warehouse it crashed again.
I guess I just have to reboot and reload every time. I'll be happy if
that works, but I've had trouble doing that before too.

I think it's just something screwy with my system, I should probably
wipe the disk and reinstall Windows.

The deusex.log says:

Log: Log file open, 08/06/00 18:31:07
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows 98 4.10 (Build: 67766446)
Init: Version: 400
Init: Compiled: Jun 7 2000 10:20:35
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory: C:\DEUSEX\SYSTEM\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Log: Bound to Engine.dll
Log: Bound to Core.dll
Log: Bound to Window.dll
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: Cd Path: E:\
Init: Computer: JIM
Init: User: Jim
Init: Memory total: Phys=130408K Pagef=1966740K Virt=2093056K
Init: Working set: 0 / 0
Init: CPU Speed=434.312015 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=1
Init: CPU Detected: PentiumPro-class processor (GenuineIntel)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX
Log: Bound to DeusEx.dll
Log: Bound to Extension.dll
Log: Bound to ConSys.dll
Log: Loading: Package DeusEx
Log: Loading: Package Core
Log: Loading: Package Engine
Log: Loading: Package Extension
Log: Loading: Package DeusExCharacters
Log: Loading: Package DeusExUI
Log: Loading: Package DeusExItems
Log: Loading: Package Effects
Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Loading: Package Fire
Log: Loading: Package ConSys
Log: Loading: Package DeusExSounds
Log: Loading: Package DeusExDeco
Log: Bound to DeusExText.dll
Log: Loading: Package DeusExText
Log: Loading: Package Ambient
Log: Loading: Package MoverSFX
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to WinDrv.dll
Init: Mouse info: 2 0 1
Init: Client initialized
Log: Bound to Render.dll
Log: Loading: Package Render
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: Entry
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Game class is 'DeusExGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame:
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: LoadMap: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Loading: Package DX
Log: Loading: Package Title_Music
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unloading: Package Render
Log: Garbage: objects: 25222->25216; refs: 273809
Log: Game class is 'DeusExGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level DX.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is DX.Mutator1
Init: Initialized moving brush tracker for Level DX.MyLevel
ScriptLog: Login: Player
Init: *** DEUS EX VERSION Wed Jun 7 10:20:10 2000 v1.002f ***
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: JCDentonMale DX.JCDentonMale0
ScriptLog: All inventory from Player is accepted
Init: Input system initialized for WindowsViewport0
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Bound to GlideDrv.dll
Init: Initializing Glide...
Init: Found Glide: 2.61.00.0613
Init: Glide info: Type=0, fbRam=12 fbiRev=69634 nTexelfx=2 Sli=0
Init: grSstOpen Res=7 Ref=6 Buffers=3
Init: Glide tmu 0: tmuRev=69634 tmuRam=2 Space=6633456
Init: Glide tmu 1: tmuRev=69634 tmuRam=2 Space=6633456
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 0
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 1
Log: Bound to Galaxy.dll
Init: Galaxy is using DirectSound
Init: EAX 1.x sound hardware found!
Init: Galaxy initialized
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Init: Game engine initialized
Log: Startup time: 56.799091 seconds
DevMusic: Load music: Music Title_Music.Title_Music
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 0
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 1
Log: Loading: Package DXFonts
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=Player
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Browse:
Index.dx?loadgame=12?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Loading: Package saveInfo
Log: Unloading: Package DX
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=Player
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: LoadMap:
..\Save\Current\03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.dxs?load?loadonly?loadgame?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Log: Loading: Package 03_NYC_UNATCOIsland
Log: Loading: Package UNATCO
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexDetail
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexMetal
Log: Loading: Package Mobile_Camp
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexStone
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexMisc
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexBrick
Log: Loading: Package NYCBar
Log: Loading: Package NewYorkCity
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexWood
Log: Loading: Package BatteryPark
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexFoliage
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexConcrete
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexSky
Log: Loading: Package LibertyIsland_Music
Init: Shut down moving brush tracker for Level DX.MyLevel
Warning: Type mismatch in Region of GameReplicationInfo: file 10,
class 2
Warning: Skipping 6 bytes of type 10
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 0
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 1
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unloading: Package Title_Music
DevMusic: Unregister music: Music Title_Music.Title_Music
Log: Unloading: Package DXFonts
Log: Unloading: Package saveInfo
Log: Garbage: objects: 28098->27857; refs: 355680
Log: Loading: Package DeusExConText
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport0
ScriptLog: Login: Player
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: JCDentonMale
03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.JCDentonMale0
ScriptLog: All inventory from Player is accepted
ScriptLog: DeusExLevelInfo - Spawned new mission script
'DeusEx.Mission03'
Init: Initialized moving brush tracker for Level
03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.MyLevel
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 0
Log: Flushed Glide TMU 1
DevMusic: Load music: Music LibertyIsland_Music.LibertyIsland_Music
ScriptLog: **** InitStateMachine() - 03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.JCDentonMale0
started mission state machine for 03_NYC_UNATCOISLAND
Log: Loading: Package DeusExConAudioAIBarks
Log: Loading: Package DeusExConAudioMission03
Log: Export travel for: Player
Log: Browse:
03_NYC_UNATCOHQ?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale#unatcohq
Init: Shut down moving brush tracker for Level
03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.MyLevel
Log: Unloading: Package 03_NYC_UNATCOIsland
Log: Save=1070.785533
Log: Moving '..\Save\Current\Save.tmp' to
'..\Save\Current\03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.dxs'
Init: Initialized moving brush tracker for Level
03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.MyLevel
Log: LoadMap:
03_NYC_UNATCOHQ?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale#unatcohq
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Log: Loading: Package 03_NYC_UNATCOHQ
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexGlass
Log: Loading: Package Paris
Log: Loading: Package Constructor
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexWallObj
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexTiles
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexTextile
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexPaper
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexWater
Log: Loading: Package area51textures
Log: Loading: Package V_Com_Center
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexCeramic
Log: Loading: Package UNATCO_Music
Init: Shut down moving brush tracker for Level
03_NYC_UNATCOIsland.MyLevel
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: InPos<=Size
[File:..\..\Core\Inc\FFileManagerWindows.h] [Line: 57]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully.
(0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGlideRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: FArchiveFileReader::Seek
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Seek
Critical: TLazyArray<<
Critical: FMipmap<<
Critical: SerializeMips
Critical: UTexture::Serialize
Critical: LoadObject
Critical: (Texture CoreTexMisc.BW_SatPic_A00 2101268==2101268/6031976
2084788 22046)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Preload
Critical: PreLoadObjects
Critical: UObject::EndLoad
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Engine.Level None.MyLevel 03_NYC_UNATCOHQ)
Critical: LoadLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LoadURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: ClientTravel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 08/06/00 18:33:30

Colin Carey

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
I too have assertion errors. I could usually get past with a reboot,
but I am stuck now.
I reported this to their support desk and they reffered me to a long
thread on their discussion forum.
Two things can be concluded:-
1 lots of people seem to have similar problems
2 they do not have the answere yet!

Ah well back to Icewind

Colin

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 12:18:24 -0700, Jim <cars...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Deus Ex keeps bombing out on me at the end of the first scenario,
>after I have captured the leader at the top of the Statue of liberty,
>as I am descending into the lower levels of the HQ, as the game is
>saving, I get dropped out with the error message:
>

>Assertion Failed Inpos<=size[file blah blah\FfileManagerWindows.h]
>Line 57
>
>Then a lot more gobbledeegook

thebig...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2016, 5:34:59 PM8/21/16
hey i was playing deus ex oneday and it said that my save couldnt be found

"Failed launching url, Cant find file '../save/current/03_NYC_Airfield.dsx.

please help, I really want to play this game

Spalls Hurgenson

Aug 22, 2016, 9:07:03 AM8/22/16
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 14:34:57 -0700 (PDT), thebig...@gmail.com
wrote:

>hey i was playing deus ex oneday and it said that my save couldnt be found
>"Failed launching url, Cant find file '../save/current/03_NYC_Airfield.dsx.
>please help, I really want to play this game

Well, the first thing I would do is make sure that file still
exists...