IBM Fix Central

Thomas Hauber

Feb 18, 2010, 5:35:02 PM2/18/10
What has IBM done to Fix Central? It has been about 3 weeks since I
last ran it and now the website is downloading 1473 ptfs to my system!
Most of the patches are described as follows:

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR SE23005 :
THE HELP FOR THE DISPLAY NETWORK SERVER DETAILS SCREEN,
DISPLAYED FOR OPTION 5 (DISPLAY DETAILS) OF THE WORK WITH
NETWORK SERVER STATUS (WRKNWSSTS) COMMAND, DOES NOT SUPPORT
LINUX SERVERS.

Surely there cannot be 1400+ patches for this?

iseriesflorida

Feb 19, 2010, 7:59:36 AM2/19/10

You have your system setup to get them automatically??

Pat Barber

Feb 23, 2010, 4:38:35 PM2/23/10
You need to read that screen VERY carefully....

The default is to download directly to your system.

Thomas Hauber

Feb 25, 2010, 1:42:33 PM2/25/10
No I manually get the fixes usually once or twice a month.

Thomas Hauber

Feb 25, 2010, 1:45:44 PM2/25/10
I know that the ptfs are directly downloading to my system. This is
something I have done for years.

My question is since IBM changed the format of the website, it now looks
like every possible ptf is being evaluated and downloaded to my system.
After I finished I had several hundred ptfs on my system of which only
a few dozen actually were necessary. This is a change from how the
website/process used to work. Before the ptfs were winnowed down to
only what was required for your system.

CRPence

Feb 25, 2010, 2:23:56 PM2/25/10

On the effective equivalent feature, the CL command SNDPTFORD, is
the ability to define whether only requisites that are *REQUIRED
at\for the target system are downloaded, or if all requisites are
downloaded irrespective of what is installed on the target system.
Is there perhaps some similar checkbox or other feature of the GUI
which has been [re]set to download all requisites versus only those
required at\for the target system?

Regards, Chuck

Thomas Hauber

Feb 25, 2010, 3:17:29 PM2/25/10
I will double check that, but it was always set before to only download
for the target machine.

Thomas Hauber

Feb 25, 2010, 3:29:08 PM2/25/10
On 2/25/2010 11:23 AM, CRPence wrote:
The interesting thing is when you do the quick order for HIPERs there is
no option for target machine only. IBM must have changed something in
their last GUI redesign and took that option out.

amc

Feb 25, 2010, 11:18:01 PM2/25/10

on the new fix central page, after you have selected the groups you
want, make sure you click "Customize your order"

as it says "To customize your order, you can connect to the system for
which you are ordering fixes and validate your download list against
the inventory of the system. PTFs already installed on the system or
for products not supported on the system will be removed from your
order."